- Beauty and the Beast: Belle achieves this with Gaston due to him not knowing what the word means. "Primeval" meaning "ancient" or "primitive"; Belle was implying Gaston is like a caveman. Although Gaston is such an overly macho boor he would probably take it as a compliment even if he did know what it meant.Belle: Gaston, you're positively primeval.Gaston: Well, thank you Belle.
- Aladdin features a variant on this; Aladdin calls Jafar a "cowardly snake", which Jafar decides to interpret literally and transforms into a giant snake.
- Quest for Camelot has this where the evil knight Ruber reveals to Lady Juliana his plan to invade CamelotJuliana: You're mad!Sir Ruber: I'm so glad you noticed! I've been working at it for years!
Ruber: Say hello to your new king!
- At the climax, as Ruber (with Excalibur fused to his arm) attacks Arthur.
Arthur: You're no king!
Ruber: You're right. Perhaps I'm more of a GOD!!!'
- Kung Fu PandaTai Lung: You can't defeat me! You're just a big, fat panda!
- The Road to El Dorado, amidst much Flynning:Miguel: You fight like my sister!Tulio: I've fought your sister, that's a compliment!
- Peter PanCaptain Hook: Scummin' brat!Peter Pan: Thank you, captain!
- In The Simpsons Movie, after the Simpson family escapes from the dome enclosing Springfield:EPA Official: I'm afraid we lost them, sir.Russ Cargill: Damn it! Well, then you find 'em, and you get 'em back in the dome! And to make sure nobody else gets out, I want roving death squads around the perimeter 24-7! I want 10,000 tough guys, and I want 10,000 soft guys to make the tough guys look tougher! And here's how I want them arranged: tough, tough, soft, tough, soft, soft, tough, tough, soft, soft, tough, soft!EPA Official: (Pause) Sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power...Russ Cargill: Of course I have. You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring. No one listens to you!
- MegamindAudience: Boo! Boo!Megamind: Booooo! Yes, I can play along too!
- RangoBeans: Go to hell!Rattlesnake Jake: Where do you think I come from?
- The Nutcracker PrinceClara: Why, you're cruel and mean.Mouse King: Your flattery won't stop me.
- The Lorax:The Once-Ler: Aw, how nice to see someone undeterred by things like reality.
Ted: Thank you.
- A major one in Monsters University.Johnny: They're always hiring in the mailroom.
- And later, the two protagonists DO end up working in the mailroom and it turns out it was their start to greatness.
- From The Sword in the Stone:Madam Mim: I find delight in the gruesome and grim.Arthur: Oh, that's terrible!Madam Mim: Thank you, my boy.
- In The Hunchback of Notre Dame, when Frollo tells Phoebus he "threw away a promising career" by defying orders to burn down a miller's home, Phoebus replies "Consider it my highest honor, sir."
Insult Backfire / Animated Films