One of the strangest stoner films you'll ever see. Directed by Jonathan Levine, set in New York in 1994, full of Black Humor and starring Josh Peck as a drug dealer who trades weed for therapy with his Hippy Teacher. The usual stoner plot of getting rich quick to stop something bad from happening ensues, because his parents can't pay the mortgage. With his parents' divorce hanging constantly over Luke's head he has somewhat of a disconnected Iron Woobie thing going on. He also masturbates 5 times a day. Also has Mary Kate Olsen in a cameo role.
This film provides examples of
- Adorkable: Luke is definitely this, despite being a drug dealer. Hes full of teenage insecurities coupled with his Mellow Fellow additude, all while trying to be cool and chill with his armed, cocain-snorting associates.
- Author Avatar: Luke for director Jonathan Levine.
- Big Applesauce
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Celebrity Paradox: The scene that introduces Method Man's character features a song by Biggie Smalls and Method Man.
- Hippy Teacher: Dr. Jeffery Squires
- Intergenerational Friendship: Luke and Squires
- MayDecember Romance: Well known for having then 21-year-old Mary-Kate Olsen make out with 63-year-old Ben Kingsley.
- The '90s: The movie is set in the summer of 1994.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted...kinda, make that there are no good therapists
- You Need to Get Laid: This is pretty much the only advice Luke's therapist gives him