SpongeBob becomes "normal", and it's boring.
Not Normal contains examples of:
- An Aesop: Be Yourself.
- Brick Joke: At one point, SpongeBob points out that Squidward doesn't wear pants. The next time Squidward is seen, he is wearing pants in his "normal" form.
- Broken Record: "Hi, how are ya?" "Wonderful weather we're having."
- Creepy Monotone: SpongeBob speaks like this when he's normal.
- Eye Scream: SpongeBob's first attempt to make himself abnormal again causes his eyeballs to pop out of his head.
- "Flowers for Algernon" Syndrome: After SpongeBob is no longer a zany cartoon character, he winds up creating ink and paper Krabby Patties, causing Mr. Krabs to suspend him from work for the time being. SpongeBob then finds out he is incompatible with Patrick's ideas for fun. Squidward's reception for SpongeBob's change in character was positive at first, but gets annoyed at the latter's criticisms regarding his lifestyle and appearance. SpongeBob ultimately decides being normal is no fun for him, and tries to revert to his original personality with Patrick's help.
- Medium-Shift Gag: When Squidward compares SpongeBob to people that are normal, it cuts to a shot of live-action fish in a tank.
- Sdrawkcab Speech: During the montage of making SpongeBob abnormal again, Patrick tells SpongeBob to talk backwards.SpongeBob: Tap, erus uoy era note
- Staggered Zoom: When SpongeBob sees Squidward having turned himself normal like he is, prompting him to freak out and change back to his original self.
SpongeBob wakes up to find everyone in Bikini Bottom has disappeared.
Gone contains examples of:
- An Aesop: If you're going away for a while, it's best to let someone know in order to keep them from worrying.
- Apocalyptic Log: SpongeBob keeps one in this episode.
- Bedmate Reveal: Happens when SpongeBob wakes up and assumes everything up to that point was All Just a Dream, only to see his new boatmobile next to him in his bed.
- Cope by Pretending: Upon realizing that Bikini Bottom is deserted, SpongeBob's immediate response is to imitate everyone in town, giving up only when he realizes the task is impossible.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: SpongeBob eventually goes crazy from Bikini Bottom being deserted except for him.
- Hand Puppet: SpongeBob uses one made out of a pile of krabby patty meat that he shapes into Patrick.
- Here We Go Again!: Everyone, including SpongeBob, leave to celebrate No Patrick Day, leaving said starfish out in the middle of nowhere, wondering where everybody is.
- Kick the Dog: When everyone comes back, it turns out they were celebrating National No SpongeBob Day, which involves burning a large stake shaped like SpongeBob and dancing on its ashes.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: It turns out the reason everyone was gone is because it was National No SpongeBob Day, though it lasted for weeks.