Halcyon, originally announced under the name of Utopian, is a new superhero comic published by Image Comics, premiering in November of 2010.
The premise seems simple: what would superheroes do without crime? Super-team Halcyon is destined to find out - their world has mysteriously become 'nicer' exponentially over the last nine months. Crime is practically at an end. Armed conflict has diminished to the point on non-existence. The 'would be ruler of the world' and Halcyon's primary enemy just turned himself in on television. What happens to them now? Are they out of a job?
The series is co-written by Marc Guggenheim (Amazing Spider-Man) and Tara Butters (Reaper) with art by Ryan Bodenheim (Red Mass for Mars) and Alisa Tager (Serenity).
- Chest Insignia: A notable lack of them.
- Cool Mask: Both versions of Oculus that have appeared are wearing featureless, head encompassing metal masks with eye holes.
- The Cowl: Deconstructed. Sabre is shown to be boderline psychopathic, which is why he's the one who has the hardest time adjusting to a perfect world.
- Heroic Build: Obviously for the gents — but on Triumph?
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Enos is a "cybernetically enhanced space chimp".
- Flying Brick: Zenith, the World's Greatest Hero.
- Licked by the Dog: Sabre is described as a "homicidal vigilante" (by one of his teammates no less!), but his dog likes him so he can't be all bad.
- Meaningful Name:
- Superhero naming convention aside, "Halcyon" means "peaceful" or "calm".
- The original name of the comic was Utopian, which became the name of a city in the book.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: Not one but two versions of Oculus describe attempting to use a "metabomb" in their reality.Oculus From Reality 2439-Gamma: [It] had the unfortunate and unforeseen effect of increasing the world's population of Super-Powereds by thirteen percent. Halcyon's membership is already up to six-eighty and counting.
- Most Common Super Power: Both of the ladies, natch.
- The Multiverse: All versions of Oculus appear to be able to move through this freely. They even have a safe haven in Reality 4587-Beta.
- Painting the Medium: Null 'speaks' through what appear to be black narration boxes.
- Playing with Fire: Agni, also a case of a Super God.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Zenith and Sabre
- Start of Darkness: The entire story was one for Sabre. It turns out that he's so hell-bent on having someone to fight, he'll even fight a perfect world. Oculus knew this, giving all his resources to Sabre, who has become the new Oculus at the end.
- Super Soldier: Jarhead.
- Super Speed: Transom.
- Sugar Bowl: The whole world seems to be becoming one!
- Wham Line: I can't fly.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Triumph sports magenta hair down to her mid-back.