- This short story on Reddit. It starts with the narrator bemoaning "I hate it when my brother Charlie has to go away." He goes on to imply that his brother is locked up in an institution for being a sociopath, and when he does return horrible things start happening and he's swiftly sent back. The final line:
"I hate it when Charlie has to go away. It makes me have to pretend to be good until he is back."
- Ruby Quest:
- "Today is October 31st."
- Weaver: "Yes, it would have killed Tom."
- "Isn't it obvious? You're dead."
- "Ruby shoves Stitches over the railing."
- From Everyman HYBRID, episode "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back":
Vinny: Alex isn't okay.
- At the end of "Intermission"
Steph: I'd be fucking stoked if they weren't releasing me today!
- A comedic example in "Damsel"
- Brawl Universe:
Wolf: I have a message for you.Fox: And what’s that?Wolf: You will feel the pain that i have felt those days ago. I will come for you and all your friends, and KILL you.
- Episode 5:
Mewtwo: You of all people should know. *teleports in front of Ganon and knocks him away* There’s PLENTY wrong with me.
- Episode 6 has a particular disturbing one:
- Marble Hornets has one early on that does a good job at setting the mood: "Burn them."
Phone: Leave. Now.Jay: That was Alex!
- For the first dozen or so videos, Jay was strictly a narrator and viewpoint character. After a while, he started to get a bit more involved, visiting locations and interviewing witnesses to try and piece together the mystery. Then, in 19, things happened. "I have been recording myself for a month now..."
- Entry #17: "But there's something else about it that really disturbs me. I don't remember any of it ever happening."
- Entry #25 hits us with this after we see news footage of an apartment that burned down: "That was my apartment."
- "Season 2", like the first part, opens with Entry 27's Wham Line. "The past 7 months are completely missing from my memory."
- Entry #49: "I told you not to follow me!"
- Entry #64: It's been over a year since Alex has made his presence known, some presumed him dead. When Jay and Tim go explore the tunnel in Rosswood, Jay's phone rings.
- Tribe Twelve: "SO...WE SHALL EMPHASIZE OUR DISAPPOINTMENT BY TAKING YOU AGAIN. FOR REEDUCATION AND CONDITIONING"
Mary: It's already too late for you. The Observer, as you call him, has you in his grasp already. In fact, he's in your home right now, watching you intently. He knows that you'll go to the boardwalk whether you like it or not, because he's seen it happen already. He's told me things, you know.And later:Did you really think that those ashes were Milo's?
- "Mary Asher Phone Call" is just ten minutes of pure WHAM, but two lines stand up:
Noah: I have a confession to make. I...I think I was the one who killed Kat.
Hello Noah. I am Firebrand of the Collective. I've managed to cut him off for now.
"...Firebrand...Me...Thank you."The line that cemented Firebrand's status as a Walking Spoiler. Who could guess that something like a Cluster F-Bomb could be so meaningful?Firebrand: YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME
- "The Live Stream Incident":
A loathsome entity with mutual interests has saved me from servitude.
- "DEUS EX MACHINA":
- Vampire Quest: "When I was a child...I...was kidnapped...by Lilicore as retribution."
- During v4 of Survival of the Fittest, in reaction to the Wham Episode that was Faraday's Cages:
Achyls: "Blow the collar! I said BLOW THE FUCKING COLLAR!"Sparky: "It-it...it won't work, Sir!"
B58 - Johnathan Rizzolo - Deceased
- The final line of V3 is a massive example.
- "An attempt was made by a military organization to rescue some of the contestants in this season of Survival of the Fittest. The lives of many students were lost as a result of the actions of your governments. Any future attempts will be met with an immediate and total detonation of all collars."
- This later turns out to be a rare subversion in the form of a Red Herring; it turns out that all the v4 escapees are alive and well.
- In Perfect Kirby 3, Kirby tells Roy he knows about the Hippin' Jippin' Gene.
Roy: (Dramatic Gun Cock) Then you know too much!
- Welcome to Night Vale
Kevin: Hello? Desert Bluffs?
- From The Sandstorm part A:
Cecil: This is Cecil, and I do not know where I am. It is clearly a radio studio, but the walls are covered in blood, and instead of dials and buttons on the soundboard, there is just animal viscera, glistening under the green LED lights.
