If that's not friendship, then what is?
If that's not music, then what is?"
The Naked Brothers Band (2007-2009) is a Mockumentary Nickelodeon show about two boys, Nat and Alex Wolff, who have a successful band. Most of the episodes feature the boys' music. It started out as a 2005 independent film which became highly successful at film festivals, leading to Nick approaching the boys' mom, Polly Draper, to commission a TV series out of it with her as its producer and head writer.
As a side note, Draper wrote herself out of an on-camera role by making the boys' "mother" "dead", despite her husband and sons using their real names. Thus, she is possibly the first person in the history of the entertainment industry to literally commit career suicide.
And no, none of the characters are naked. The band name was made up on the fly when Nat and Alex were singing in the bathtub.
This series provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: To the point where every adult seems to be mentally challenged.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: As a meta-example a serious candidate for the all-time record.
- Bigger Than Jesus: In the season 3 episode titled "Polar Bears", the reporters hear Alex say that the band is "bigger than Santa Claus." However, Alex was referring to the sizes of their pictures rather than their fame.
- Child Popstar: The eponymous band.
- Child Prodigy: The entire band, especially Rosalina as she plays a wide range of instruments.
- Growing Up Sucks: Remember that sweet little indie movie? What's cute when you're eight and your "fans" are grown-up is annoying when you're 13 and your real fans are mostly eight.
- Hilarity Ensues: Boy, does it ever.
- Merchandise-Driven: The band actually had their music and merchandise out in stores.
- Mockumentary: Though most of the Camera Tricks tropes that would be used in a mockumentary or The Documentary have been averted.
- Non-Indicative Name: Had nothing to do with nudity.
- Older Than They Look: Nat was 13-15 when the show aired, but looked about 10.
- Parental Abandonment: Nat and Alex's dad is the only parent around, and he's absent in favor of doing other things.
- Precocious Crush: Alex's crush on his babysitter Jesse, who is significantly older than he is.
- Prince and Pauper: In "Bar Mitzvah"
- Samus Is a Girl: Juanita.
- Stage Mom: The writer herself (their mother) defied this by writing herself as dead in-series.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: The band plays many songs throughout the show, many of the songs reflecting the characters' feelings or revolving around the episode's conflict.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Alex's durag.
- Word Salad Title