"HEY BART DO YOU WANNA SEE MY NEW CHAINSAW AND HOCKEY MASK?!"
"Everyone thinks Jason uses one of these, but he never does."
A common reference of a Slasher Movie
serial killer: a big guy wielding a chainsaw and wearing a hockey mask. Enormously common in parodies and tributes of the genre.
This is largely a Composite Character
between two of the most famous Slasher Movie
killers: Jason Voorhees of the Friday the 13th
series and Leatherface of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
While it might seem like a case of pure carelessness
, even the people who know a lot about horror films use this trope, so that's not the case. It's just as likely just a Captain Ersatz
of the two, since neither of them are in the public domain
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Irresponsible Captain Tylor has a marine named Jason who wears a hockey mask and uses a chainsaw as his Weapon of Choice. He also tends to be blamed whenever something breaks and there's a Running Gag regarding him always being sick on Fridays.
- During the first part of the manga and Season 0 from Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kaiba forces Joey (Jonouchi) to fight to the death with a serial killer known as "Chopman". The guys is a mountain of muscles with a leather-mask and prone to use sharp and big weapons, particularly, chainsaws. Images: .
- America from Axis Powers Hetalia has this as his costume◊ in the Halloween sketches 2010.
- A Sunday strip from Bloom County once showed Bill the Cat in an old horror movie, in which he is pursued by a maniac wielding a chainsaw and wearing a hockey mask.
- In an episode of Charmed, Phoebe was tormented by a recurring nightmare about a chainsaw-wielding murderer wearing a hockey mask. She thought it was a manifestation of Cole. It turned out that it stood for a metaphor of her self-harming behavior.
- A Sergio Aragones strip in MAD has a bunch of hockey-playing kids inviting a man with a hockey mask and a duffel bag to play with them. He reaches into his duffel bag and pulls out a chainsaw.
- At one of his concerts Eminem appeared while wearing denim salopettes and a hockey mask, and wielding a chainsaw.
- When Edgar uses the chainsaw weapon in Final Fantasy VI, he has a random chance of doing an instant kill attack, which also changes the attached sprite to him wearing a hockey mask.
- Vincent Valentine's Hell Masker Limit in Final Fantasy VII turns him into hockeymask wearing maniac with a chainsaw.
- House of the Dead has the Strength boss.
- In Persona 2, an optional boss in Eternal Punishment is a Stalker with a Crush who wears a hockey mask and chainsaw.
- One of the enemies in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin sports this ensemble.
- In Splatterhouse, Rick wears a hockey mask and can sometimes use a chainsaw. In sequels, the mask was redesigned to look more like a skull, but the similarities to Jason's signature mask were still pretty apparent.
- The Chainsaw Maniacs from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
- Subtly done in Dead Island. There's a non-zombie enemy who is clearly supposed to be Jason, with a hockey mask and machete, beefed up health and one hit kills. In his house, you can find a unique Chainsaw, among some other horror references.
- The second boss in Double Dragon II for the Game Boy (a different game from the arcade and NES versions subtitled The Revenge).
- One mission in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City has Tommy and some others pulling a bank heist disguised in hockey masks and coveralls, after which the outfit is permanently unlocked for the player. One of the melee weapons available in the game is a chainsaw. The possibilities are endless...
- Also used in Libery City Stories, where Tony has a similar outfit. There's also one mission where he's ambushed and attacked by dozens of masked maniacs with chainsaws.
- Cemetery stages in Gex feature burly enemies of this type, who for added benefit also wear a red and green striped t-shirts.
- Kid Chameleon has Maniaxe, an Expy of Jason Voorhees, who can throw hatchets at enemies.
- The chainsaw-wielding Dr. Salvador in Resident Evil 4 wears a burlap sack mask similar to Jason's first appearance in Friday the 13th Part 2.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures has none other than Jason himself (in his notorious cyan and purple incarnation) running back and forth with a chainsaw.
- One of the titular Dumb Ways to Die in the Public Service Announcement of the same name is to "invite a psycho killer inside." The video depicts a door opening to a sprite wearing a hockey mask and armed with a chainsaw and Freddy Kruger glove.
- Macabre horror-Mons idea turned RPG Mortasheen is definitely referencing this trope with its chainsaw-hockey-masked mascot creature, the Chainsaw Kid. Yes, that is the proper syntax; its chainsaw is its mask.