- And from part B:
...the witnesses said that some low-flying yellow helicopters began dropping orange leaflets onto the city streets. The leaflets read, "StrexCorp Synernists Inc. Look around you. Strex. Look inside you. Strex. Go to sleep. Strex. Believe in a smiling god. StrexCorp: It is everything."
- Episode 32, Yellow Helicopters, gives us two in the space of about a minute and a half.
''Oh! Oh no. Uh... dear listeners, we must issue an apology! Those helicopters are completely... safe. Even safer than safe! In fact, StrexCorp recently bought our little radio station from the mysterious unseen forces who founded it centuries ago!
- followed by:
Cecil: Old Woman Josie says that the Angels who have been living with her ... helping around the house and ultimately protecting her from all evils ... have disappeared.
- Before all of those:
Cecil: I...I don't remember having a brother.
- They've really been upping the ante recently. Episode 33 gives us:
Welcome... to the Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area.
- Episode 47 opens with a Wham Line that will have many saying "Oh shit":
- Episode 48 gave us a much more positive one:
Cecil: The voice told me it especially didn't trust the other heads it shares a body with...
- From Episode 70B:
- The SCP Foundation has several of these. Often an entry will lead the reader in a certain direction by deliberately not revealing all of the object's qualities; the Wham Line will then drastically change the tone of the piece. Particularly good ones are for SCP-1025, SCP-804, SCP-089, and SCP-093's associated entries.
- Classified object classes. Sometimes, an SCP would explicitly state its object class as being one class, but then you open a collapsible and see its true object class and description. The classified object class is usually Keter or Thaumiel.
- During earlier times, any use of Object Class: Thaumiel, regardless if obscured or unobscured, is very much a wham line, since it indicates that the SCP is beneficial to the Foundation's goals instead of being the usually expected "dangerous anomaly".
- SCP-089: "For each locution event, SCP-089-A is a healthy, unblemished human infant or child between eight months and six years of age, and SCP-089-B is that child's natural mother."
- Andrew Swann's SCP-001 proposal: "And it's a bunch of horror writers."
- SCP-804: They simply wanted to do it.
- SCP-093: there was no war it was him him him him him IT. IT. it came from between the folds of time and space and worlds and light and dark something that is but should not be slipped in and called out to them as their god and they believed it and they tasted it and touched it and layed with it and became its property and did its will and IT IS STILL HERE
- SCP-1000: "They're smarter - to be precise, they are exactly as smart as us."
- SCP-2000, being a bit of a Wham SCP, has several, but three in particular stand out:
"Object Class: Thaumiel" (see above)"Previous attempts to ameliorate violent and sociopathic tendencies in humanity as a whole have already been implemented and deemed successful.""Valid Foundation security credentials for Dr. Alto Clef were discovered nearby, although a genetic match could not be established"
- SCP-2317 has two on its final iteration:
- Object Class: Keter (stricken out) Apollyon
- Special Containment Procedures: Irrelevant.
- Doubling as an Easter Egg, SCP-231-7 has the following hidden line in her description: "Don't believe it when they say they're trying to save her. Why would they bother? They've got exactly what they want exactly where they want it."
- SCP-1025: "Not one out-of-the-ordinary infectious agent was found anyplace this item was tested".
- SCP-2747 asks the viewer to refer to Appendix B several times throughout the article, and at the very bottom...
Appendix B: [DATA LOST]
- Alison, the protagonist of Brains has this to say: "And my foolproof plan to get Damian into bed and eventually into a two-bedroom apartment with a pitbull named Hamish and at least two children is going swimmingly. There's just one problem: I'm mostly sure he's undead."
- In Minecraft Shadow of Israphel, episode 35:
Knight Peculier: I made the most cowardly decision I had ever made. To end my wretched life.
"Does this mean the sand was good?""Knight_Peculier tried to swim in lava."
- And then after that, there's a line that makes you realize not only did he nearly kill himself, but he was this close to offing the heroes, too (who at the time were bewildered and kind of amused by the existence of the RPG scenario they had uncovered and jokingly ''suspicious of the milk''.)
