A Web Original
work by Proximal Flame first published on Spacebattles Forum in December of 2012. Can be found here
The story opens with the the death of a Compact Chariot at the hands of the first Human Dreadnaught. The Compact is a collection of alien species that seeks to conquer Humanity and absorb them into their ever expanding empire. They outnumber and out-gun Humanity, and their flagships, the Chariots have never been defeated. Nemesis breaks that streak, being the first to slay a Compact Chariot in combat. Despite this Nemesis is nearly crippled and her crew decimated. Oh, and one Compact ship get away with Earth's coordinates.
Cut to two thousand years later. The Compact has continued to grow and advance, and all that remains of Humanity is Rally, a single colony the Compact has found, whose population has long since been culturally subverted into loyal citizens. Sectator Citizen Grace Alice Proctor is a cadet in the Compact Space Force. Joining her on the training ship Bequeathed
is her alien friend, Allyria, who was resettled from the recently conquered Verrish homeworld onto Rally to help the young Verrisha assimilate into Compact culture. Grace is a model Compact citizens who believes in the ideals that the Compact is built on, but Allyria nurses a hidden disdain for the civilization that conquered her home.
, Grace has to deal with a lecherous and sadistic superior officer while Allyria is routinely put down by the ship's Tribunes, who are still holding a grudge over how much trouble the Verrish gave their invasion force. Then Bequeathed
stumbles upon a massive alien derelict in a remote star system. It's the find of the lifetime, and the Bequeathed's
captain wants to take the credit. Salvage teams are sent to board it and evaluate the technological treasures within.
But not all is right. There's a warning in Common drawn on the ancient walls of the hangar bay, there's a pounding coming from deep within the ship, and sometimes... maybe... you think you hear laughter in the static on the radio. Grace is worried, her section leader is having nightmares, and Allyria... seems to know something.
Contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Baleblades have forcefield cutting edges that will tear through molecular bonds.
- Artificial Gravity: Seems to be an ubiquitous technology.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: One of the few things the Compact and the Askanj agree on is that AIs are a bad thing. Names like 'Abomination' and 'Neverborn' are floated often when the subject comes up. In their defense, they seem to have a point. The author has even stated that if her creators saw what Red had become, they would freak out. When the Askanj tumbled unto an AI civilization, they immediately bombarded the planet to glass for orbit, this event is referred to as the Rains of Oshanta.
- Notably, its VERY strongly implied that humanity had some behind the scenes help in making Red. The only other AI we've seen, Echo, is even less stable. Through that's confirmed to be due to the Compact trying to make her loyal and failing, repeatedly. She was stable before she watched Earth burn, unable to do a thing about it.
- Proximal Flame has said that it is much easier to make strong AI than to make strong, friendly AI, and with both galactic superpowers actively destroying anything to do with AI, no one has the chance to get it right.
- Further complicated by the absence of anything between expert systems and seed AI. Some of Nemesis's creations such as hunter-killer drones, subversion weapons and combat bots seem to be in that gap, but as creations of a seed AI they don't really help the issue at all.
- Alien Invasion: How the compact grows. Standard first contact protocol is to jump a fleet in above an enemy world and ask it to join. If they decline, the fleet starts shooting until they say yes.
- All There in the Manual: The author goes into a lot of details on the setting in answering readers' questions.
- Apocalypse How: Both superpowers are capable of this. The Compact is seen glassing Earth and the Askaji have the Rains of Oshanta. And then Nemesis goes and invents the starbreak.
- Attack Drone: Nemesis has built a small army of robotic hunter killers that allow her to put troops on the ground when she needs to and function to defend her against boarding parties.
- Brain/Computer Interface: The compact abhors these due to their tendency to drive users crazy or dead, while the Askanj have refined the technology to the point where it's merely difficult to use. Nemesis also uses the technology for... interrogation.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": The Compact, Askanj and Humanity all have different words for ranks and titles. An Askanj Shipstress, a Compact Group Leader Prime and a Human Captain are all equivalent for example. The different naming conventions underscore the alien nature of the different civilizations. See here for a breakdown of Compact ranks.
- Cool Starship: Nemesis is the first Dreadnaught built by Humanity and it's first true warship. Chariots, the flagships of the Compact also count.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Whenever Nemesis attacks the Compact, it's from a position of strength and with a strategy that will maximize the damage she does. This translates to a disproportionate amount of her strikes turning into this.
