The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (German: Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant) is a 1972 film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, starring Margit Carstensen, Irm Hermann, and Hanna Schygulla. It is based on the play of the same name written by Fassbinder.
Petra von Kant (Carstensen) is a successful fashion designer who in the past was abused by her husband. She has a daughter who is educated in the boarding school. Petra also employs Marlene (Hermann), a servant who is completely mute and constantly mistreated by Petra. Petra meets the much younger Karin (Schygulla) and they start a relationship. After some time it turns out that Karen doesn't love her. Petra has a nervous breakdown insulting her mother, sister and daughter whom she maintains. In the end Petra and Karin reach a reconciliation of sorts, but Karin still leaves. Petra behaves kindly to Marlene for the first time and the servant at once starts to pack her bags.
- Anti-Hero: Petra
- Author Avatar: Petra von Kant, who stood for Fassbinder himself both in the play and in the film.
- Butt-Monkey: Marlene
- Character Title
- Chromosome Casting: Only females act in this film. Males are mentioned but never appear onscreen.
- Depraved Bisexual:
- Karen, who is married to a man.
- Petra might qualify too, as she has gone through two marriages to men (first as a widow, then more recently as a divorcee).
- What counts is that both are depraved and with gusto. It is a Fassbinder movie, after all.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Petra is prone to jealosy. In the scene of her suffering she also wears a green dress.
- Mood Whiplash: Actually, Petra has quite a few of them.
- Psycho Lesbian: Petra turns into one when Karin rejects her.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Karin to Petra after Petra spits in her face. Karen then immediately asks Petra for money.
- The Voiceless: Marlene. She rebels in the last scene.
- Younger Than They Look: The age difference between Carstensen and Schygulla is less than 4 years. However here Schygulla plays a young bright thing. Though she was above 30 when she acted in this film.