- Episode 38 has two.
- "I'm merchandise?"
- "I'M SCARED!"
- In Freeman's Mind, at the end of episode 28, Gordon finds an elevator that goes up and isn't booby trapped...only to find the way blocked by numerous crates full of powerful explosives... (Subverted, in that the audience already blatantly knew the twist; it's more about Gordon finally coming to the realization)
Gordon: You know, I'm beginning to think this isn't a rescue operation..."
- Retsupurae's The Marios brings us an unscripted (and funny as hell) example:
- DeliciousCinnamon has a few examples:
Bert: AND WE FORGOT TO SAVE!
- During the "Lost Episode" of Crash Bandicoot:
"The CD key provided is currently in use by Bert"
- During a livestream, after Bert has spent over an hour trying to get Warcraft 3 installed:
- Achievement Hunter Let's Play Minecraft:
Ray: Did you do that? Are you serious? Guys, there may or may not be lava engulfing our house right now.
- Episode 1:
Geoff: Gavin wins it for Ray by erecting the tower on Ray's place! The victory goes to Ray!
- "Clouds" (Ep. 37):
Ryan: What's up, Edgar?
- "King Ryan Pt. 2" (Ep. 61):
Ryan: As it turns out... those gold blocks are kinda false-y.
- "Mad King Ryan Pt. 2" (Ep. 90): Just as everyone is celebrating Ray's victory of the fourth gold block, Ryan has an announcement.
- Achievement Hunter Grand Theft Auto Series:
Michael: As expected, Ryan and Ray died horribly, but, uh... Yeah, you guys were supposed to die too, in that boat...
- "Michael's Heist":
Michael: OH SHIT, THIS PLANE'S A ONE-SEATER!!!
- "The Trojan Bar Heist":
- We Are Our Avatars:
-In it...is everything. So many aspects of what just happened in this entire fiasco of a "competition". The Meteor. The device to stop it. The things found in Big Mt. The state of the wasteland itself. The hiring of individuals from other worlds to eliminate political enemies on this one. All cobbled together from sections of a very ancient and much bigger plan by a "Courier Six"...to eliminate anyone who would oppose his rule of New Vegas-
- Doom House:
"You stubborn mule, now you know the secret...I am a terrorist, and this house was built over our terrorist burial camp!"
- Exactly what gives these stories their title
Bunny: Madgie, what did you do?
- In Cracked's Revisiting Old-School Text Adventures as a Jaded Modern Gamer:
- At the end of Prey 14.8 of Worm, Bonesaw, who is impersonating Tattletale, drops an Out-of-Character Alert line that Skitter doesn't recognize because of the prosopagnosia fog.
Weaver: You know how the world ends.Doctor Mother: Of course. We already saved it once.
- Later, in Scarab 25.5, Doctor Mother, leader and founder of Cauldron drops another one in response to Weaver calling her out on her crimes:
- Board James: Near the climax of the Dream Phone review.
James: I"M IN THE CLOSET! HOW CAN YOU SEE ME?!The Dream Phone: Well, you sure got a hold on me!
Motherfucker Mike: "You don't have any friends."Bad Luck Bootsy: "You don't need to pretend. It's okay not to have any friends..."
- A big one from Full House / Do the Urkel.
James: What were they thinking?!
- Another one in "Video Game Board Games" when James seems to have reached a breaking point with the episode's central board games and utters a certain phrase.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd: At the climax of the Desert Bus episode, where the Nerd has just made a sudden realization that after ten years, his work on warning people about shitty games is failing. He tops it all with four jarring words.
Nerd: It's time to retire.
- Played for Laughs in one episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: after making a whole bunch of adoption jokes to Kaiba, Yami tricks him into admitting he'd been beaten several times.
Yami: That's right, Kaiba. After all these years, it turns out I'm your daddy!
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged has several, both comedic and dramatic.
Vegeta: Look at you, Dodoria. You used to be so proud, but here you are, crying like a woman.
- For example:
Zarbon: Well, I have to call my girlfriend.
- And this:
Off-screen voice: Get your ass in gear! Something is tearing its way through the compound!
