Jessica Biel's climb in the polls forces Diane to come up with a way to derail her campaign. Princess Carolyn finds a new purpose after her recent losses. Todd tries to prevent his clown dentist business from shutting down. Hollyhock comes down with an unexpected condition.
- Asshole Victim: Referenced when Tom initially misunderstands where Governor Woodchuck's hands came from. He is told that they came from a pedophile-murderer and responds with "Well, if you have to murder someone".Katrina: No Tom, not a pedophile DASH murderer. A pedophile ''SLASH'' murderer!
- Continuity Nod: That line from one of Hollyhock's fathers about her being rail-thin? That's not a throw-away line - she'd been getting progressively skinnier since Beatrice started making her coffee.
- Contrived Coincidence: A waiter comes to Princess Carolyn pitching a TV Show. As Princess Carolyn is in the middle of pointing out that the odds of getting someone to take interest in a random script someone presents to them are a million to one, she notices the name of the script is Philbert, the same as her unborn child and she becomes passionate about the project on that fact alone.
- Foreshadowing: Back in episode 8, Holly is seen with her coffee cup, randomly switching TV channels, having put all the loose change in the house in alphabetical order by year, and having no appetite for ice cream or pizza. It could have been attributed to her being recently left by her Miles and being generally dorky, but now it's revealed she has been secretly drugged through her coffee for months.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The contract PC gets BoJack to sign has specific provisions against disappearing for more than three days to "find himself" or "face his inner demons", along with a number of other jokes.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Downplayed, but BoJack takes a break from having nothing but contempt for his mother to play a rousing game of Uno with her.
- Opening Shout-Out: It's revealed that Beatrice has been drugging the coffee, evoking the opening sequence this season where when BoJack drinks the coffee, things get trippy for a second.
- Papa Wolf: Hollyhock's fathers are understandably very upset about their daughter becoming hooked on amphetamines and passing out, and they believe BoJack to be the cause of this, forbidding him from even visiting her in the hospital. However, it turns out that it wasn't BoJack's doing, but Beatrice's. At which point Bojack goes papa wolf on Beatrice, taking her to the worst home he can find and sticking her in the worst room so she'll "never be able to hurt anyone ever again".
- The Reveal: Beatrice had been putting weight loss pills (or pretty pills, as she calls them in the next episode when she's putting on her debutante ball dress) in Holly's coffee.
- Serious Business: Jessica Biel's campaign is ultimately sunk by her not liking avocado.
- Take That!: As Princess Caroline is outside the studio talking to Lenny, Mary from Imaginary Mary can be seen lying beside a dumpster.
- That Came Out Wrong: Holly texts lovin that cali lifestyle to one of her dads (Otto Zilberschlag) shortly before passing out of amphetamine overdose. Her dads naturally assume this happened because of BoJack's lack of parenting skills. In fact, it was Beatrice's coffee mixed with weight loss pills.
- Toxic Friend Influence: BoJack assumes he is responsible for Hollyhock's overdose and throws pills he had in his bathroom out, believing them to be the culprit. Thankfully for him, this isn't his fault for once.
- Weight Woe: Holly's concern about her weight (which had been insensitively addressed by BoJack as well) and Beatrice's obsession with thinness become a plot point.
- Wham Line:Beatrice: ...Who is that? BoJack?