by 1KidsEntertainment, is a pretty funny ongoing (so far 21 episodes and two holiday specials) series on
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Misa's motivation
- Ambition Is Evil: When performing "tests" on his computer Light complains that he was sorted into Slytherin.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: subverted
Could I have been Kira before? I mean I do think that criminals deserve to die and killing them off would create a more perfect world where I could be a God... but that doesn't necessarily mean that I could be Kira... No definitely not...
- Amusing Injuries
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: when planning to have Higuchi kill Matsuda.
Soichiro: At last, JUSTICE!
Light: We have to make Higuchi want to kill Matsuda.
L: That shouldn't be hard.
- Are We There Yet?: "Is Misa saved yet? How about now?"
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: "Bikes? In a show about death? What the hell?!"
Light: You're thinking I could become L and Kira at the same time... that I could eat unlimited candy and play with my bare feet while I kill people! It's IDEAL!!!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "Alright, we know that Kira can kill people, he thinks he's a god and he may have a potato chip fetish."
- L's revenge fantasy in the Christmas Special which includes the violent deaths of Light, Souichiro, and Matsuda... and making Aizawa get a haircut.
- "A white tie? This is a crime against humanity!"
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: "Why are the buildings on the left moving further away?"
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Parodied when L is deciding his next move against a cup of coffee.
- Bad Boss: L to Watari- "Don't do anything without my permission again, and that includes breathing."
- Bad Liar: Light (Hilarity Ensues)
- Bad News, Irrelevant News
- Basement-Dweller: Matsuda
L: I'm taking out the part where it says "you're free to kill L."
Light: Really? I think it adds a sense of realism to it.
L: It's definitely being taken out.
Light: ...Damn it.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Light and L.
- Berserk Button: "what did I say ABOUT EMO JOKES!"
- Better as Friends:
Light: It's not that I don't want to be more than just friends with L but I don't want to ruin our friendship, ya'know?
Namikawa: Yeah, I know, I've been there.
- Black Comedy: "Sorry guys, I was practicing falling out of my chair sideways. It seems like a useful skill. I may need it later on."
- Blah Blah Blah
- Bloody Hilarious:
Matsuda: Criminals are dying again! Hurray!
Souichiro: Awesome! Was there blood? Tell me there was blood!
- Butt Monkey: EVERYONE! But Matsuda and Light get special mention.
There's been a lot of identity theft on World of Warcraft
lately. Let's go Souichiro Yagami and Souichiro Yagami.
Souichiro: Hold it right there!
- Brain Bleach
- Brick Joke: Jaye Penber
- British Accent: The Yotsuba members all have "snooty accents." Except for Higuchi.
- Bystander Syndrome: "And in this footage you can see various pedestrians that clearly don't give a $#!t that somebody near them just collapsed and died."
- Cavalry Betrayal: "Sorry Light, you're on your own."
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Captain Obvious: "If I kill you then you will die."
- The secret message on the notes left by Kira's victims? "Shinigami kill people."
- Catch Phrase: Sayu has "Fishy!" as her only line.
- Censor Box
- Character Exaggeration: EVERYONE, again.
- Christmas Special:
Misa: ...and I want a pony, and I want a text message from Higuchi...
Light: Misa, for the last time, I'm NOT Santa Claus!
- Citizenship Marriage: Raye and Naomi "Don't tell me how to do my job or I'll ship you right back to the U.S. in a box."
- Cluster F-Bomb: Seen in Episode 17:
Soichiro (To Matsuda): "God d*mn, son of a b*tch, motherf*cking c*cksucker!"
Matsuda: "What's wrong?"
Soichiro: "Oh, nothing's wrong, I just wanted to make it clear that I was talking to you."
- Comically Missing the Point:
Light: "Mister Raye Penber, don't turn around. I am Kira."
: "Oh, [his forehead injury]
this? It's nothing, I'm just trying to be like Harry Potter
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Cosmopolitan Council
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*
- Crazy Enough to Work:
L: We need to find out how Higuchi kills.