- Episode 56, while repairing Android 16, Bulma finds this isolated video log made by a Red Ribbon soldier who looks a lot like 16. The soldier is talking to his dad whose making cyborgs, when suddenly we hear this...
Kid Goku, off-screen: KA...ME...HA...ME... (Flash of light, log ends)
Chi-Chi: I want a divorce.
- Cell in episode 53 had fun the entire episode just toying with Trunks.
Cell: Does Gohan know, by the way?Trunks: Does he know what?Cell: That you let him die.
- The end of the Broly movie massively changed the nature of Goku's marriage.
- Twitch Plays Pokémon Crystal had one dropped by the Streamer after the first loss to Red.
Twitchplayspokemon: if we don't beat red by the end of the stream, no emerald.
- Ten Little Roosters Episode 6. The sound of glass breaking.
Ryan: Fuck you, hole. Unlike a cow, I have opposable thumbs.
- The Music Video Show and it's 49th episode. At one point, Fluttershy is taken by a demented figure speaking backwards.
Laine: You put her dow...Dylan: Don't bother. Not real.Laine: But he has Flutters...Dylan: Who is not real.
- And then there is the last few seconds of Episode 50.
- Paranoia has one near the end of the movie.
Carl: You're the killer, Mark.
- The Blue Light creepypasta's last two sentences: "It was faint, but we could still see the word 'sucks', underneath 'Nagasaki Elementary School'. Outside the windows, a blue light explodes across the sky."
- Each episode of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared has one that starts to make it clear that the Teacher is not what they seem.
- "Woah there, friend, you might need to slow down!"
- "MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH! MEH!
- "No, no, no, that's not how it's done!"
- "DON'T TOUCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
- "You shouldn't eat food from a stranger's plate, a stranger's plate, a stranger's plate, a stranger's plate..."
- Part 5 also has Duck Guy's panicked "I don't want to do this any more!"
- The final line of the series:
- And earlier in the final episode:"Time is a tool you can put on the wall, or wear it on your wrist."
- The final episode of JonTron's StarCade series has Jon learn that Darth Vader is actually an "old friend", and then he removes his helmet as he lay (apparently) dying...
- This Vinesauce stream focuses on Vinny exploring Active Worlds, a now-abandoned MMO from the mid-90's. During the stream he encountered a character named Hitomi Fujiko. Vinny initially took Hitomi to be an NPC, given that he was the only other being present, was repeating the phrase "Are you lost?" over and over when Vinny found him, and had the power to open the village gate. However, as the stream went on, Hitomi began to display more and more realistic traits, narrating a story about being the only person left in these lands and how Vinny was apparently responsible for everyone leaving. The final line he tells Vinny before disappearing not only destroys any possibility of the entity being an NPC, but also raises a lot of questions about who he really was:
Hitomi Fujiko: Goodbye.Vinesauce: Goodbye.Hitomi Fujiko: Vinny.
- From Vinny's Tomodachi Life LP, we get several lines which could qualify:
Donkey Kong: You're so sweet I don't need to add sugar to my coffee! Will you be my sweetheart?Two Faced: Sure!Vinny: WHOA! What?!
- From Episode 37, we have the line which permanently redefined three major character arcs:
Vinny: Who the fuck is Vineschnoz?
- From the Tomodachi Collection Corruptions special:
Vinny: I have...I have a strong desire to kill.
- From Episode 49, we have the line that cements that Vinny is completely under the Jahns' control:
Vinny: I was inspired by some guy with a blank face...two big eyes, and a big line for a mouth. He said we should vote two off today.
- A subtle one: at the beginning of Episode 53, we get The Reveal that the Survivor Edition may have been orchestrated by the Jahns:
- In a meta sense, the opening lines of Episode 55, cluing unaware viewers into the fact that this is the last episode of the main series:
- From Team Four Star Plays: Pokémon Soul Silver Nuzlocke, it comes time for them to bury the then-deceased Slowmara (a Slowbro they caught in a well and liked to joke was similar to Samara from The Ring). Just as she's about to be released however, we get this creepy little message that not even the team was expecting:
Wham Line / Web Original
Please don't hide spoilers in this page. Wham Line is a spoileriffic trope by nature, so it's pointless to spoiler tag every example.