As a side note, Draper wrote herself out of an on-camera role by making the boys' "mother" "dead", despite her husband and sons using their real names. Thus, she is possibly the first person in the history of the entertainment industry to literally commit career suicide.
And no, none of the characters are naked. The band name was made up on the fly when Nat and Alex were singing in the bathtub.
This series provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: To the point where every adult seems to be mentally challenged.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: As a meta-example a serious candidate for the all-time record.
- Bigger Than Jesus: In one episode, a member of the band tells the press that they're "Bigger than Santa Claus."
- Child Popstar: The eponymous band.
- The Documentary
- Growing Up Sucks: Remember that sweet little indie movie? What's cute when you're eight and your "fans" are grown-up is annoying when you're 13 and your real fans are mostly eight.
- Hilarity Ensues: Boy, does it ever.
- Merchandise-Driven: The band actually had their music and merchandise out in stores.
- Mockumentary: Though most of the Camera Tricks tropes that would be used in a mockumentary or The Documentary have been averted.
- Older Than They Look: Nat was 13-15 when the show aired, but looked about 10.
- Parental Abandonment - Nat and Alex's dad is the only parent around, and he's absent in favor of doing other things.
- Prince and Pauper: in "Bar Mitzvah"
- Samus Is a Girl: Juanita.
- Stage Mom: The writer herself (their mother) defied this by writing herself as dead in-series.
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Alex's Old Glory bandanna.
- Word Salad Title