When a hit goes horribly, horribly wrong, ex-cop-turned-hitman Nick Sax takes a bullet in his side and finds himself wanted by cops and mobsters alike. In this dark hour, he gets an unexpected visit from Happy, a little blue flying horse, who enlists him to help find a little girl who's been kidnapped by a psycho in a Santa suit.
The miniseries has been adapted into a TV series of the same name.
This miniseries contains examples of:
- Dirty Cop: The NYPD in the Happy-verse is full of corrupt cops under the thumb of the mafia.
- Fallen Hero: Nick Sax used to be one of the NYPD's best officers before getting in trouble. Now he's a miserable old addict pulling hits for the mob just to keep himself awash in drugs.
- Genre Refugee: Happy is a brightly-colored, flying imaginary horse in a gritty crime story.
- The Most Wanted: In this miniseries, cop-turned-hitman Nick Sax is being hunted by both the cops and the mafia after a job gone bad.
- Torture Technician: Nick Sax is tortured by Smoothie, the mafia's resident torture expert.