by 1KidsEntertainment, is a pretty funny ongoing (so far 21 episodes and two holiday specials) series on
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Misa's motivation.
- Ambition Is Evil: When performing "tests" on his computer Light complains that he was sorted into Slytherin.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: subverted
Could I have been Kira before? I mean I do think that criminals deserve to die and killing them off would create a more perfect world where I could be a God... but that doesn't necessarily mean that I could be Kira... No definitely not...
- Amusing Injuries
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: when planning to have Higuchi kill Matsuda.
Soichiro: At last, JUSTICE!
Light: We have to make Higuchi want to kill Matsuda.
L: That shouldn't be hard.
- Are We There Yet?: "Is Misa saved yet? How about now?"
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: "Bikes? In a show about death? What the hell?!"
Light: You're thinking I could become L and Kira at the same time... that I could eat unlimited candy and play with my bare feet while I kill people! It's IDEAL!!!
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "Alright, we know that Kira can kill people, he thinks he's a god and he may have a potato chip fetish."
- L's revenge fantasy in the Christmas Special which includes the violent deaths of Light, Souichiro, and Matsuda... and making Aizawa get a haircut.
- "A white tie? This is a crime against humanity!"
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: "Why are the buildings on the left moving further away?"
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Parodied when L is deciding his next move against a cup of coffee.
- Bad Boss: L to Watari- "Don't do anything without my permission again, and that includes breathing."
- Bad Liar: Light (Hilarity Ensues)
- Bad News, Irrelevant News
- Basement-Dweller: Matsuda
L: I'm taking out the part where it says "you're free to kill L."
Light: Really? I think it adds a sense of realism to it.
L: It's definitely being taken out.
Light: ...Damn it.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Light and L.
- Berserk Button: "what did I say ABOUT EMO JOKES!"
- Better as Friends:
Light: It's not that I don't want to be more than just friends with L but I don't want to ruin our friendship, ya'know?
Namikawa: Yeah, I know, I've been there.
- Black Comedy: "Sorry guys, I was practicing falling out of my chair sideways. It seems like a useful skill. I may need it later on."
- Blah Blah Blah
- Bloody Hilarious:
Matsuda: Criminals are dying again! Hurray!
Souichiro: Awesome! Was there blood? Tell me there was blood!
- Butt Monkey: EVERYONE! But Matsuda and Light get special mention.
There's been a lot of identity theft on World of Warcraft
lately. Let's go Souichiro Yagami and Souichiro Yagami.
Souichiro: Hold it right there!
- Brain Bleach
- Brick Joke: Jaye Penber
- British Accent: The Yotsuba members all have "snooty accents." Except for Higuchi.
- Bystander Syndrome: "And in this footage you can see various pedestrians that clearly don't give a $#!t that somebody near them just collapsed and died."
- Cavalry Betrayal: "Sorry Light, you're on your own."
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Captain Obvious: "If I kill you then you will die."
- The secret message on the notes left by Kira's victims? "Shinigami kill people."
- Catch Phrase: Sayu has "Fishy!" as her only line.
- Censor Box
- Character Exaggeration: EVERYONE, again.
- Christmas Special:
Misa: ...and I want a pony, and I want a text message from Higuchi...
Light: Misa, for the last time, I'm NOT Santa Claus!
- Citizenship Marriage: Raye and Naomi "Don't tell me how to do my job or I'll ship you right back to the U.S. in a box."
- Cluster F-Bomb: Seen in Episode 17:
Soichiro (To Matsuda): "God d*mn, son of a b*tch, motherf*cking c*cksucker!"
Matsuda: "What's wrong?"
Soichiro: "Oh, nothing's wrong, I just wanted to make it clear that I was talking to you."
- Comically Missing the Point:
Light: "Mister Raye Penber, don't turn around. I am Kira."
: "Oh, [his forehead injury]
this? It's nothing, I'm just trying to be like Harry Potter
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Cosmopolitan Council
- *Cough* Snark *Cough*
- Crazy Enough to Work:
L: We need to find out how Higuchi kills.
Light: Maybe we should ask him?
L: That’s crazy.
- Crimefighting with Cash
- Cut-and-Paste Translation: skipped the first episode.
- Deadpan Snarker: L
- Devil in Plain Sight:
Nurse: You really have to leave now.
L: Look, I'm L I can do whatever I want.
Light: Yeah, and I'm Kira so I can kill you if you don't comply.
- Also the Google search results on "Who is Kira?"
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: "You want to do what to me?"
- Director's Cut: the first few episodes were done before Jerry was cast as Light, thus the redubbed versions.
- Dirty Old Man: Watari, once again the joke about tying Misa up.
Misa: Where am I supposed to sit?
Higuchi: ON MY LAP!
) ... The passenger seat works fine... I guess.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
Aizawa: If you guys make one more joke about my 'fro I will not hesitate to murder yourselves and your families.
Souichiro: Mogi's family DIES tomorrow! (for taking the strawberry)
- Hatori is killed for wanting the conference room lights turned down.
- The Ditz:
Misa: Huh, for some reason I feel like I know even less than before.
L: Amane, we both know that that's just not possible.
