Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team is a one volume Pokémon manga by Makoto Mizobuchi. It is loosely based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team. In 2007, the manga was given a serial release in English via Nintendo Power and a bound release that same year by Viz media for their "Viz Kids" line.
It stars a boy named Ginji who goes home to look for his birthday presents the day before his birthday. He ends up falling asleep and finds himself in a universe where Pokémon can talk. Ginji, now a Torchic, ends up befriending a Mudkip. The two start a Rescue Team together and their adventure begins.
This manga contains examples of:
- Anime Hair: Ginji has spikey hair as a human.
- Baleful Polymorph:
- Ginji is a human boy who turns into a Torchic.
- It turns out that Gengar was once a human as well.
- Cowardly Lion: Mudkip is timid and a bit cowardly. He's also prone to Tender Tears.
- Delayed Reaction: Ginji uses a fire attack on Xatu while Xatu is in a psychic trance, and only gets a reaction seconds later.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: It's never explained why he has it, but Ginji has a "x" shaped scar (or birthmark) on his head.
- Humanity's Wake: Implied, assuming Ginji's adventure was real. It's mentioned that the incident with the human boy (who is depicted in modern attire) and Ninetales happened roughly 1000 years ago. There are no humans present throughout the Pokémon section of the manga.
- Kid Hero: Ginji is an elementary school-aged boy, and presumably Mudkip is of similar age.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Everyone believes that Ginji was the Pokémon who was cursed by a Ninetales 1000 years ago and is responsible for all the apocalyptic events that are happening.
- Height Angst: Ginji is embarrassed that he's under 4'5 at his age.
- Or Was It a Dream?: The manga ends with Ginji waking up at home. He finds the badge he received as a Torchic, but it also could have been his birthday present which makes it impossible to tell if everything was just a dream or not.
- Sapient Eat Sapient: Gengar spreads a rumor that Ginji is an "ultra evil" Pokémon who eats other Pokémon.
- "X" Marks the Hero: Ginji has a "x" shaped scar on his forehead even as a Torchic.