Light: Maybe we should ask him?
L: That’s crazy.
- Crimefighting with Cash
- Cut-and-Paste Translation: skipped the first episode.
- Deadpan Snarker: L
- Devil in Plain Sight:
Nurse: You really have to leave now.
L: Look, I'm L I can do whatever I want.
Light: Yeah, and I'm Kira so I can kill you if you don't comply.
- Also the Google search results on "Who is Kira?"
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: "You want to do what to me?"
- Director's Cut: the first few episodes were done before Jerry was cast as Light, thus the redubbed versions.
- Dirty Old Man: Watari, once again the joke about tying Misa up.
Misa: Where am I supposed to sit?
Higuchi: ON MY LAP!
) ... The passenger seat works fine... I guess.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
Aizawa: If you guys make one more joke about my 'fro I will not hesitate to murder yourselves and your families.
Souichiro: Mogi's family DIES tomorrow! (for taking the strawberry)
- Hatori is killed for wanting the conference room lights turned down.
- The Ditz:
Misa: Huh, for some reason I feel like I know even less than before.
L: Amane, we both know that that's just not possible.
- Domestic Abuse: "Honey somedays you make me so mad I want to ram a truck through a building."
- Dramatic Pause
L: Could you kill someone for me?
Light: Do you... have the money? ...Show me the money
L: Show me the weapon... Okay there isn't any money, I was just trying to trick you.
Light: Good thing I didn't fall for that.
- Dual Wielding:
Light: I'll solve equations with my right hand and write names with my left!
L: Your son is ambidextrous, I take it?
- Dumb Blonde: Misa.
- DVD Commentary: 1kids and several of the other voice actors have commented on the first six episodes so far.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: according to Misa, Higuchi has "I Am Kira" tattooed to his butt.
- Enemy Eats Your Lunch:
Light:: Is that MY coffee?
L: Not anymore, it’s not. It evaporated.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Played with: "I can't stand how his guy is hurting Kira's image... black and white is so fifties!"
- Everybody Knew Already: 1) that Light is Kira. 2) that Light is lusting after L.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Oh shit! What's my real name?
- Everyone Is Gay
- Everything Is Racist
L: Light, I want you to play the part of Kira.
Light: Why? Because I'm Japanese? Racist!
- Evil Brit:
Takahashi: If I may say so, these snooty accents make us sound quite menacing.
Kida: Yes yes, quite good, quite good.
- Evil Matriarch:
Misa: MATSU! Your mother's on the phone!
Matsuda: AHHHHHHH * Runs away screaming*
- Evil Tower of Ominousness
- Exact Eavesdropping
- Face Palm:
Higuchi: If I were Kira, I'd be facepalming myself so hard right now... Ow!
Light: Misa, we need your help to rescue Matsuda. Would you mind dressing up all slutty for us?
Misa: What does slutty mean?
Light: Misa, we need your help to rescue Matsuda. Would you mind wearing your normal outfits?
- Foe Yay: L's internal monologue on getting close to Kira. "Ideally I would get close to Kira. For all I know he might be a really swell guy. We can go for walks in the park, play competitive sports, and maybe some other stuff... Woah, where did that come from? That could be nice. Oh yeah... I know what move I'm going to make!"
- Freudian Slip:
Soichiro: "No! L is the only one that gets to spy on me- uh, me... family. Arggh"
- For Inconvenience, Press "1"
- Forgot to Feed the Monster
- Front Organization: "...there has been a general downturn in the market with the exceptions of Yotsuba and Walmart."
- Fun with Subtitles: ladder ladder ladder
- Funny Afro
- The Gambling Addict:
Ooi: Any objections to making the Giants lose by killing them mid-game?
The Yotsuba Eight: No objections.
Soichirou: Woops, there goes your college tuition, Light.
- Gay Moment
Higuchi: So Misa, what are your goals in life?
Misa: I want to marry Kira!
What a coincidence, so do I! (Beat)
...the second one.