- All ground engagements involving Nemesis are this. Her killbots are superior physically to all organic combatants, able to use hardware than organics can't use safely, are perfectly coordinated, and never break, panic or rout.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The Compact glassed Earth and hunted down every exodus fleet they could find. The only reason Rally wasn't completely obliterated was because it was discovered by a Compact civilian exploration team who published their findings before the Triarchs became aware of what they'd found. They couldn't just order the planet glassed at that point without people wondering why.
- Evil Counterpart: Echo to Nemesis.
- Fantastic Racism: And how! The Verrish are officially refereed to as 'Brute' while the Humans are 'Broken'. The Tribunes look down upon conquered species as inferior in every way and dismiss ships like Bequeathed as PR stunts that give the masses false hope.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel: The shock drives allow a ship to cross vast distances in an instant and make up a huge part of a ship's total cost. Ships can only jump outside of a system's gravity well until Nemesis pioneered Lagrange Point jumps.
- Galactic Superpower: The Compact of Species and it's adversary, the Askanj Commonwealth.
- Gunboat Diplomacy: Look up 'Compact First Contact protocols' in the dictionary.
- Ghost Ship: Nemesis plays up this trope as a form of psychological warfare against the salvage crew from Bequeathed.
- Hopeless War: Nemesis has been fighting the Compact for 2000 years, but for all that she's still just one ship and the Compact grows bigger each year. It's hinted in chapter 34 that Nemesis has acquired the ability to build more of her kind and is doing so.
- Hollywood Hacking: Averted. Nemesis can do some really impressive tricks with electronic warfare, but denying her access by hardware means or keeping the lag time high enough that her hacks can be dealt with stops her cold.
- Similarly, Echo, despite being apparently on Nemesis's level, can be prevented from hacking anything by keeping her away from any terminals that she shouldn't have access to.
- Implacable Man: Nemesis has been waging war against the Compact for 2000 years.
- Interspecies Romance: Grace and Allyria finally admit their feelings in Chapter 36.
- Ironic Echo: The phrase "Burn with me." seems to be rooted in the only transmission the Compact made to Humanity during the battle of earth: "You. Will. burn."
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: Nemesis' point defense armament consists of relativistic rail-guns.
- Her big guns are six spinal mounted, high-relativistic rail-guns capable of causing extinction level events. They also home in on their targets, giving them a far better effective range than any other gun in the galaxy.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Nasham is on meds to suppress his memories of his run in with Nemesis, both for psychiatric reasons and because the Compact doesn't want to admit Nemesis exists.
- Last of His Kind: Nemesis was supposed to be the first of a series of Dreadnaughts built to fight the Compact. Now she is the last vestige of human culture and civilization.
- Last Stand: The battle of Earth.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Everyone except Nemesis, Grace, Allyria, and Echo has an Oh Crap in Chapter 34: The crew of the Bequeathed as Nemesis kills them all after they bring the breach core online, and Renan as realizes that the Compact will face a fleet of Nemesis's.
- Naming Your Colony World: The only surviving Human exodus colony is named 'Rally'.
- I Have Many Names: Nemesis. To the Compact she is 'The Wound'. The Verrish called her the 'Weeping Angel' and 'The Broken God.
- Orbital Bombardment: All over the place, mostly Nemesis wrecking Compact installations.
- Oh Crap: Chapter 34: Renan realizes Nemesis hasn't been building a 'cradle' to repair. She has been making preparations to reproduce.
- Out-Gambitted: Happens to every single Compact commander who thinks they have Red One's tactics figured out. Turns out trying to out-plan a military seed AI doesn't work.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Nemesis tells Compact ships and stations she's about to kill to "Burn with Me".
- Sapient Ship: Nemesis's AI is called 'Red One', 'Red' to her friends. She is the first AI to ever be given command over so much direct firepower.
- Space Marines: The Compact's Janissaries. The Askanj's Legionnaires.
- The Mole: Allyria was never loyal to the Compact in the first place. She didn't expect to be able to pull off a backstab on this level, though.
- Theme Naming: Compact ship names tend to be poetic.
- Proud Warrior Race: The Tribunes make up the bulk of the Compact's military. The Verrish aren't quite as strong as a tribune, but they're faster, and they're one of the few species that has ever managed to wrangle concessions out of a Compact occupation force, no matter how minor.
- Wave Motion Gun: Nemesis' main cannon is a shock point projector that takes the shackled shock point inside her main reactor and flings it at the enemy.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Nemesis wipes out the crew of the Bequeathed the instant they bring the breach core back online.
- She kills the few who were given a chance to defect and failed to do so after tricking them onto a barge with a promise of freedom.
- Nasham is allowed to live because he's more useful as a tool for her to manipulate the Compact alive and she can easily ensure he will do what she wants by understanding his character and Compact MO.