A Modern World incorporates around thirty different countries. It uses the same roleplay techniques as its parent game, but adheres to using real world geography, climate, natural resources, and population as opposed to NationStates more ambiguous set up. Founded by Drapol in 2003/2004, the group has included three different incarnations starting on Jolt and surviving on to the new forums.
A Modern World contains examples of:
- Author Appeal: Chrinthania, with their surf-crazed hippies and over abundance of Shirtless Scene and Mr. Fanservice.
- Author Avatar: Averted, fortunately. Though several characters enact policies their players support.
- Dirty Communists: In shorter supply than the real-world, but there's still Dra-pol and Beddgelert.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Beddgelert ostensibly went to war with Tsalland because the latter was dumping Bibles across the borders of the former.
- The Empire: Several, though the nation most like the trope is the Principality of Gandvik.
- Empire with a Dark Secret: The Grand Empire of the Shield, which has now turned into a realistic, struggling Republic.
- Expy: While there are no countries identical to their real-life counterparts, many states fulfill a similar purpose in AMW.
- Here There Be Dragons: Parts of the world that are unclaimed by players are In and Out of Character OOC often referred to as "Dragonland" for this reason.
- Mega-Corp: Most of the Persian Gulf states were once controlled by a private company.
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo: Averted, though no nuclear weapon has been used against a city so far, Walmington and Nibelunc went on to Nuke 'em with tactical weapons in Dra-Pol and Areopagitican.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: By the truckload. Choist People's Republic of Dra-pol and the Federal Democratic Republic of Beddgelert all play this straight.
- Retcon: Justified by countries dropping out of existence.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Most of them deliver even worse governments.
- Theme Naming: Happens a lot in the different militaries, with often mythical names for Nibelung weapon systems.
- Those Wacky Nazis: The Christian Phalangist Union.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Tends to happen when countries cease to exist since the players behind them left.