Jewelpet the Movie: Sweets Dance Princess is a theatrical animated film based off the Jewelpet anime. It premiered in theaters in August 2012 and was screened alongside an Onegai My Melody short film titled You and I.
The Jewelpets go to Sweetsland to celebrate Princess Mana's birthday when they are interrupted by the arrival of a strange ever-hungry Sweetspet with amnesia, sent by Duke Creme de Brulee to ruin the occasion when the princess doesn't want to marry him.
Sweets Dance Princess contains the following tropes:
- Accidental Misnaming: The others can't get Duke Creme de Brulee's name right for most of the film, with the Duke himself suggesting his macaron Sweetspet assistants call him "sire" instead.
- Amnesia Episode: For Gumimin, who has Identity Amnesia and is given the name Paku by Ruby.
- Audience Participation: Ruby asks for the viewers' help to stop Gumimin from sacrificing himself by eating the Candy Tower (which, long story short, would make him fall asleep for a long time) during the climax. At the end of the film, she also encourages the viewers to dance along with her and the others.
- Big Eater: A defining personality trait of Paku/Gumimin. The first thing he does when he lands in Sweetsland's castle is to eat the gummy capsule he was in and then completely wolf down the elaborate cake meant for the birthday party within a matter of seconds. Ruby gives him the name Paku specifically based on his insatiable hunger ("paku paku" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for eating).
- Birthday Episode: For Princess Mana, who turns seven years old.
- A Birthday, Not a Break: Princess Mama's birthday celebration is put on hold when Gumimin arrives and eats her whole birthday cake in one go. Things don't get serious until he transforms into a monster and starts to uncontrollably eat the buildings of Sweetsland, though.
- The Cameo: A few human characters from specific seasons of the TV show get brief non-speaking appearances at the beginning of the film (in order of appearance: Kanon from Sunshine, Akari and Yuuma from Twinkle, and Rinko and her gang from the first season).
- Cool Crown: The Jewelpets all wear magical tiaras given to them by Princess Mana to stop Gumimin from going to eat the Candy Tower.
- Dance Party Ending: The film's end credits roll over everyone doing a dance as part of the birthday celebration.
- Extremely Short Timespan: In contrast to the TV show's seasons which span entire school years, this film takes place in two days.
- Food Porn: It mostly takes place in Sweetsland, a country made entirely of sweets.
- Gelatinous Trampoline: Paku bounces on some gelatin to eat part of the Candy Tower that is falling towards him and the rest of the gang.
- Hey, That's My Line!: Labra and Angela realize they don't have their own personal broomsticks to fly on and shout "Sweets lover Labra!" and "Sweets lover Angela!" to catch the attention of Sango, who dislikes how they used her catchphrase ("Sweets lover Sango-nyan!") and tells them not to steal it. They then ask Sango if they can with her on her broom and she accepts.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The macaron Sweetspets' constant failures to get Gumimin back wind up causing them to fall for their own traps, such as them falling into a pitfall they set up.
- Injury Bookend: It's suggested that since Gumimin lost his memory when he hurt himself when launched toward Sweetsland's castle, hurting him again will cure his amnesia. Not only do the macaron Sweetspets' attempts to harm Gumimin fail, though, but Gumimin transforms into a hulking monster before they can restore his memories.
- The Movie: Of Jewelpet.
- Mythology Gag: The Jewelpets using Flying Broomsticks to get around is a throwback to the TV show's first season, where they did the same thing.
- "No More Holding Back" Speech: Ruby gives one regarding Gumimin suffering from an eating rampage that can only be stopped if he eats the Candy Tower... but Ruby doesn't want to let Gumimin get hurt since that would require him killing himself.
- The Tower: The Candy Tower, an important building to Sweetsland because it gives the Sweetspets their power.