Volume 5, Episode 11:
The More the Merrier
Ruby and company meet with Lionheart, who is less than thrilled to see that not only is everyone armed but there are more people than he thought.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Big "NO!":
- Upon seeing Jaune and Cinder charging towards each other, Ruby gets a flashback to Pyrrha's death. Unwilling to watch another friend die at Cinder's hands, she yells "No!" as her Silver Eyes power activates.
- Jaune screams "No!" just before Cinder launches her spear at Weiss.
- Broken Faceplate: Downplayed. When Cinder is briefly stunned by Ruby's short-lived use of the Silver Eyes power, Jaune is able to get a strike in. Cinder moves her head just in time to avoid a killing blow, and the edge of Jaune's sword cuts a tiny chip out of the black ceramic covering of her ruined eye.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: After Jaune lets loose a lengthy emotional outburst at Cinder for her remorselessness over the havoc she has wrought and the despair she has thrown him into, he starts to cry towards the end and demands that she say something. She pauses for a moment, then simply asks who he is. Jaune is frozen with shock for a moment, before his rage snaps and he charges towards her, sword first.
- Call-Back: When Cinder's party confronts the protagonists, Mercury sees Yang and mockingly claims she owes him an apology for his leg.
- Cliffhanger: At the end of the episode, Cinder creates a javelin that looks very similar to Pyrrha's and throwing it at Weiss. Weiss is impaled through through torso, freezing into stillness on her knees, in the exact same pose as Pyrrha died in. The final shot of the scene is the javelin burning away to cinders, reminiscent of Cinder burning away Pyrrha's body, and a slight hint of Weiss beginning to fall to the ground.
- Continuity Nod: In "Known by its Song", Yang comments to Weiss that the red-eyed raven circling her mother's tent is a bird she's seen before just before the bird transforms into Raven right in front of them. In this episode, when Qrow leads the gang to Haven to confront Leo, Yang looks around the room while Qrow and the headmaster speak. Discovering the same raven perched on the bannister, Yang correctly guesses that it's her mother.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- Jaune's fight with Cinder is predictably one-sided, with Cinder toying with Jaune and barely putting any weight behind her swings to knock him off balance. Even when Cinder is distracted for a moment by Ruby's Silver Eye powers, Jaune just barely strikes a glancing blow at her mask before she can dodge. All it does is enrage Cinder into ending the fight immediately, leaving him pinned underneath her foot while she rants about his audacity in fighting her.
- Weiss is unable to land any substantial hits on Vernal, who makes sure to get in close and destroy her summons every time she makes them, and quickly breaks Weiss's aura when she has the chance.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Jaune just barely scrapes the mask over the damaged portion of Cinder's face. She pins him to the ground with a foot while she rants about his audacity in thinking he could fight her. When she realizes he values his friends' lives above his own, she creates a javelin that looks similar to Pyrrha's, and impales Weiss. She deliberately evokes the way she killed Pyrrha, simply to get back at Jaune.
- Flaming Sword: Cinder conjures up a sword of fire so she can fight Jaune.
- Hope Spot: During the battle, Ruby notices Jaune getting beaten by Cinder and flashes back to the death of Pyrrha. Her terror of Pyrrha's death happening again, triggers her Silver Eye power. Although it disrupts Cinder's power and forces her to her knees, Emerald knocks Ruby unconscious before anything else can happen.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Weiss is speared from behind by a javelin created and thrown by Cinder, in a deliberate recreation of Pyrrha's death, just to torment Jaune. The javelin looks similar to Pyrrha's and the episode ends with Weiss impaled in a kneeling position and the javelin burning away into cinders as Weiss's life appears to drain away.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: The first time Ruby's Silver Eye power activated, it froze an enormous Grimm Dragon and crippled Cinder for an entire volume. When Ruby witnesses Jaune about to suffer the same fate at Cinder's hands that Pyrrha did, she screams and her Silver Eye power activates again. As the silver light begins to flood the entire room, Emerald quickly knocks Ruby unconscious from behind, killing the moment. Although Cinder's power disintegrates as she collapses to her knees in pain, she is only momentarily foiled.
- Oh, Crap!: When Leo sees Oscar approaching him, he attempts to convince the child to go away. Failing, he activates his weapon and fires a fiery boulder at Oscar, who tanks it with his Aura. Oscar then slowly reaches for Ozpin's cane and reveals it, prompting Lionheart to gasp in horror upon realizing he's facing Ozpin's newest reincarnation.
- Overcrank: Cinder just barely dodging Jaune's thrusting sword after she's stunned by Ruby's Silver Eyes powers is in noticeable slow motion.
- Precision F-Strike: Jaune openly voices his disgust at Cinder being able to live with the destruction she has caused "all with that damn smile on [her] face".
- Redemption Rejection: When Team RWBY encounters Raven, the latter declines Qrow's offer to hand over the Spring Maiden and help them fight against Salem, citing that the latter is unstoppable. Ruby also tries to convince Raven to join forces with the others, reasoning that they've done impossible feats by working together. But Raven simply tells Ruby that she reminds her of Summer, and opens a portal to allow Cinder's team to attack. Outraged by this, Qrow gives up on Raven completely.
- The Reveal: When Qrow learns the extent to which Leo has been working for Salem, he suddenly realizes that the reason all those huntsmen he's been searching for have disappeared is because, as a member of the Mistral Council, Leo would know their identities and locations; he gave that information to Salem, who in turn had them all murdered, leaving the kingdom and Haven Academy defenseless.
- Smash to Black: The episode ends with an abrupt cut to black after Weiss is seen beginning to fall forward after being run through the abdomen with Cinder's spear, leaving her fate ambiguous.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Qrow's reaction when he discovers that Raven has joined forces with Salem and is willing to put the lives of Qrow and Team RWBY at risk is outrage. Despite Qrow's cynicism about Raven's loyalties, he had enough faith in her to believe that she'd never betray them like this. By this point, he's given up on her completely, telling Raven in no uncertain terms that she's crossed the line and disowning her.
- Title Drop: When Lionheart comments on Qrow's group now including Weiss, Yang, and Oscar, Qrow says, "You know what they say, the more the merrier."
- Trauma Button: During Ruby's fight with Emerald she notices Jaune fighting Cinder and experiences a flashback to Cinder murdering Pyrrha. This triggers her Silver Eye powers, but she is so distracted that Emerald easily knocks her out before Cinder can be too badly harmed.
- Unknown Rival: Pyrrha's murder left a profound impact on Jaune. But when he confronts Cinder, she doesn't even know who he is. The most she recalls from her infiltration is that he's "the dense one who didn't know when he's out of his league", and even that takes her most of their short fight to recall.
- Villainous Breakdown: Cinder suffers from a brief loss of control and focus after Ruby's Silver Eye power weakens her enough that Jaune gets a grazing hit in. She loses it, beats Jaune up, and angrily calls him out for thinking he could beat her. She calms down when she realises that Jaune values the lives of his friends above her own, as it gives her the idea of killing his friends to torment him. This breakdown is part of an increasingly common series of mini-eruptions that suggest Cinder is slowly undergoing a gradual villainous breakdown over the course of the volume.
- You Remind Me of X: When Raven rejects Ruby's offer to switch sides and help her and the others defeat Salem, she says "You sound just like your mother." Then, she uses a portal to allow the other villains to enter Haven Academy and attack Team RWBY.