Web Video / Brains
Alison Sumner is a normal neuropsych college student who is starting up a vlog series, documenting her life after the Zombie Apocalypse
has ended. Society has put itself back together enough for schools and other such institutions to return, and she's trying to get back into the swing of things.
Her main concerns are her project for neuropsychology, and dating. And since she's had to endure five years of a zombie apocalypse sans romantic opportunities, her hormones are kicking back into high gear. Hilarity
This show provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Human: There is evidence that Damian is a zombie like Carl.
- Alone with the Psycho: Alison in the season finale.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Alison sees 'Al' as this, since it's what the survivors used when fighting off the hordes of zombies, making for faster response times. Her crush calls her 'Al' out of habit.
- Cliffhanger: The season 1 finale has Alison grab her camera as she flees from Professor Sherman.
- Character Blog: Alison has a tumblr now! Carl has one too.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Alison engages in this when she discovers the identity of the murderer in the last few minutes of the season finale.
- For Science!: Professor Sherman tries to use this to justify her treatment of Carl and his role as a guinea pig to study the point of no return to Alison.
- Frame-Up: Alison is convinced that Carl has been falsely accused. Turns out she's right.
- Genre Shift: It starts out as a Slice of Life romance in the recovery phase after a Zombie Apocalypse, but faces a mid-season shift to a Murder Mystery.
- I Want Grandkids: Billy Jack used to get "frantic phone calls from [his] mom about giving her grandkids". Now she lives in a cabin in Connecticut with his stepfather and has forgotten about grandkids. He still gets calls from her though.
- Mood Whiplash: Episode 4 looks like a Breather Episode until the last minute or so, where a zombie shambles into the area the students are sprucing up. This is after a series of interviews with the students, seeing how they view their future in the post-zombie apocalypse world.
- Episode 5 is mostly Alison trying to teach Damian how to play the piano while being constantly interrupted by: shamblers, the students fighting them off, and another woman trying to snipe Damian out from under Alison. Also, Carl keeps trying to get a hold of Alison... because he's being accused of having murdered another student and eating her brain.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Professor Sherman is a rather level-headed professor, although her experimentation on Carl undercuts that image.
- Our Zombies Are Different: They can sometimes appear living.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: From the creator's tumblr we have a few fun ship names: Domison, Calison, Gralison, and Shermal.
- Professor Guinea Pig: Turns out Damian, a secret zombie is using themselves as a test subject to try to find a cure for the zombie plague.
- Relationship Upgrade: At the start of season 2, Damian and Alison sleep together.
- Skewed Priorities: A clip is shown of a female blogger who warns her male viewers not to act like heroes and get themselves killed by zombies...so that she won't lose subscribers.
- We Used to Be Friends: Greta and Alison.
- That Came Out Wrong: "Hi! I'm Alison, and altogether too many women survived the apocalypse. No, no, nonono!"
- Wham Line: "And my foolproof plan to get Damian into bed and eventually into a two-bedroom apartment with a pitbull named Hamish and at least two children is going swimmingly. There's just one problem: I'm mostly sure he's undead."
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Zombies are obviously seen as monsters. It becomes more of a gray area with Carl, seeing as he is a zombie but is outwardly living. Some people react to him with fear, Professor Sherman sees him as a test subject, albeit a friendly one, and Alison sees him as her friend. Once Carl is accused of murder however, things go downhill quickly for him.
- At the end of Episode 4, a shambler wanders into the area the students are in. They form a defensive group, with Carl and Damian arguing over whether the zombie has reached the "point of no return". Carl is the one to reluctantly put it down.
- Zombie Apocalypse: The series is set after one has been mostly contained, with people returning to college and a semblance of normal life. Shamblers still appear on occasion, with patrols still necessary. Arts are largely seen as frivolous, something that Alison strongly objects to.