- G-Rated Drug:
- Gender Flip: several one-shot jokes.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: "Take a look at my eyes! They're round now! Kira's Japanese! You said so yourself!"
- Griefer: Light playing World of Warcraft
- Halloween Special
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky
- Helium Speech: Aizawa
- Hero Harasses Helpers
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Takada is voiced by Blade, who also plays Rue on Princess Tutu Abridged.
- Hilarious Outtakes: Occasionally played during the credits.
- Horrible Judge of Character:
L: Why don't we just ask the Second Kira? They seem nice enough.
- Hurricane of Excuses
- Hypocritical Humor:
Aizawa: What you think we're gonna play games on our phones instead of listening to a boring meeting?
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship
- I Have This Friend: ...who is Kira.
- I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday: (It only happened an hour ago!)
- Inspector Lestrade:
Wedy: Hey L, I was searching Higuchi's place like you asked me to and I found this weird black notebook in his safe...
L: We're already aware of Higuchi's desire to be an artist; don't bother us again.
- It's All About Me:
Light: I can't take it anymore!
- Ironic Echo Cut:
Namikawa: "Anyway... don't worry, we bribed the police into not trying to catch Kira. There's no way that's going to tip them off that Kira is involved with our business."
(fade into next scene)
Light: "So Kira is involved with their business..."
- And again in that episode:
Soichiro: "Like it or not, you cannot both pursue Kira and be a member of the police anymore."
Matsuda: "What makes you say that?"
F.B.I. Director: "Like it or not, you cannot both pursue Kira and be a member of the police anymore."
- It's Not You, It's Me: "That's right, [Ryuk] we're breaking up."
- It Came from the Fridge: L offers Light his spoiling cake.
- It Tastes Like Feet
- Jerk Ass: L
L: (to Aizawa) No one's making you stay. Whatever phrasing you want to use... run, scoot, skedaddle... just go.
Watari: Sir, might I make a suggestion... How about "Piss off!"
L: Ooh yeah. I really like that one. Piss off!
- Karaoke Box: L singing "Never Gonna Give You Up" through the voice synthesizer
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Light acts this way towards Misa.
But they're businessmen!
They might... I don't know... give her a papercut or something!
- Lampshade Hanging
- Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club
- Look Behind You: Lookout! A BEAR!
- Lunacy: Full moon?
- Man of a Thousand Voices
- Mattress Tag Gag
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: "You'll be hearing from Kira... uh my lawyer, her name is Kira."
Higuchi: "It's like I said last time: Kira can kill people with a magical notebook, but he can't do the impossible."
Midou: "Wait, magical notebook?"
- Motor Mouth: Now I just have to endure a week of Ryuk without being able to respond to him...
- Murder Is the Best Solution
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: The Yotsuba guys are having a party... and Higuchi isn't invited.
- Mysterious Past: "Wait, you actually have a past?"
- National Stereotypes
- Negative Continuity: Characters' awareness of Shinigami for the sake of gags.
- No Fourth Wall
- No Medication for Me
- Not Listening to Me, Are You?
Kida: I really need someone to talk to. My cat died and my wife left me and took the kids and she gave me AIDS...
Aiber: That's cool. Oh by the way, did you know Misa might be the Second Kira?
Light: Misa, Higuchi is dangerous! I forbid you from seeing again-
Misa: Okay, I'm off to see Higuchi, bye!
Light: ...I hate women.
- Not What It Looks Like
- Oh Crap: "Matsuda just pushed the "oh shit" button on his belt."
- On Second Thought
- Out of Character
- Ping Pong Naďveté
- Poor Communication Kills:
Light: Now no matter what, you can't kill him unless I give the order. [++ No matter what!++ ] You understand me?
- The Power of Acting:
Aiber: "Yes. Yes I did."
Security AI: "Sorry sir, but I can't let you through. "
Aiber: "Uh... but I'm Kira!"
- Punch a Wall
- Real Men Wear Pink: "Hey guys, how was dance class?"
