Amy goes for her doctorate, but her thesis is used by intelligent cats as a means to destroy the Earth. With the rest of the company controlled, only Amy and Nibbler can save the day...or can they?
- A Day in the Limelight: For Amy and Nibbler.
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Amy suggests using the device the other way to restart Earth's rotation, Wernstrom mockingly points out it would rotate Earth the wrong way. However when Amy asks why that's a problem, he is utterly dumbfounded.
- Cats Are Mean: Are they ever.
- Continuity Nod: The Planet Express sub-basement, and its pool of molten lava, return as an important setting in the episode.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- Leela towards Nibbler at the beginning. He finds it patronizing.
- How the cats control the company.
- Description Cut: In the flashback, the cat leader states that after everything went bad, the top cat scientists "went to work". One is manning (catting?) a giant telescope, while the other... is cleaning itself.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Nibbler was outed as sapient in the third movie, and would like to be treated as such instead of a pet...though it's implied that he kinda likes it.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Anywu-... anyone brainwashed by the cats starts tw-... talking like this. Gets taken to incomprehensibility when Amy realizes everyone at Planet Express has been brainwashed.Fry: Just stwoke its fwuffy fwur!
Hermes: Scwatch its fuzzy chin!
Bender: Fweeble its fwoofy pwaw!
- Eureka Moment: Amy has one to figure out how to undo the cats' plans. Mocked and lampshaded by the Professor.The Professor: Pfft, you can't suddenly know something just by assembling a committee of words. (Gasp) That's it! I'll assemble your committee!
- Evil Is Petty: Professor Katz ridicules and sabotages Amy's thesis, then steals it to save his own species.Katz: Welcome to academia.
- Fanservice: Amy in underwear.
- Fan Disservice: Semi-naked and sweating Professor.
- Fluffy the Terrible: All the cats. Two of the ones named are Mister Winkles and Smudge-Smudge. The cat leader mentions an Obliteron, who masquerades as a hamster.
- Funny Background Event: As Amy gives her presentation on how to save the Earth, Fry's already fallen asleep before she's begun talking.
- Future Imperfect: The fact that a professor managed to figure out cows went "moo" is treated as a huge academic achievement.
- Genius Ditz: Amy is an ABSOLUTE Ditz. However, this reminds us, she IS an engineering graduate student who designs a machine to harness the rotational energy of the Earth. Also, she officially gains her doctorate at the end of the episode, so she is the ultimate Genius Ditz.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Nibbler claiming that nothing acts cute without an ulterior motive. Even keeping in mind his actions through the entire series, he follows this up by acting cute to trick Amy into changing his diaper.
- "We're not building something sinister, if that's what you're implying! Now come on, Bender, something sinister won't build itself!"
- I Need a Freaking Drink: The night before Amy's presentation, the gang go to the Hip Joint and have a drink to help her relax. And another. And another. And possibly several more.
- Labcoat of Science: Amy begins the episode wearing one while performing SCIENCE. She later has to borrow the Professor's when she shows up half-naked to her doctoral thesis.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Amy and Kif get it on on the floor of the Hip Joint. Only one person notices, and that's Hedonism-bot, who asks to join in.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: The cat homeworld has chicken-salmon, ideal for the hungry kitty.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream: Subverted, is not a dream. Amy has to give a lecture and doesn't realise until she's at the podium that she isn't fully dressed.
- Oh, Crap!: Amy has one early on when she realises she's hungover, and she's got to be on time to display her thesis. On Mars. In ten minutes.
- Poke the Poodle: Inbetween legitimately screwing over Earth, the cats leave a dead bird in their victims' slipper.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Amy's assessment of the cat.Amy: I gotta admit, that is one adorable cat.