A 2004 Chick Flick comedy directed by Nick Hurran and starring Brittany Murphy as an aspiring journalist named Stacy Holt. While working on a local daytime talk show, Stacy discovers one of the guests is the ex of her boyfriend Derek. Realizing that he has told her very little about his past relationships, she embarks on a journey of discovery.
The film features examples of:
- Batman Gambit: Barb manipulates Stacy into running around and contacting Derek's exes, then The Reveal happens on-air. Deception seems to be a common way for Kippie to get her guests on the show.
- Big Friendly Dog: Bob, a Bull Mastiff
- The Cast Showoff: Brittany Murphy gets to show off her singing chops, comedically at first, then more seriously later.
- Disappeared Dad: Stacy's dad leaves when she's young and her mother raises her.
- Large Ham: Kathy Bates has a great time chewing the scenery as a daytime talk show host.
- A Minor Kidroduction: The movie starts when Stacy is 7 years old when her dad leaves the family and her love of Carly Simon's music begins.
- Panty Shot: Stacy turns a cartwheel while she's dancing around her living room.
- Shout-Out: The protagonist and her mom are big Carly Simon fans. Her music is used several times, and Working Girl is discussed. Leads to The Cameo from Simon at the end.
- Stock Scream: Subverted. When new guests arrive on the show, they're met with a doorbell sound effect and sometimes a scream. On Stacy's first day, Barb provides a live scream when they can't seem to find/cue up the sound effect.