Nicole Evangeline Lilly (born August 3, 1979) is a Canadian actress best known for her role as Kate Austen in Lost. Since the end of the series, she has been seen in movies such as The Hurt Locker and Real Steel. She appeared in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies as a new character, the elf warrior Tauriel. She was also in the 12th Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Ant-Man as Hank Pym's daughter, Hope van Dyne.
Before acting, Lilly worked as a flight attendant and as a Christian missionary in the Philippines.
- Lost (2004 2010) as Kate Austen
- The Hurt Locker (2009) as Connie James
- Real Steel (2011) as Bailey Tallet
- The Hobbit trilogy as Tauriel:
- Marvel Cinematic Universe as Hope van Dyne / The Wasp II:
- Little Evil (2017) as Samantha Bloom
Tropes associated with her work:
- Actor Allusion: In Ant-Man Hope believes her mother died in a plane crash - as a nod to Lost.
- Actor-Inspired Element:
- Kate in Lost climbs trees a lot because that is one of Evangeline's favorite things to do.
- She lobbied for Michelle Pfeiffer to be cast as Janet in Ant-Man and the Wasp.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Having been in semi-retirement since Lost finished, she travelled all the way to Los Angeles to audition for Real Steel after seeing the script.
- Creator Backlash:
- Fake American: She's Canadian so she plays a lot of Americans.
- Fake Brit: As Tauriel in The Hobbit.
- She Also Did:
- Sweet and Sour Grapes: Has said that she never intended to become an actress, and going on auditions was just her way of challenging herself. Then she got a role on Lost having never acted outside of commercials or extra work.
- What Could Have Been:
- Hope's role in Ant-Man was much smaller in Edgar Wright's drafts. During rewrites it was beefed up considerably, thanks to Adam McKay consulting the actors on their characters and expanding them.
- Tauriel's role in The Hobbit was meant to be a straightforward romance with Kili. Executive Meddling turning it into three films had Legolas being made part of a love triangle - when he and Tauriel were Platonic Life-Partners originally.
- She was nearly recast in Lost because of trouble getting her work visa. It took twenty tries for her application to be accepted.