The result of trying to get his spatula from the ceiling (It Makes Sense in Context) results in Spongebob getting a splinter. It's not so bad at first, but when he tries to pull it off it turns into a ton of incredibly overdramatic trouble. And it just keeps getting worse when the splinter swells up to nauseous levels...
Its a normal day at the Krusty Krab and Spongebob is excited to spend another day at his favorite job. Things go south when, in his excitement, he winds up getting his spatula stuck in the ceiling. He stacks up a tower of crates full of dangerous and sharp objects (including swords) and wrenches the utensil out, nearly getting stabbed in the process. Hes save when his spatula catches on a sword blade and he slides off with little hassle and no worse for wear. And then he slips on tatar sauce. He slides across the ground as his thumb is punctured by a stray piece of wood which gets lodged in. Being too weak to pull it out his hand becomes too sore to hold the spatula, to which he ties it to his nose. Squidward finds out about Spongebobs injury and decides to mess with him for cheap laughs. Fearing that hell be sent home, Spongebob decides to get medical help too bad that medical help means Patrick. Dr. Patrick gives Spongebob a garbage compress to deal with the swelling and hammering it in to make sure but only makes it way worse. After helping he takes leave as his shift is over. When Spongebob returns to the kitchen it turns out Squidward squealed on him; forced to show his wound Sponge lifts up his thumb, now swollen several times as large, puke green, and leaking pus. Mr. Krabs, being made of stronger stuff than Squidward, pulls the splinter out with a burst of confetti and a big spray of pus. Squidward learns that he could have left hours ago if he called workers comp and beats himself with the cash register. It turns out he did it in vain as his shift ended two minutes ago. The episode ends here.
The Splinter provides examples of (YMMV examples go here)...
- An Aesop: It's important to tell a grownup something is wrong with you, even though it may have consequences.
- Bottle Episode: The entire episode is set at the Krusty Krab, manly the kitchen.
- Fainting: Squidward collapses at the sight of the size of Spongebob's swollen splinter.
- Fingore: The closeup of SpongeBob getting a splinter in his thumb is rather detailed.
- Forgot About His Powers: Sea sponges' body parts grow back if they fall off; therefor SpongeBob doesn't bother to remove the arm with the splinter in it so a new one can grow in its place.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: You can actually see SpongeBob remove his spatula from the ceiling when he says "Boy, this thing is really stuck," but he doesn't realize it.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: The close-ups of the splinter.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: So very much.
- Justified, as the splinter swells up to absurd lengths.
- Mundane Solution: After Patrick spends the entire episode doing everything he could to make the problem worse, Mr. Krabs takes one look at the splinter, and just pulls it out.
- Took a Level in Jerkass / Took a Level in Dumbass: Patrick thought that smashing the splinter further into SpongeBob's thumb and then putting garbage on his thumb would help stop it from swelling, and when SpongeBob rightfully complains to Patrick about it, he thinks that SpongeBob doesn't want his help despite the fact that he was worsening the problem.
Slide Whistle Stooges
Spongebob and Patrick love their slide whistles so much that they pester Squidward to join in on their fun, too!
The episode begins with Spongebob and Patrick adding slide whistles to everything Squidward does, whether he likes it or not. Unable to stand it, he flees his house and the dim duo take chase thinking hes finally playing with them. He snatches one of the whistles to give them a taste of their own medicine but it only makes them think hes great at it. The terrible trio then go around town blowing their slide whistles but Squidward takes it too far; annoying various citizens and impersonating a baby for a quick joke (making the mother call him a "baby assaulter). The citizens form an angry mod and chase after Squidward as he commanders a gas truck. Not minding the road he smashes through the Chum Bucket (to Krabs delight), the Krusty Krab (to Krabs sorrow), and several buildings before plunging off a cliff after he misinterprets Spongebobs question of if he wants to stop (as in stop the truck). The truck goes up in a fireball and the crowd cheers at his demise; Spongebob and Patrick play Fryderyk Chopins Funeral March mournfully in their slide whistles. Turns out that Squidward survived but now he has his whistle lodged in his throat and the hospital unable to take it out. Spongebob and Patrick finish the episode by messing around the hospital on their slide whistles.
Slide Whistle Stooges provides examples of (YMMV examples go here)...
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: When SpongeBob becomes concerned for Squidward's sanity, he asks Patrick, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?", and Patrick is actually thinking about sticking his hand in his belly button, and Patrick admits, "Probably not."
- Black Comedy: When Squidward presumably perishes in a fiery explosion the crowd cheers for his death.
- Butt-Monkey: Squidward.
- Felony Misdemeanor: The people in Bikini Bottom treat Squidward's over-the-top annoyance as a thing that should be punishable by death.
- Selective Enforcement: Bikini Bottom wants Squidward's blood after his hijinks with a slide whistle around town, while Spongebob and Patrick's similar antics in a hospital are met with...uproarious laughter.