One of the strangest coming of age films you'll ever see. Directed by Jonathan Levine, set in New York in 1994, full of Black Humor and starring Josh Peck as drug dealer Luke Shapiro, who trades weed for therapy with his Hippy Teacher. The usual stoner plot of getting rich quick to stop something bad from happening ensues, because his parents can't pay the mortgage. With his parents' divorce hanging constantly over Luke's head he has somewhat of a disconnected Iron Woobie thing going on. He also masturbates 5 times a day. Also has Mary Kate Olsen in a cameo role.
This film provides examples of
- The '90s: The movie is set in the summer of 1994.
- Big Applesauce: The film takes place in New York in the mid 90s.
- Celebrity Paradox: The scene that introduces Method Man's character features a song by Biggie Smalls and Method Man.
- Hippy Teacher: Dr. Jeffery Squires, who smokes a shit ton of pot.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Luke and Squires. What starts as a trade of Therapy Sessions in exchange for Pot, Luke and Squires start to form a genuine connection between each other and later become best friends.
- Logo Joke: The film opens up with the Sony Pictures Classics logo as normal, before the word 'classics' getting painted over in blue, and gets tagged with the word "classics" in a graffiti style.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Luke can't perform when he first tries to have sex with Stephanie, due to having been drinking recently. After drinking coffee, he can.
- Lousy Lovers Are Losers: When Luke tries to have sex with Stephanie at first he has trouble performing and when he does manage to perform he ends up climaxing almost immediately, which she's incredulous at.
- Love Confession: Luke tells Stephanie he loves her after the pair have sex in the shower, which weirds her out.
- MayDecember Romance: It's well known for having then 21-year-old Mary-Kate Olsen make out with 63-year-old Ben Kingsley.
- Really Gets Around: Stephanie claims she has had sex with over a hundred guys besides Luke. They get sexually involved very quickly (at her instigation) and she also later slept with a friend of his.
- Shower of Love: Luke and Stephanie have sex in an outdoor shower on their trip.
- Speed Sex: The first time Luke has sex with Stephanie, he climaxes almost immediately, which she's incredulous at.
- Their First Time: Luke has sex with Stephanie, and it turns out he's a virgin beforehand.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted... kinda, make that "there are no good therapists".
- You Need to Get Laid: This is pretty much the only advice Luke's therapist gives him.
- Unexpected Virgin: Stephanie is surprised to learn that Luke's a virgin (though he attempts to deny it at first), presumably as he's her age and male (but doesn't hold it against him).