Web Video: Glove and Boots
Glove and Boots
is a Video Blog
focusing on two puppets, Mario and Fafa the Groundhog
. They often discuss things that are going on, in both their lives and in the world, from the Zombie Apocalypse
to Time Travel
The show was created by Damien Eckhardt-Jacobi (Mario) and Vincent Bova (Fafa), two street performers who used puppets to entertain people on the New York City subway. Met with variable success, they began posting videos in 2004 with a style that was reminiscent of a pastiche of early edutainment shows like Sesame Street
and The Electric Company
, complete with some music videos. The show was on hiatus until 2010, at which time the format received some changes in technology and switched to a slightly older demographic, with more references to pop culture and the like.
In 2012, Glove and Boots
won a Twitter Shorty Award for Best Videoblogger.
channel can be found here
. Their posts are often on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and occasionally make it onto Reddit. They also have separate Twitter accounts for Mario
and for Fafa
This work provides examples of:
- Continuity Nod: In "Fun Health Care Alternatives," when Mario explains what one could do when king, there is a picture from the SPAM blog where the SPA Ms were going to burn him at the stake.
- Corpsing: Oftentimes the puppeteers won't hold their laughter during blogs, and they won't try to hide it in the final product.
- Curse Cut Short: "Jigsaw Puzzle"
Mario: Why you rotten, no good, son of a-!
- A Dog Named Dog: Gorilla. No points for guessing his species.
- Delayed Reaction: Fafa notices Johnny T. is in his Nazi outfit a little bit after he comes in.
- Edutainment Show: Early videos tended to be similar to Sesame Street in that there would be a lesson about certain words like Mario's "Word of the Day" (cyanoacrylate). Now they've moved on to explaining pop culture.
- Epic Fail: When playing Rock Band, Mario, Fafa, and Gorilla manage to lose both after the song was already over and before they even started playing!
- Mario was so taken in by Hanzi's commercial in "Amazing Product Commercial" that he bought seven boxes of Amazing Product when he and Fafa were supposed to be selling it in the first place. What drives this into Epic Fail territory is the fact that we never find out what Product is.
- Exact Words: "Worst Game Show Ever!":
Hanzi: Do you agree with Zombie Max Headroom?
Mario: What? No, I do not agree! Answer is Denver Broncos!
Hanzi: No, sorry, is correct! Zombie Headroom does love brains!
- Furry Confusion: Mario is very hairy, but what he's supposed to be is anyone's guess.
- The Ghost: Apparently Fafa has a sister, but she's never seen and mentioned only once.
- A God Am I: Stan Lee claims to be this in "Movies, Thor, and Stan Lee."
Stan: I remember when I created Earth, space, time, and matter!
- Grammar Nazi: Briefly played with in "Fix Your Grammar" when Johnny T. comes into the blog in his Nazi outfit note . Although also played straight, as Johnny T. really doesn't like people using incorrect words and grammar.
- Happy Dance: The Apocalypse didn't happen! Dance Gorilla!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: If "Time Machine" is to be believed, Mario and Fafa have been pals since the days of the dinosaurs.
- Hilarious Outtakes: Five of their videos.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Gorilla in Fafa's Photoshop Tutorial, after catching him red-handed messing with computer Gorilla.
- Hypocritical Humor: See I Resemble That Remark below.
- Also Invoked in "Fix Your Grammar."
Fafa: Our vernacular ain't so great neither, so we're not tryin' to be preachy or anything.
- I Resemble That Remark: Mario's take on about 80% of EVERY OPINION. He doesn't change. Ever. note
- Large Ham: Thor, of course!
- This is the main reason why Hanzi is so popular.
- Let's Play: A few episodes are this, with Mario and Fafa playing some classic NES games on their Wii, as well as a little bit of Left 4 Dead and Rock Band.
- Life or Limb Decision: In "Jigsaw Puzzle," in order to get out of the handcuffs, Mario cuts Fafa's arm off with a hacksaw.
Fafa: Did you have to cut it off at the shoulder? I don't even got no nub!
Mario: A difficult decision had to be made!
- Made of Iron: Subverted in "Amazing Product Commercial" when Hanzi drives over the Amazing Product to demonstrate how tough it is.
Hanzi: It broke. [beat
] Don't do that!
- Malaproper: Evidently, "heighth" is used pretty commonly on the internet, as shown in "Fix Your Grammar."
- Manly Tears: "Nine Movies that Make Men Cry."
- Merging Machine: [spoiler:Gorillario, Fafa T.]
- Milestone Celebration: To celebrate 100,000 subscribers, they made a thank you video showing (almost) all 100,000 of them.
