Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team is a one volume Pokémon manga by Makoto Mizobuchi. It is loosely based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team. In 2007, the manga was released in English by Viz media for their "Viz Kids" line.
It stars a boy named Ginji who goes home to look for his birthday presents the day before his birthday. He ends up falling asleep and finds himself in a universe where Pokémon can talk. Ginji, now a Torchic, ends up befriending a Mudkip. The two start a Rescue Team together and their adventure begins.
This manga contains examples of:
- Anime Hair: Ginji has spikey hair as a human.
- Baleful Polymorph:
- Ginji is a human boy who turns into a Torchic.
- It turns out that Gengar was once a human as well.
- Cowardly Lion: Mudkip is timid and a bit cowardly. He's also prone to Tender Tears.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: It's never explained why he has it, but Ginji has a "x" shaped scar (or birthmark) on his head.
- Kid Hero: Ginji is an elementary school aged boy, and presumably Mudkip is of similar age.
- Or Was It a Dream?: The manga ends with Ginji waking up at home. He finds the badge he received as a Torchic, but it also could have been his birthday present which makes it impossible to tell if everything was just a dream or not.
- X Marks the Hero: Ginji has a "x" shaped scar on his forehead even as a Torchic.