Stacy Holt (Murphy) is an aspiring journalist from New Jersey. While working on a local daytime talk show hosted by Kippie Kann (Bates), Stacy discovers one of the guests is an ex-girlfriend of her boyfriend Derek (Livingston). Realizing that he has told her very little about his past relationships, and encouraged by show producer Barb (Hunter), she embarks on a journey of discovery.
The film features examples of:
- Batman Gambit: Barb manipulates Stacy into running around and contacting Derek's exes, then The Reveal happens on-air. Deception seems to be a common way for Kippie to get her guests on the show.
- Big Friendly Dog: Bob, a Bull Mastiff
- Disappeared Dad: Stacy's dad leaves when she's young and her mother raises her.
- Glove Snap: Stacy, believing Dr. Rachel Keyes to be a podiatrist, realizes all too late that she is in fact a gynecologist. As she ominously snaps on a pair of gloves, Stacy internally remarks that they “aren’t for the opera”.
- Large Ham: Kathy Bates has a great time chewing the scenery as a daytime talk show host.
- A Minor Kidroduction: The movie starts when Stacy is 7 years old when her dad leaves the family and her love of Carly Simon's music begins.
- Shout-Out: The protagonist and her mom are big Carly Simon fans. Her music is used several times, and Working Girl is discussed. Leads to The Cameo from Simon at the end.
- Stock Scream: Subverted. When new guests arrive on the show, they're met with a doorbell sound effect and sometimes a scream. On Stacy's first day, Barb provides a live scream when they can't seem to find/cue up the sound effect.