Originally aired December 3, 2010
Written by Bryan Q. Miller
Directed by Kelly Souders
After Tess receives a Kryptonian artifact, Clark activates the artifact and is transported to Earth-2, an Alternate Universe where Kal-El was found and raised by Lionel Luthor instead of the Kents. Clark Luthor, Clark's Earth-2 counterpart, ends up on Earth-1 and begins wreaking havoc.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Abusive Dad: Earth-2 Lionel, who's perhaps worse than his Earth-1 counterpart.
- Alternate Universe: Earth-2. Where Clark Kent is a beacon of hope and light on Earth-1, Clark Luthor is Lionel Luthor's murderous enforcer on Earth-2.
- Antagonist Title: The episode's title is the last name of Earth-2 Lionel and Clark.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Earth-2 Tess does this to Earth-2 Lionel after he dismisses her as a "tramp with a Magdalene complex."
- Badass Boast: Tess tells Lois, "Watchtower is everywhere." Lois had effectively joined the Justice League in the previous episode, and Tess wants to make it clear that, with her Hollywood Hacking skills, she can find Lois anywhere and contact her. In this episode, Lois tries to ignore a phone call from Tess because she assumes it's work-related, then learns that Tess can see her on any security camera and keeps track of every cell phone in the area. Lois needs to realize that, if Tess wants to contact her, it might be because the Justice League needs Lois.
- Badass Normal: Earth-2 Lionel, who beats a Kryptonite-weakened Clark Kent with nothing but his belt.
- Bad Boss: Clark Luthor is heavily implied to be this to his employees at LuthorCorp Media, Earth-2's version of the Daily Planet.
- Beware the Superman: Earth-2 is a dystopian world where people live in fear of Ultraman, the alter ego of Clark Luthor.
- Bring It:Clark Luthor: Give me the box, Tess.[Tess hesitates. Clark Luthor raises his eyebrows expectantly.]Tess: And if I don't?
- Cain and Abel: Clark Luthor and Earth-2 Lex had this sort of relationship. Clark Luthor, as it turns out, murdered Earth-2 Lex with Earth-2 Lionel's approval.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Scenes set on Earth-2 are filmed this way.
- Don't Make Me Take My Belt Off: Earth-2 Lionel takes off his belt and beats a Kryptonite-weakened Clark Kent while delivering his Social Darwinist rant.
- Evil Twin: Clark Luthor is Clark Kent's counterpart on Earth-2. And there is Earth-2 Lionel, whose late main counterpart died a hero and wasn't as evil even at his worst.
- I'll Kill You!: Clark Luthor's response to Tess' Bring It, though he utters it calmly rather than shout it.
- In the Blood: Defied. Clark Kent begins the episode harboring the belief that "Luthor blood is poison," but his experiences with Earth-2 Lionel cause him to change his position and he remarks to Tess in the final act that Lionel himself is the reason his children turned out the way they did.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Earth-2 Lionel, after The Reveal that he somehow made it to Earth-1, remarks to a newspaper vendor that he made it back to Metropolis in the nick of time before looking right at the camera and saying:Earth-2 Lionel: Wouldn't want to miss how it all turns out. [turns and walks off]
- Motive Rant: Earth-2 Lionel launches into one as he beats a Kryptonite-weakened Clark Kent with his belt.Earth-2 Lionel: [to Clark Kent] I made your destiny—your future, our future—my whole preoccupation. For God's sake, Clark, I let you kill Lex, your own brother, my son!Clark Kent: It wasn't me.Earth-2 Lionel: [angrily kicks Clark in the face] I've been afraid of you, Clark—of your power. You know, you may want to use that, uh, box and escape from here, but the truth is that I'm the one that's been a prisoner all this time.Clark Kent: Let me use the mirror box. I'll go away. You'll never have to worry about me again.Earth-2 Lionel: Not worry about you?! [angrily kicks Clark across the ground] That's all I've ever done—worry about you! I have sacrificed everything for your sake. [takes off his belt and starts beating Clark Kent with it] I failed you, Clark. Because no true son of mine, no true Luthor, would have let me live this long!Clark Kent: Not my choices.Earth-2 Lionel: [continues beating Clark Kent] You're right. I made you this way. And because I have failed you, Clark, it's got to be survival of the fittest! Whether you're on this earth or any other, I am the most fit! I will be the survivor!
- Odd Name Out: Lionel, Lex, Lutessa...Clark?
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Tess, Lois, and Oliver holding their own against Clark Luthor in Watchtower.
- Plot Device: The Kryptonian mirror box.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Earth-2 Lionel gives a short but cutting one to Earth-2 Tess.Earth-2 Lionel: Clark is a god among men. Though how he could love you, a consummate disappointment, is beyond me. You're nothing but trouble, Tess. You're corrupting him.Earth-2 Tess: You take a good, long look in the mirror at the person who's responsible for corrupting Clark.Earth-2 Lionel: I have worked too long and too hard to let you, a little half-bred tramp with a Magdalene complex, ruin everything.
- The Social Darwinist: Invoked by Earth-2 Lionel during his Motive Rant.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: Clark Luthor for a brief moment after he makes a Three-Point Landing inside Watchtower and sends Lois and Tess flying backwards.Clark Luthor: [stands up] Get up, Tess. [beat] GET UP!!!
- Super Window Jump: Clark Luthor comes crashing into Watchtower through the skylight and makes a Three-Point Landing.
- Three-Point Landing: Clark Luthor does this after crashing down into Watchtower through the skylight, complete with Ground Pound.
- Villain of the Week: Both Clark Luthor and Earth-2 Lionel Luthor fill this role, Clark Luthor on Earth-1 and Earth-2 Lionel on Earth-2.
- Villainous Incest: Clark Luthor and Earth-2 Tess, apparently.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We never find out what happens to Earth-2 Tess.