- Domestic Abuse: "Honey somedays you make me so mad I want to ram a truck through a building."
- Dramatic Pause
L: Could you kill someone for me?
Light: Do you... have the money? ...Show me the money
L: Show me the weapon... Okay there isn't any money, I was just trying to trick you.
Light: Good thing I didn't fall for that.
- Dual Wielding:
Light: I'll solve equations with my right hand and write names with my left!
L: Your son is ambidextrous, I take it?
- Dumb Blonde: Misa.
- DVD Commentary: 1kids and several of the other voice actors have commented on the first six episodes so far.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: according to Misa, Higuchi has "I Am Kira" tattooed to his butt.
- Enemy Eats Your Lunch:
Light:: Is that MY coffee?
L: Not anymore, it’s not. It evaporated.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Played with: "I can't stand how his guy is hurting Kira's image... black and white is so fifties!"
- Everybody Knew Already: 1) that Light is Kira. 2) that Light is lusting after L.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Oh shit! What's my real name?
- Everyone Is Gay
- Everything Is Racist
L: Light, I want you to play the part of Kira.
Light: Why? Because I'm Japanese? Racist!
- Evil Brit:
Takahashi: If I may say so, these snooty accents make us sound quite menacing.
Kida: Yes yes, quite good, quite good.
- Evil Matriarch:
Misa: MATSU! Your mother's on the phone!
Matsuda: AHHHHHHH * Runs away screaming*
- Evil Tower of Ominousness
- Exact Eavesdropping
- Face Palm:
Higuchi: If I were Kira, I'd be facepalming myself so hard right now... Ow!
Light: Misa, we need your help to rescue Matsuda. Would you mind dressing up all slutty for us?
Misa: What does slutty mean?
Light: Misa, we need your help to rescue Matsuda. Would you mind wearing your normal outfits?
- Freudian Slip:
Soichiro: "No! L is the only one that gets to spy on me- uh, me... family. Arggh"
- For Inconvenience, Press "1"
- Forgot to Feed the Monster
- Front Organization: "...there has been a general downturn in the market with the exceptions of Yotsuba and Walmart."
- Fun with Subtitles: ladder ladder ladder
- Funny Afro
- The Gambling Addict:
Ooi: Any objections to making the Giants lose by killing them mid-game?
The Yotsuba Eight: No objections.
Soichirou: Woops, there goes your college tuition, Light.
- Gay Moment
Higuchi: So Misa, what are your goals in life?
Misa: I want to marry Kira!
What a coincidence, so do I! (Beat)
...the second one.
- G-Rated Drug:
- Gender Flip: several one-shot jokes.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: "Take a look at my eyes! They're round now! Kira's Japanese! You said so yourself!"
- Griefer: Light playing World of Warcraft.
- Halloween Special
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky
- Helium Speech: Aizawa.
- Hero Harasses Helpers
- Hilarious Outtakes: Occasionally played during the credits.
- Horrible Judge of Character:
L: Why don't we just ask the Second Kira? They seem nice enough.
- Hurricane of Excuses
- Hypocritical Humor:
Aizawa: What you think we're gonna play games on our phones instead of listening to a boring meeting?
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship
- I Have This Friend: ...who is Kira.
- I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday: (It only happened an hour ago!)
- Inspector Lestrade:
Wedy: Hey L, I was searching Higuchi's place like you asked me to and I found this weird black notebook in his safe...
L: We're already aware of Higuchi's desire to be an artist; don't bother us again.
- It's All About Me:
Light: I can't take it anymore!
- Ironic Echo Cut:
Namikawa: "Anyway... don't worry, we bribed the police into not trying to catch Kira. There's no way that's going to tip them off that Kira is involved with our business."
(fade into next scene)
Light: "So Kira is involved with their business..."
- And again in that episode:
Soichiro: "Like it or not, you cannot both pursue Kira and be a member of the police anymore."
Matsuda: "What makes you say that?"
F.B.I. Director: "Like it or not, you cannot both pursue Kira and be a member of the police anymore."
- It's Not You, It's Me: "That's right, [Ryuk] we're breaking up."
- It Came from the Fridge: L offers Light his spoiling cake.
- It Tastes Like Feet
- Jerk Ass: L
L: (to Aizawa) No one's making you stay. Whatever phrasing you want to use... run, scoot, skedaddle... just go.
Watari: Sir, might I make a suggestion... How about "Piss off!"
L: Ooh yeah. I really like that one. Piss off!
- Karaoke Box: L singing "Never Gonna Give You Up" through the voice synthesizer
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Light acts this way towards Misa.
But they're businessmen!
They might... I don't know... give her a papercut or something!
- Lampshade Hanging
- Legitimate Businessmen's Social Club
- Look Behind You: Lookout! A BEAR!
- Lunacy: Full moon?
- Man of a Thousand Voices
- Mattress Tag Gag
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: "You'll be hearing from Kira... uh my lawyer, her name is Kira."
Higuchi: "It's like I said last time: Kira can kill people with a magical notebook, but he can't do the impossible."
Midou: "Wait, magical notebook?"