- Mirror Match:
- Montages: The video blog makes liberal use of various kinds of montages, be it a sad or happy.
- New Media Are Evil: In "Ten Reasons Why We Hate Facebook"; but in this case, rather than the media itself, it's mostly the people that use said media.
- "Candy Crush Saga is Evil" is a straighter example, with Fafa outright saying it wants your brains.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Santa lets himself be tied up and makes Mario and Fafa think that he's gone crazy in their Christmas Episode just so he can have some fun, because Christmas Eve is boring.
- Oh, Crap: Mario's reaction to a number of potential disasters, ranging from Temporal destruction to Doomsday.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Often happens due to Corpsing, as mentioned above. Mario is the most likely candidate, and his accent has slipped multiple times in the Let's Play episodes, specifically the classic NES games on their Wii.
- Puppet Show: Of course... right?
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Mario, a loud guy very prone to being overly emotional, is the red oni to the calmer and more rational (most of the time) Fafa's blue.
- Relax-o-Vision: Used liberally during "Jigsaw Puzzle"
- Ridiculous Future Inflation: In the future, a McRib costs sixty-four thousand dollars.
- Running Gag: Mario getting bored with the blog and going off to make a sandwich.
- It's not much of a running gag, only having happened twice; three times if you count the Brick Joke in the Reddit AMA answers.
- Shout-Out: There are tons of references to various bits of pop culture from over the years, ranging from Top Gun to Shaun of the Dead.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With DJTayJames, the official DJ of Justin Bieber, during their competition for Twitter's 2012 Shorty awards.
- Snake Oil Salesman: In his introductory video, Mario found Hanzi on Craig's List specifically to sell their crappy product by making his hammy commercial. It doesn't go as planned. See Epic Fail.
- Sound Effect Bleep: Sassy, but not cheaply vulgar. Mario gets these often, as does Johnny T. in "The Hero's Journey".
Johnny T: "This guy's a real piece of sh[BLEEP]t."
- Space Whale Aesop: Don't fall for Clickbait and share them with everybody, because you'll be eaten by "a horrible monster named Luis!"
- Stupid Crooks: Pirates robbed Mario and Fafa, buried the money somewhere in New York City, and then promptly forgot where they buried it.
- Talking Animal: Fafa and Gorilla, although the latter speaks in "mehs."
- Take That: Hipsters get a whole video dedicated to how annoying they are.
- "Hanzi's Video Review" is a parody of the review videos of YouTuber Ray William Johnson.
- Mario and Fafa make their distaste for Pepsi quite clear in "Your Ad Here".
- In their parody of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Pharrell, Mario keeps singing non-sequitur lines that he made up about random things, such as the letter A. When Fafa tells him that he's ruining the song, Mario answers that everyone's been sick of the original song for 18 months, so he's not really ruining anything. note
- Teleporters and Transporters: Mario brings a teleporter onto the blog.
- This Is no Time to Panic: Fafa warns Mario about the dangers of panicking during a zombie apocalypse:
Mario: Zombies! Zombies everywhere!
Fafa: Mario, don't panic. That's when the zombies get you, when you start panicking.
- Time Travel Tropes: Played with in 10 Reasons Why Time Travel is No Good
- Time Machine: In the Time Travel blog, as expected.
- Top Ten List: Some of their blogs, like "Ten reasons we hate Facebook", "Nine Movies that Make Men Cry", and "Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists".
- Trailers Always Spoil: Parodied in "Please Stop Giving Everything Away, Hollywood!" They literally tell you the whole story of The Empire Strikes Back.
- The Unintelligible: Gorilla, who speaks exclusively in "Meh"s
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: Mario and Fafa's idea for condensing the Olympic Games to prevent it from getting too overwhelming.
- Vlog Series: Of course, being a videos series posted on YouTube
- Wham Line
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Mario sounds kind of Eastern European, but it's never addressed.
- Hanzi has some French or Italian accent going on, but that isn't addressed either.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: Subverted; the blog is set in Brooklyn, NYC.
- Which Me?: Fafa uses a Time Machine to hang out with himself, to which Mario fears for the worst and so he uses the Time Machine to get his own Time Clones and destroys the Time Machine!
- Who Are You Calling Names?: From "This VIDEO will BLOW YOUR MIND and be the BEST PART OF YOUR DAY!" Mario takes offense to being called boy.
Mario: Who are you calling "boy?!"
- With Friends Like These...: Mario's Facebook "friend" Mike; the embodiment of all things awful about Facebook.
- You Can Panic Now: A World without Twinkies and the Mayan Apocalypse!