The New Avengers are a team of reserve heroes assembled under the New Avengers fail-safe protocol created by Iron Man if ever something happens to the Avengers. They were tasked by J.A.R.V.I.S. to stop Kang from completing his plans of world domination. At their first battle, they attempted to take Kang separately but were easily defeated and retreated, but at their second try, they succeeded with divide-and-conquer tactic.
- Badass Crew: They eventually learn to be this.
- The Chosen Ones: They were all chosen by JARVIS according to a protocol created by Stark to assemble a new team of Avengers should the original die or disappear.
- Composite Character: They are basically given the origin story of the Young Avengers.
- Five-Token Band: The Avengers consist of seven Caucasian Americans, a Nordic god, an African, and a robot. In contrast, the New Avengers consist of two Caucasian Americans, two African-Americans, a Canadian, and a Jewish-American.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Amazingly, they are this possibly even more than the Avengers; if not for Iron Man's protocol, there is probably no way a team consisting in a superpowered Kid Hero with Deadpan Snarker tendencies, a mutant Anti-Hero from the X-Men, a colonel with an armor borrowed from Stark, two mercenaries and a Fantastic Four member would have even team up.
- Sixth Rangers: It's implied that most of them receive reserve memberships after the job is done. Spider-Man certainly did.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: They have this at first.
War Machine (Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes)
Tony Stark's best friend and military liaison. Rhodey tries to talk sense into Tony regarding his antics as Iron Man, and even offers to help him, but Rhodey would also prefer to use the War Machine armor Tony gave him only as a last resort.
- All There in the Manual: Rhodey's first scenes in the series didn't contain any explicit confirmations about whether or not he had become War Machine. However, one of the comics from the limited series includes a flashback of him as War Machine, helping Iron Man fight Crimson Dynamo.
- Badass Normal: He has no superpowers and relies on his suit.
- Flying Brick: As with Iron Man, the suit grants him strength and flight, and he uses a somewhat more literal interpretation of the trope name to attack Kang.
- Gatling Good: Well, this is the War Machine armor after all.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Rhodey is not interested in superhero work, happier as a colonel.
- More Dakka: His suit has at least 3 more weapons compared to most of Stark's other armors.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Well, he is a Colonel.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He is the blue to Iron Man's red. Ironically enough, this is inverted with the colors of their repulsor energy.
- The Smart Guy: He doesn't really fit any other role in the New Avengers apart from this.
- Team Member in the Adaptation: Among the New Avengers, he is the only one who has never been a member of that team in the comics.
Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett)
A Canadian mutant who served in World War II with Captain America. He is now a member of the X-Men.
Click here for tropes that apply to this character.
The Thing (Benjamin "Ben" Grimm)
A member of the Fantastic Four, and best friend of their leader, Reed Richards. Ben has super strength, and skin made of rock. Joined the New Avengers in the midst of Kang's second invasion.
A tough-skinned Hero For Hire who can't resist a good fight, as long as someone offers to pay him for catching the criminal.
Iron Fist (Daniel "Danny" Rand)
A master martial artist, and friend of Cage's, who faces his duties as a Hero For Hire with a calm demeanor and an enchanted fist.
Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
A freelance photographer for The Daily Bugle, who secretly also becomes a street-level New York superhero with spider-powers. Even though he has fought crime since before the Avengers first teamed up, most of the public has difficulty trusting him, partly due to slandering articles in The Daily Bugle. After Spidey and the other New Avengers thwart Kang's second invasion, Iron Man recruits him as a reserve Avenger.