A star-studded 1986 comedy directed by Harold Ramis. After nearly losing his life while saving a dog from a fire, Jack Moniker (Robin Williams) decides to quit his job as a fireman and retire to settle down on an island in the Carribean called St. Nicholas. He meets English governor Anthony Cloyden Hayes (Peter O'Toole), who mentions rumors of a violent revolution.
When Jack stops by at Club Paradise with his girlfriend Phillipa (Twiggy), Ernest Reed (Jimmy Cliff), who isn't just a reggae singer at the club, but owns it, too, is in debt for $6,000 and hasn't paid taxes, leaving him 2 weeks to pay or else he'll lose the club and the hotel. Jack helps out by taking photos for advertising, which, however, is false, but it did pay taxes, but Hayes won't take this sitting down as he, along with some other greedy businessmen, want to put more resorts on St. Nicholas.
After the plane's pilot (Joe Flaherty) goes crazy upon landing on St. Nicholas, the passengers vacationing get off the plane. Among the passengers are a married couple named Randy and Linda White (Steven Kampmann and Andrea Martin), who are on the rocks and two guys named Barry Nye and Barry Steinberg (Rick Moranis and Eugene Levy respectively), who plan to win over two ladies by getting enough pot to satisfy the four of them.
As Jack tries to do his best with the resort, hi-jinx ensues, and sooner or later, he and Ernest are in trouble.
The critics weren't kind to this movie, but in Williams' case, he's only 12 years away from even worse movies.
Has the examples of:
- Butt-Monkey: Linda White due to Chew Toy charactistic, and the Barrys because they can't get weed.
- Later in the movie, Barry Nye when he gets separated while windsurfing. It turns out that the storm took him back to St. Nicholas and he eventually reunites with Barry Steinberg.
- Chew Toy: Linda gets jet-sprayed by her shower and nearly eaten by a snake.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hayes. Full stop.
- HeelFace Turn: At first it appears Governor-General Hayes will oppose Jack and Ernest. He decides to side with them later.
- Helium Speech: Literally when Jack accidentally uses a helium tank while he goes to infiltrate one of the ships.
- Naked People Are Funny: Everybody on vacation sans Barry Nye get their clothes stolen at one point.
- Say My Name:Linda: RAAANDYYY!!
- Scenery Porn: You have to admit, even though this movie is a critical disappointment, St. Nicholas is absolutely BREATH-TAKING to look at.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Linda.
- Those Two Guys: The Barrys.
- Welcome to the Caribbean, Mon!: The film includes pretty much every Caribbean trope except the pirates.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The two women the Barrys were trying to impress are not around for the rest of the movie after the latter tried to wow the former with one toke of cannabis.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: St. Nicholas is nowhere on any map as far as anyone knows.