open/close all foldersMain Discworld novels
- The Colour of Magic
- The Light Fantastic
- Equal Rites
- Wyrd Sisters
- Guards! Guards!
- Moving Pictures
- Reaper Man
- Witches Abroad
- Small Gods
- Lords and Ladies
- Men at Arms
- Soul Music
- Interesting Times
- Feet of Clay
- The Last Continent
- Carpe Jugulum
- The Fifth Elephant
- The Truth
- Thief of Time
- Night Watch
- Monstrous Regiment
- Going Postal
- Making Money
- Unseen Academicals
- Raising Steam
- The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
- The Wee Free Men
- A Hat Full of Sky
- I Shall Wear Midnight
- The Shepherd's Crown
- In the short story "Theatre of Cruelty," Carrot is investigating a death to which there were no apparent witnesses. So in search of a lead, he goes and waits with an elderly man until You Know Who shows up, goes, "Now I know you saw something, sir. You were there," and then tricks him into helping the police with their enquiries.
Carrot: You see, sir, as I understand the law, you are an Accessory After the Fact. Or possibly Before the Fact.
Death: Young man, I am the fact.
- In "The Sea and Little Fishes", something about the way Pratchett describes a villager's Pose of Supplication is absolutely hilarious.
The man next to Poorchick took off his hat quickly and held it respectfully in front of him in the ay-seņor-the-bandidos-have-raided-our-villages position.
Characters who are mentioned but never appear
- Anything involving Bloody Stupid Johnson, or the remarkable lateral thinking of Ankh-Morpork citizens.
- The "Improved Manicure Device", now used for peeling potatoes at Unseen University.
- "Retrophrenology": if the bumps in your head indicate your personality traits, then changing them will affect your character. In practice, this just means getting thumped with a variety of differently-sized hammers, but it provides work and it keeps the money circulating, and that's the important thing.
- Archchancellor Ridcully, in Hogfather, taking a shower in a bathroom designed by Johnson. He made the mistake of pressing the tap marked "Old Faithful," and had a bit of trouble walking for a while afterwards.
"Ye gods, I've never felt so clean."
- The landscaping Bloody Stupid did for the palace garden, which included a 150 yard by 1 inch trout lake (home to one thin trout, who presumably would be periodically turned around by the gardeners). The perimeter is presumably denotated by a hoho, i.e. a 50 feet deep haha. It's claimed three palace gardener's lives, and once trapped the Head of the Assassin's Guild.
- The short film "Run Rincewind Run!" is a Crowning Moment of Funny addressed from Discworld's fans to Terry Pratchett.