Funny: The Truth
- This gem:
Mr. Tulip: It's not a ——ing harpsichord, it's a ——ing virginal! One ——ing string to a note instead of two! So called because it was an instrument for ——ing young ladies!
Chair: My word, was it? I thought it was just a sort of early piano!
- Otto von Chriek, vampire and 'iconography' enthusiast, has a minor problem: every time the flash goes off, it's bright enough to bring on his traditional vampiric reaction to sunlight. He sometimes has to be swept up and carried home in a dustpan.
- A small but hilarious one: the only Guilds that refuse to vote to impeach Vetinari are the four run by women (specifically the Beggars, the Seamstresses, the Launderers and the Exotic Dancers), prompting William to observe, very dryly, that the man must have led a very interesting life.
- Vetinari, clearly remembering the events from Sourcery, Moving Pictures, and the Noodle Incident involving Mr. Hong's Three Jolly Luck Take-Away Fish Shop, attempts to determine whether allowing the printing press in the city is going to bring on another Eldritch Abomination crisis. It's nice to see that even Vetinari is Wrong Genre Savvy once in a great while:
Vetinari: Possibly on this very site a strange cult once engaged in eldritch rites, the very essence of which permeated the neighborhood, and which seeks only the rite, ahaha, circumstances to once again arise and walk about eating people?William: They made rocking horses here.Vetinari: I've always thought there was something slightly sinister about rocking horses.
- The clacks from the King of Lancre clarifying that women of Lancre are not in the habit of giving birth to snakes. ALL PLUS ARMS LEGS MINUS SCALES FANGS. With a bonus Call Back to the Carter family's notion that if girls are named after virtues then boys should be named after vices—one of the kids is "Catastrophe Carter".
- The Running Gag of Gaspode doing the talking for other people through ventriloquism. "Gottle o' geer, gottle o' geer."