- All-Star Cast: While they already had Jessica Lange, this is the season where the number of Oscar winners and nominees exploded. They have two winners (Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates) and two nominees (Angela Bassett and Gabourey Sidibenote ).
- Dawson Casting:
- The real Marie Laveau would have been in her 30s when Madame LaLaurie's crimes were discovered. She's played by Angela Bassett, who is in her 50s.
- Misty Day is said to be not too much older than the other girls, making her late teens/early twenties. She is played by Lily Rabe, who was in her early 30s at the time of filming.
- Playing Against Type
- Emma Roberts had played The Cutie a lot before taking on the role of Alpha Bitch Madison, including Its Kind Of A Funny Story and her supremely innocent Nancy Drew. Although it's subverted as her most famous role at the time was Jill Roberts, a murderous Bitch in Sheep's Clothing.
- Delphine LaLaurie certainly isn't Kathy Bates's first villain, but Bates hasn't played a lot of racists, more often embodying the friendlier aspects of the South.
- Promoted Fanboy: In the behind the scenes footage, Lily Rabe reveals she was already a big Stevie Knicks fan (even saying Mistys her inner fangirl amped up) and was elated to get to work with her.
- What Could Have Been: There were apparently talks to give Coven a spin-off series, but Ryan Murphy ultimately decided to wrap up everything in this season. This would likely explain why there was so much word-building put in that wasn't touched, and several arcs being cut short. Notably, Ryan Murphy is now making a separate show that seems to be the Spiritual Successor to Coven, Scream Queens.
- Episode 9 "Head" was the second time an FX series closed an episode with some version of the song "Oh Freedom". Sons of Anarchy closed their season two episode "Falx Cerebri" with a choir version of the same song.
Trivia / American Horror Story: Coven