Recap: The Simpsons S 8 E 8 Hurricane Neddy
Episode - 4F07
First Aired - 12/29/1996
A hurricane blows through Springfield, and Flanders' house is the only one that takes damage, leaving the Flanderses homeless and reeling. Things get worse when everyone comes together to rebuild Ned's house (rather poorly) and Ned goes on the mother of all tirades, calling everyone out for their personality flaws, then commits himself to a mental hospital.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- Adults Are Useless: Ned's beatnik parents.
Dr. Foster: Would you please tell your son to stop?
Ned's Father: We can't do it, man! That's discipline! That's like tellin' Gene Krupa not to go (starts banging on the desk) "boom boom bam bam bam, boom boom bam bam bam, boom boom boom bam ba ba ba ba, da boo boo tss!". We don't believe in rules, like, we gave them up when we started livin' like freaky beatniks!
Dr. Foster: You don't believe in rules, yet you want to control Ned's anger?
- Angrish: Ned's Verbal Tics are revealed as the result of repressed anger. It gets increasingly nonsensical as he starts his breakdown.
Now calm down, Ned-dily-diddly-diddly-diddly... they did their best, shoddily-iddly-iddly-diddly... gotta be nice, hostily-iddly-diddly-iddly... Ah, HELL diddly-ding-dong-crap! Can't you morons do anything right?
- Comically Missing the Point: After ripping on everyone else, Ned turns to Homer and quietly tells him "you are the worst human being I have ever met." Homer's response: "Hey, I got off pretty easy."
- At the Springfield church, Ned chats with Reverend Lovejoy.
Ned: Rev. Lovejoy, with all that's happened to us today, I kinda feel like Job.
Lovejoy: Well, aren't you being a tad melodramatic, uh, Ned? Also, I believe Job was right-handed.
- Crisis of Faith
- Dissonant Serenity: After his Reason You Suck Speech, Ned gets into his car, listening to "Aloha Oe", and he drives straight through the gates of Calmwood Mental Hospital.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Ned bullying the kids as a child:
I'm Dick Tracy
! Take that, Prune Face! Now, I'm Prune Face! Take that, Dick Tracy! Now, I'm Prune Tracy! Take that, Dick-
- Rod wears a Butthole Surfers T-shirt, the "Butthole" partially obscured by the way it drapes over him.
- Funny Background Event: If you look closely in the panning shot of the mental hospital rooms, one of the mental patients is a caricature of Simpsons writer John Swartzwelder (and in a later scene, someone has a protest sign that reads, "Free John Swartzwelder!") and another is Lucille Botz (The Babysitter Bandit from season one's "Some Enchanted Evening," sating viewers' claims that Lucille is a Karma Houdini, as she is now caught and either copped an insanity plea or was revealed off-screen to be criminally insane).
- Gone Horribly Right: The University of Minnesota Spankalogical Protocol stopped young Ned's hyperactivity and aggression, but it made him incapable of expressing any anger, instead going into Verbal Tics, such as "diddly".
- Guilt By Association Gag: Ned's rant includes Lenny, whom he doesn't even know, and who just arrived and had no idea what was going on.
- I Hate Past Me: Ned is shocked when he remembers what a troublesome brat he was.
- I Resemble That Remark:
Ned: You ugly, hate-filled man!
- Kick the Dog: Springfielders inexplicably loot Ned's Leftorium store after the hurricane, even Kent helps a looter.
Kent: Try looking in the back.
- Rage Against the Heavens: Upon getting a paper cut from opening a Bible, Ned has this to say:
Ned: Why me, Lord? Where have I gone wrong? I've always been good. I don't drink or dance or swear. I've even kept kosher just to be on the safe side. I've done everything the Bible says! Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff! What more can I do? I...I..I feel like I wanna yell out, but I just can't dang-darn-diddly-darn-dang-ding-dong-diddly-darned do it! I just...I... (sigh)
- Rant Inducing Slight: Ned's shoddily-rebuilt home easily collapsing was frustrating enough, but what really ticks him off was one of his glasses lenses falling and shattering.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Ned gives an absolutely harsh one to the people of Springfield.
Can't you morons do anything
(the crowd gasps
Ned, we meant well! And everyone here tried their best! Ned:
Well my family and I can't live in good intentions
, Marge! Ohhh, your family's out of control, but we can't blame you, because you have goooooood intentions
Hey, back off, man! Ned:
Ohhh, okay duuuude, I wouldn't want you to have a cow maaaaan! Here's a catch phrase you better learn for your adult years; Hey buddy, GOT A QUARTER!?
(the crowd gasps again
) Bart: I am shocked and appalled. Lisa:
Mr. Flanders, with all due respect, Bart didn't do anything. Ned: (gasp)
Do I hear the sound of butting in? It's gotta be little Lisa Simpson, Springfield's answer to a question NO ONE ASKED! Chief Wiggum:
Ha! Ha-ha! Ned:
Whadda we have here, the long flabby arm of the law? The last case you got to the bottom of was a case of Mallomars! Krusty the Clown:
Mallomars, oho, that's going in the act. Ned:
Oh yeah, the Clown, the only one of you buffoons who doesn't make me laugh! And as for you
, I don't know you but I'm sure you're a jerk! Lenny:
Hey, I've only been here a few minutes. What's going on? Ned:
You ugly, hate-filled man! Moe: Hey hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled
, but I -- uh -- what was the third thing you said? Ned:
Homer... you are the worst human being I have ever
met. Homer: Hey, I got off pretty easy.
- Take That: Considering how much Matt Groening hated "A Star is Burns", it shouldn't be surprising that Jay Sherman is shown as one of the patients at Calmwood Memorial Hospital, saying everything stinks.
- "I've done everything The Bible says, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"
- Teach Him Anger: Dr. Foster decides to snap Ned out of his breakdown by having Homer anger him intentionally.
- To Make a Long Story Short: Reverend Lovejoy's answer to whether God is testing Ned.
Lovejoy: Short answer: yes, with an if. Long answer: no... with a but.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Ned Flanders!
- Wafer Thin Mint: Ned's rebuilt house was shoddy all around, but what brings it down is Homer patting it.