- Red Shirt: Ukita "Just go... No one cares."
- Relax-o-Vision: Subverted: We interrupt this episode of Fluffy Cuddly Bunny Pals to bring you another Kira video.
- Rick Roll
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag: Fluffy Cuddly Bunny Pals. Also "there's that UFO again!"
- Sarcasm Mode
- Schmuck Bait: My name, once again is Lind L. Taylor. L-I-N-D L. T-A... This is not a trap.
- The police gave us permission to play this video labled "Second Kira trap..."
- Selective Obliviousness: "Raye Penber entered the train station followed by someone who looks EXACTLY like the chief's son..."
L: I don't know how you'll take this Light, but your girlfriend is the Second Kira.
Light: Why didn't she tell me?!
- Self-Deprecation: "We shouldn't be just sitting around eating cake or making abridged series! None of those things are productive!"
- Shaped Like Itself: "Light's smug face is smug."
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: "this is my uh... cousin Matsui."
- Shoo Out the Clowns
- Shout Out: Jeopardy, Pokémon, World of Warcraft, Forrest Gump, Harry Potter, and Matsuda tries to go Super Saiyan.
- Single Issue Psychosis: "...and that's how I developed my fear of baked products."
- The Slacker: the entire investigation team plays excessive amounts of World of Warcraft.
Light: Ryuuzaki, are criminals still dying?
L: Huh? Why should I be checking that? I caught you already.
- Slow Loading Internet Image
- Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter:
L: If there is a God, he totally hates me.
Light: Damn straight I do.
- Sound Effect Bleep
- Spy Speak: Epic Fail:
Light: Now I just have to subtly fit the phrase "get rid of it" into conversation the next time L talks to me.
L: Oh hey Light I forgot you were in there...
- Stalker with a Crush
- Straw Feminist: Misa.
Misa: Women can have penises just as good as men can!
Rem: But then you would be male.
Girl: Where are the f*king urinals?!
- Stupid Sexy Flanders:
Random Cop: Survey participants found that Watari is sexy painted in black.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: This is not a trap.
Matsuda: Keep walking... don't be suspicious... I'm not trespassing...
Higuchi: Look, Hatori, I'm not saying that I'm Kira or anything, but you're f***ed.
- Synchronization: the magical handcuffs.
- Take That: to various Fridge Logic problems of "the eye deal."
- "That's the first REAL deduction you?ve done this entire series!"
- On Misa:
L: Watari, is she talking?
L:... I see what you mean. Watari, please shut her up!
- On the way the plot itself is written:
L: Well, if you haven't noticed this pattern by now, every time the plot goes stale, the writer just adds in another character.
- Talking to Himself: 1kids voices Ryuk, L, several minor characters, and Light for the first five episodes, and Salguy voices Soichiro, Aizawa, and Ukita
- That Came Out Wrong
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
- Time for Plan B
- Too Much Information: "LIGHT! Stop confessing!"
L: Oh and Chief, don't touch the box labeled "toys."
- Took a Level in Dumbass: everyone as part of the Rule of Funny
- "What kind of a genius are you?"
- Transparent Closet: Light:
- TV Genius: L's psychic deduction when rescuing Matsuda.
- Lampshaded when planning to capture Higuchi:
Light: We just have to be able to predict everyone else's thoughts.
L: That hasn't stopped us before.
- The Un-Smile: Creepy grin!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Light and Ryuk
- Voice of the Legion
- The Voiceless: Ukita, Mogi.
- With Cat Like Tread:
Mogi: MISA-MISA, THIS IS AN INFILTRATION MISSION, SO BE CAREFUL!
Ooi: What's he talking about?
Mogi: DON'T BLOW OUR COVER! (Am I forgetting anything?) OH YEAH, L WANTED ME TO TELL YOU THE BUG IS IN YOUR PURSE! BE SURE TO OPEN IT OR WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!
Soichirou: Yes... yes... right...
Chief, there’s no need to bring politics