Louise, Gene, and their friends try to weasel out of the annual mile run at school so they don't miss "Free Scoop Friday" at the local ice cream shop. Unfortunately, Gene gets caught "going off course" by Mr. Frond and is forced to go through with the race. Meanwhile, Tina and Jimmy Jr. are determined to beat each other at the race, and Bob and Linda try to get discounted tickets for a show at the Wharf Arts Center.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Continuity Nod: The tickets Bob and Linda are trying to get are for Cake 2, the sequel to the stage show Bob became a fan of in "Bad Tina".
- The Determinator: Large Tommy, the slowest kid in class, nevertheless refuses to stop running, as he would cramp up if he did. In the end, Gene follows his example and finishes the run.
- Girly Run: Jimmy Jr. has an incredibly uncoordinated run. Even Tina with her own quirky running style (which, granted, is just letting her arms hang stiffly to the side) is able to outrun him.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Courtney steals her cat's GPS collar tracker and sneaks it into Large Tommys water pack so she can track him while she and her friends get ice cream so they know when to get back. Unfortunately, her dad has the same app on his phone, and seeing the GPS collar at Wagstaff makes him think their cat ran away, exposing the whole scheme when he drives over to investigate.
- Hopeless with Tech: Teddy apparently doesn't understand how phone batteries work. He thinks 23% is enough of a charge, so by the time he gets through to the ticket center, he only has a 3% charge and it gets cut off.
- Hope Spot: Teddy finally gets through to the ticket phone line... and then his phone dies in the middle of his order.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Louise, Courtney, Alex, and Regular-Sized Rudy are forced to redo the mile the next day when their scheme is exposed (at least, Mr. Frond threatens to make them do it over, since he's not sure he has the authority to do that).
- Rage Breaking Point: Bob gets as mad as he's ever been at Teddy after his phone battery dies in the middle of getting the tickets.
- Right on Queue: The last time the Belcher kids tried to get to Free Scoop Friday after school, there was a line around the block, and by the time they got to the counter all the good flavors were gone.
- Skyward Scream: Gene lets out a Big "NO!" and a Big "WHY?!" in the flashback to the last Free Scoop Friday, where by the time they got to order the only flavor left was rum raisin sorbet.