Gwendoline Christie (born October 28, 1978 in Worthing, England) is an English actress and model known for being 6 feet 3 inches tall, making her one of the tallest actresses in the world, and best known as Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones and Captain Phasma in the Star Wars sequel trilogy that started with The Force Awakens. She hails from the South Downs, and started doing gymnastics at school there, but a spinal injury caused her to switch to acting. She was trained by actor-author Simon Callow and graduated from Drama Centre London in 2005.
After finishing her studies, Gwendoline settled down in London, and began acting in stage plays, notably as Lucifer in Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus. Like many English actors, she acts in stage plays, movies, and TV shows. She was also the subject of a series of pictures by photographer Polly Borland.
Her most prominent role now is in HBO's Game of Thrones as the Brawn Hilda-style warrior Brienne of Tarth, which she won in a nearly uncontested audition after showing up in armor. Her portrayal of Brienne gained widespread praise.
- Great Expectations (2005 stage version) as Mrs. Hubble
- Cymbeline as The Queen
- Gilgamesh (2009 stage version) as Ishtar
- Breakfast at Tiffany's (2009 stage version) as Mag Wildwood
- Doctor Faustus (2010 stage version) as Lucifer
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus as Ursula Bond Street
- Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth
- Wizards vs. Aliens as Lexi
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 as Commander Lyme
- Star Wars as Captain Phasma
- Top of the Lake: China Girl as Miranda Hilmarson
- The Darkest Minds as Lady Jane
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (2019 stage version) as Titania
- Chainmail Bikini: Her two most prominent roles avert this; Brienne Of Tarth dresses in plate armour like most other knights in the series and Captain Phasma is clad in silver stormtrooper armour, even keeping her helmet on for the entirety of her screentime.
- Playing Against Type: Phasma is actually a rare female Smug Snake and a Faux Action Girl, and in Top of the Lake she plays a female cop who is neurotic, a bit bumbling, downtrodden by her married boyfriend, and desperately wanting a child, and is finally ambushed and seriously injured by a suspect without managing to fight back.
- Typecasting: Her portrayal of Brienne of Tarth has established her as the go-to actress for brawny, credible Action Girls, be it in the Star Wars or the The Hunger Games franchises.