Le Manoir (The Mansion in the English release) is a 2017 French Horror Comedy directed by Tony Datis and starring Nathalie Odzierejko, Marc Jarousseau, Ludovik Day, Yvick Letexier, Jerome Niel, Vincent Tirel, Vanessa Guide, Delphine Baril, Baptiste Lorber, and Lila Lacombe. The plot of the film is that ten friends gather at a remote mansion on December 31st, 1999 to celebrate the New Year together before they separate to take their separate paths in life. The characters come to realize that someone is stalking them in the mansion and its grounds, and that they may not have a future in the year 2000...
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- As Himself: William Denzey appears as himself (initially just a taxidermied version, then speaking in a hallucination).
- Bear Trap: The group learns that the lawn has been seeded with these, in various sizes, after Enzo is caught by one.
- BrotherSister Incest: Nadine and Patrice turn out to be brother and sister.
- Closed Circle: The students have no cell service, and their van disappears.
- Comically Missing the Point: When berated over letting Charlotte eat an entire pan of hallucinogenic "mushroom cupcakes", Drazic's defense is that it really won't take long for him to make more for them to eat.
- Expy: Drazic is essentially a more vocal French Silent Bob.
- Faux Action Girl: Jess is presented as studying to be a policewoman, and seems to have little trouble applying submission holds on the boys that they can't get away from. When ambushed by the killer, she blocks the immediate attack, and immediately lands a few blows, but is easily overcome when she stops to gloat.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: After Enzo is mortally wounded, his dying wish is for Sam and Jess to make out with each other. Jess is notably more into it.
- Hope Spot: After a few of their number of been killed, and the van has come missing, Enzo arrives in his truck. However, he rapidly succumbs to a bear trap and his van contains a deadly cobra.
- Horns of Villainy: The killer stalking them wears antlers on their head.
- Human Head on the Wall: Appears in a hallucination and in a few of Fabrice and Nadine's former projects.
- Momma's Boy: Bruno is extremely attached to his mother, calling her when he realizes he finally has bars on the cell phone rather than calling for help.
- Mushroom Samba: Drazic offers Charlotte cupcakes with mushrooms in them. She eats the entire batch and winds up spending much of the film wandering through the woods, including a scene where she communicates with a wild boar that warns her that they need to leave the mansion.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Much to Stéphane's horror and growing rage, it rapidly becomes evident that Sam has slept with most of the men in the cast at some point or another in the past.
- Spoiler Cover: The scene on the cover sort of exists in the film, being a hallucination by Fabrice.
- The Stoner: Drazic arrives loaded with various drugs, and spends most of the film in the midst of some high.
- Toad Licking: Drazic also brought a live "Tibetan Toad" whose skin has hallucinogenic properties.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Bruno gets violently ill during the New Year's celebration while dancing.