The daughter of Eric and the niece of Julia, singer/actress (but mainly actress) Emma Rose Roberts was born on February 10, 1991 in Rhinebeck, New York. Given her first break by Nickelodeon thanks to Unfabulous, she's gone on to hang around mermaids, English boarding schools, canines, and Hayden Panettiere (both advertise Neutrogena, both appear on the soundtrack to Ice Princessnote , and both have key roles in Scream 4).
- Unfabulous (2004 — 2007) as Addie Singer
- Aquamarine (2006) as Claire Brown
- Nancy Drew (2007) as Nancy Drew
- Hotel for Dogs (2009) as Andi
- 188.8.131.52 (2010) as Joanne
- It's Kind of a Funny Story (2010) as Noelle
- Scream 4 (2011) as Jill Roberts
- Celeste And Jesse Forever (2012) as Riley Banks
- We're the Millers (2013) as Casey Mathis
- American Horror Story (2013 — present) in various roles:
- Scream Queens (2015 — 2016) as Chanel Oberlin
- The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) as Joan
- Nerve (2016) as Vee Delmonico
- Billionaire Boys Club (2018) as Sydney Evans
- Uglydolls (2019) as Wedgehead
Tropes associated with Emma Roberts:
- Actor Allusion: In an episode of Scream Queens she makes a Nancy Drew joke to Grace. Emma herself has played Nancy Drew in a movie.
- The Danza: Last name variety. She plays Jill Roberts in Scream 4.
- Dye Hard: Naturally brunette but is best known as a blonde.
- Genre-Killer: Hotel for Dogs marks as the swan song for Roberts' family-friendly image and Nice Girl roles, while Scream 4 gave birth to the darker, but spunkier Roberts we have recently grown to be familiar with, therefore rebooting her acting career from that point on. Emma would not return to the family genre until Uglydolls.
- Playing Against Type: At first her playing a crazed fame whore in Scream 4 was a surprise twist. Since then, Emma has played a Bratty Half-Pint in Wild Child and Alpha Bitches in American Horror Story and Scream Queens (2015). So it's not quite as surprising anymore to a point by now it made her past child actress resume a forgotten period of her career. Nerve seems to be a return to sympathetic characters.
- Reality Subtext: She is a huge Jojo fan, which helps add to the dependency her character Claire feels to Jojo's Hailey in Aquamarine.
- Romance on the Set: With her American Horror Story co-star Evan Peters.
- Those Two Actors: She spends a lot of working time with Hayden Panettiere although they've only made one film together so far; on the other hand, she's also made three films with Rory Culkin (Lymelife, Twelve and the aforementioned Scream 4). She also stars with Billie Lourd in Scream Queens, Billionaire Boys Club and American Horror Story.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: During her Unfabulous years, Emma did family-friendly films. After the series ended, she went to a mature and darker route with films such as Wild Child and Scream 4.
- Typecasting: In her teen star days, she was likely to play a Plucky Girl or some kind of Woobie. Since entering her twenties, she's carved out a niche playing various Alpha Bitches. As a result, Emma's past good girl roles that stemmed from since she was a kid has largely been forgotten and overshadowed by Emma's recent Alpha Bitch work that audiences have grown used to by now.
- What Could Have Been: She was offered the role of Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad before Margot Robbie was cast, but turned it down due to filming commitments to Scream Queens.