Film: Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
On Friday the 13th, Jason is back. But this time, someone's waiting.The seventh Friday the 13th film.This time around Jason Voorhees is pitted against Tina Shepard, a girl with psychic powers. She has come to Crystal Lake on her doctor's orders to work around the guilt she has about accidentally killing her father few years ago. One of her emotional psychic outbursts revitalizes Jason's body in the lake, and his killing spree continues once again.This film marks the debut of fan-favourite Kane Hodder as Jason.
This film has examples of:
- Alan Smithee: The second of the film's two credited writers, Manuel Fidello is an alias for an unidentified WGA scab who violated the then-ongoing writers' strike to work on the film after original writer Daryl Haney got fired. Since admitting working on the film would be grounds for instant expulsion from the WGA even to this day, chances are their identity will remain forever unknown.
- Alpha Bitch: The Rich Bitch Melissa.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Tina's doctor encourages her to explore her psychic powers... but visions of the future? Ridiculous! She's just delusional!
- Asshole Victim: Dr. Crews and Melissa, who are also ironically the last two characters to die in this film.
- Auto Erotica:
- Due to the amount of guests in his uncle's cabin, Russell has to "sleep" in his van with his girlfriend Sandra.
- Later, Ben and Kate borrow the van to have some fun of their own.
- An Axe to Grind: Jason kills Melissa with an axe.
- Bare Your Midriff: Sandra's outfit before she goes skinny-dipping.
- Barrier-Busting Blow: Provided the page picture.
- Big "NO!": Russell lets out one, and dies before he gets to finish it.
- Black Dude Dies First: Subverted. He has a handful of random kills beforehand, but when he starts working his way through the people in the house, the African-American couple, Ben & Kate, are the first to go.
- Blade on a Stick: Jason uses one to kill Tina's mom.
- Bloodless Carnage: Oddly enough for this franchise, the theatrical cut is almost completely bloodless, with most of the violence occurring offscreen. The uncut version, on the other hand...
- Brief Accent Imitation: When Dan goes to chop some wood for his and Judy's campfire, he says "I'll be back" in his best Arnold Schwarzenegger accent.
- Cassandra Truth: Tina tries tell about Jason's presence, but Dr. Crews chalks it up to hallucinations.
- Cat Scare: Some random cat hiding in a closet gives a scare to Robin..
- Chainsaw Good: Jason kills Dr. Crews with a tree-trimmer.
- Country Matters: Eddie refers to Melissa with this.
- Covered with Scars: Buechler arranged for all of the damage and wounds that Jason had suffered from the previous films to show on Jason in this installment to tie them together. In addition to the motorboat damage from the previous film, Jason also retains the machete and axe cuts from parts two and three respectively, as well as the missing left eye from the wound that killed him in part four.
- Creator Cameo: Director John Carl Buechler appears in the film's end as the fireman who picks up the halves of Jason's burned mask.
- Destination Defenestration: Jason kills Robin by throwing her through a window.
- Dirty Coward: Dr. Crews pushes Mrs. Shepard on Jason's way to save himself. This still doesn't help him very much.
- Dramatic Thunder: Done when Tina and Nick find Michael's corpse.
- Also used in a brilliant Freeze-Frame Bonus gag, as David walks through the dark kitchen with the flashlight and the thunder flashes briefly, look in the top left corner of the room, Jason's standing behind him all this time, waiting.
- Dramatic Unmask: When Jason attempts to break Nick's spine, Tina uses her powers to apply pressure on his head, which in turn destroys his mask.
- Electrified Bathtub: Tina uses her powers to force Jason into a puddle and then breaks one of the power cables to fry him.
- Exact Eavesdropping: Melissa eavesdrops on the conversation between Nick and Tina by the lake.
- Eye Awaken: After Tina drops Jason in the basement, the camera closes on his face and he opens his eye.
- Eye Scream: Jason kills Kate by stabbing her into the eye with a party horn.
- Fainting: Tina faints when she sees the resurrected Jason.
- Final Girl: Tina.
- Finger Wag: Dr. Crews does this to Tina when he is convincing her that he cares about her well-being.
- The Glasses Come Off: Maddy takes off her glasses when she prepares to make an impression on David.
- Good People Have Good Sex: The nice couples have a good time with each other, while Melissa has to resort to an unfulfilling tryst with Eddie, hoping to make Nick jealous.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: It's Michael's birthday during the first night.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Tina screamed at her father that she wished he was dead in the past. Unfortunately, this is exactly what caused her psychic powers to kill him.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Jason kills Jane by pinning her to a tree with a tent spike through her throat.
- Instant Thunder: Appears when Dr. Crews finds Michael's body.
- It Was Here, I Swear: Tina about the tent spike that Jason stuck on the porch.
- Kill It with Fire: When Tina confronts Jason in the cabin basement, she uses her powers to dose him with gasoline and set him on fire. This somehow causes the whole house blow up too.
- Leitmotif: Tina has a neat one for when she uses her powers.
- Lightning Reveal: Done when Jason is stalking David.
- Lost Forever: All original negatives, including the cut gore footage, were destroyed by Paramount sometime in 1992.
- Neck Snap: Jason punches through Dan's torso, and then snaps his neck.
- Nice Guy: Nick.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Tina's first attempt to revive her father is what instead causes Jason to be freed from the rock Tommy chained him to.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Tina barely has any control over her powers and they always react horribly whenever she becomes stressed. When Jason kills her mother, she gets so pissed that she instead gets near-perfect mastery over them.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: While stoned, the aspiring scifi-writer Eddie comes up with brilliant idea:Eddie: I know; Star Mummy!
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: Tina manages to temporarily revive her father to drag Jason back down to the lake.
- Off with His Head!:
- Jason decapitates David offscreen.
- Jason also attempts to do so with Eddie, but only gets halfway.
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Russell's corpse gives Maddy a scare.
- Previously On: The film starts off on a quick recap of Jason Lives.
- Psychoactive Powers: Tina's powers depend on her emotions. Knowing this, Dr. Crews tries to inflict emotional stress on her to study her, instead of helping her to get over her mental trauma.
- Sinister Scythe: Jason kills Maddy with a sickle.
- Skinny Dipping: Sandra goes skinny dipping, and invites Russell to come along. He dies before he gets his clothes off, and Sandra soon follows.
- Staggered Zoom: Used when Tina finally comes face to face with Jason.
- Strictly Formula: This was the last entry in the original continuity to largely follow the standard Friday the 13th formula, with all the following entries changing the setting and/or Jason's nature. In fact, the storyline is essentially a re-run of The Final Chapter, only with Jason now as a zombie, and Tommy and his family swapped out for Tina.
- The Stoner: Eddie and David.
- Super Window Jump: Jason performs one when he is going after Tina.
- Token Minority Couple: Ben and Kate.
- Visual Pun:
- Jason leaves David's severed head on a potted plant, making a headplant.
- Then when Tina uses her telekinesis to throws the potted plant at Jason, Dan's head comes along for the ride, headbutting Jason.
- With Friends Like These...: Commented on concerning the amount of assholes in the group. Nick says they're not his friends, he's just at the cabin for his cousin's birthday.
- You Killed My Father: Jason kills Tina's mother late in the film, which is what prompts her to unleash everything she can on him.
- Your Head Asplode: More crushed, but Ben's death. Much worse in the workprint version, crushed to the size of a walnut.
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives Franchise/Friday the 13th Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives Films of the 1980s Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan