"Welcome to Monoworld, the most Despairing place on Earth! upupupu..."
Monoworld is a forum and Skype based roleplay based on Danganronpa. In it, 17 students of Hope's Peak Academy were brought to the titular Monoworld, an amusement park. In order to escape, one student has to kill another while getting away with it in the resulting Class Trial. As students are killed and executed, new areas open.
The game started on November 29th 2015. The game entered its final chapter, Chapter 4, on May 24th 2016.
The game officially ended on July 17th 2016, with the successful defeat of the Mastermind. The sequel, Monoworld 2: So You Think You're An Ultimate is in an indefinite hiatus due to inactivity and lack of interest.
The game can be found here: http://monoworld.freeforums.net/
There is also a RPG game based on Monoworld in development, made with RPG Maker MV, which features the cast of the roleplay, plus characters not found in the roleplay itself.
Monoworld features examples of the following tropes:
- Amusement Park of Doom: Monoworld's main setting.
- Anyone Can Die: Of course.
- Big Bad: Monokuma and the Masterminds Barry Langevin and Mariko Nakazawa.
- Cast of Snowflakes: No two characters look alike.
- Characters Dropping Like Flies
- Convicted by Public Opinion: How the class trials work.
- Cruel and Unusual Death
- Children Forced to Kill
- Death by Irony: The executions are based on the culprit's talent.
- Death by Despair
- Deadly Game
- Death Is a Sad Thing: People can forget that regardless how popular or unpopular someone was, these are still teenagers. Scared, lonely teenagers who, for the most part probably never before have had to deal with so much death. It's not unusual to see at least one person close to a breakdown.
- Gotta Kill Em All
- Shout-Out: One area mentions that it doesn't exactly fill you with determination.
- You Can't Go Home Again