- Motor Mouth: Now I just have to endure a week of Ryuk without being able to respond to him...
- Murder Is the Best Solution
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: The Yotsuba guys are having a party... and Higuchi isn't invited.
- Mysterious Past: "Wait, you actually have a past?"
- National Stereotypes
- Negative Continuity: Characters' awareness of Shinigami for the sake of gags.
- No Fourth Wall
- No Medication for Me
- Not Listening to Me, Are You?
Kida: I really need someone to talk to. My cat died and my wife left me and took the kids and she gave me AIDS...
Aiber: That's cool. Oh by the way, did you know Misa might be the Second Kira?
Light: Misa, Higuchi is dangerous! I forbid you from seeing again-
Misa: Okay, I'm off to see Higuchi, bye!
Light: ...I hate women.
- Not What It Looks Like
- Oh Crap: "Matsuda just pushed the "oh shit" button on his belt."
- On Second Thought
- Out of Character
- Ping Pong Naďveté
- Poor Communication Kills:
Light: Now no matter what, you can't kill him unless I give the order. [++ No matter what!++ ] You understand me?
- The Power of Acting:
Aiber: "Yes. Yes I did."
Security AI: "Sorry sir, but I can't let you through. "
Aiber: "Uh... but I'm Kira!"
- Punch a Wall
- Real Men Wear Pink: "Hey guys, how was dance class?"
- Red Shirt: Ukita "Just go... No one cares."
- Relax-o-Vision: Subverted: We interrupt this episode of Fluffy Cuddly Bunny Pals to bring you another Kira video.
- Rick Roll
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag: Fluffy Cuddly Bunny Pals. Also "there's that UFO again!"
- Sarcasm Mode
- Schmuck Bait: My name, once again is Lind L. Taylor. L-I-N-D L. T-A... This is not a trap.
- The police gave us permission to play this video labled "Second Kira trap..."
- Selective Obliviousness: "Raye Penber entered the train station followed by someone who looks EXACTLY like the chief's son..."
L: I don't know how you'll take this Light, but your girlfriend is the Second Kira.
Light: Why didn't she tell me?!
- Self-Deprecation: "We shouldn't be just sitting around eating cake or making abridged series! None of those things are productive!"
- Shaped Like Itself: "Light's smug face is smug."
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: "this is my uh... cousin Matsui."
- Shoo Out the Clowns
- Shout-Out: Jeopardy!, Pokémon, World of Warcraft, Forrest Gump, Harry Potter, and Matsuda tries to go Super Saiyan.
- Single Issue Psychosis: "...and that's how I developed my fear of baked products."
- The Slacker: the entire investigation team plays excessive amounts of World of Warcraft.
Light: Ryuuzaki, are criminals still dying?
L: Huh? Why should I be checking that? I caught you already.
- Slow Loading Internet Image
- Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter:
L: If there is a God, he totally hates me.
Light: Damn straight I do.
- Sound Effect Bleep
- Spy Speak: Epic Fail:
Light: Now I just have to subtly fit the phrase "get rid of it" into conversation the next time L talks to me.
L: Oh hey Light I forgot you were in there...
- Stalker with a Crush
- Straw Feminist: Misa.
Misa: Women can have penises just as good as men can!
Rem: But then you would be male.
Girl: Where are the f*king urinals?!
- Stupid Sexy Flanders:
Random Cop: Survey participants found that Watari is sexy painted in black.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: This is not a trap.
Matsuda: Keep walking... don't be suspicious... I'm not trespassing...
Higuchi: Look, Hatori, I'm not saying that I'm Kira or anything, but you're f***ed.
- Synchronization: the magical handcuffs.
- Take That: to various Fridge Logic problems of "the eye deal."
- "That's the first REAL deduction you?ve done this entire series!"
- On Misa:
L: Watari, is she talking?
L:... I see what you mean. Watari, please shut her up!
- On the way the plot itself is written:
L: Well, if you haven't noticed this pattern by now, every time the plot goes stale, the writer just adds in another character.
- That Came Out Wrong
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!
- Time for Plan B
- Too Much Information: "LIGHT! Stop confessing!"
L: Oh and Chief, don't touch the box labeled "toys."
- Took a Level in Dumbass: everyone as part of the Rule of Funny
- "What kind of a genius are you?"
- Transparent Closet: Light:
- TV Genius: L's psychic deduction when rescuing Matsuda.
- Lampshaded when planning to capture Higuchi:
Light: We just have to be able to predict everyone else's thoughts.
L: That hasn't stopped us before.
- The Un-Smile: Creepy grin!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Light and Ryuk
- Voice of the Legion
- The Voiceless: Ukita, Mogi.
- With Cat Like Tread:
Mogi: MISA-MISA, THIS IS AN INFILTRATION MISSION, SO BE CAREFUL!
Ooi: What's he talking about?
Mogi: DON'T BLOW OUR COVER! (Am I forgetting anything?) OH YEAH, L WANTED ME TO TELL YOU THE BUG IS IN YOUR PURSE! BE SURE TO OPEN IT OR WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!
Soichirou: Yes... yes... right...
Chief, there’s no need to bring politics