's characters are described hereunder.
As usual with character pages, SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!
An Intrepid Reporter
who used to be a war photographer and is renowned for the quality of his shoots. An interesting byproduct of his job is that he is sexually aroused by taking his photos. Despite being jaded and cynical, he is still passionate about his job and works for a regular magazine. It's during an infiltration mission that he sets foot in the Roppongi Club, a depraved secret society of wealthy hedonists
whose primary goal is to indulge in their basest desires.
He ends up captured and is given a Spit-Trail Kiss
by a hypnotized young girl named Kagura Tennozou, the club's "Goddess" whose ethereal beauty captivates him instantly. He was supposed to die, but the kiss triggered the "Euphoria Factor" in him instead. Apparently a latent gene that only people known as "Euphorics" have, this virus know grants him the power to make the targets of his photo shoots explode
and makes him practically invulnerable to conventional injury
. Using his newfound abilities, he escapes, taking Kagura as a hostage.Both grow quickly close
as Kagura comes to her senses. She realizes just what had been done to her and breaks down
in tears, begging her abductor to take her away with him. (And considering how fucked up her life has been until then, she's got all the reason in the world to wish for that). Saiga decides to free Kagura from the Roppongi club and her unkind mother
- Action Survivor: He was a veteran war photographer before the series and he fits the trope in both appearance and methods.
- Anti-Hero: He's a a bit of a prick, but underneath that he's a genuinely good man.
- Asexuality: For one reason or another. Of course, in an All Men Are Perverts, All Women Are Lustful world, everyone finds it easy to assume he's physically intimate with Kagura.
- Blessed with Suck: His super-powers mean he can't ever take a photo without destroying whatever he's targetting. Which is particularly problematic given that's what he does for a living. Also, overusing his powers is killing his eyes and will eventually send him blind. By the series' end, his eyes have exploded.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Despite being gifted with powers that make him a truly lethal assassin, he's actually one of the few good and decent people in the series.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Ephebophile: Mind you Moral Guardians, Kagura has long hit puberty when she and Saiga hook up.
- Mr. Fanservice: Oh my...
- Even the Guys Want Him: Oh, Bob!
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Intrepid Reporter
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A huge heart of gold indeed.
- Knight In Shining Armour: To Kagura
- Knight In Sour Armour: Saiga knows the world is corrupt and one man can't change it all. That doesn't stop him from being a good person.
- May-December Romance: Kagura is 15. Saiga is 33. Do your maths.
- Lampshaded by Bob who notes that their age difference may not matter now but it will certainly bring about many problems later if they remain together.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Only decapitation can kill him, like all Euphorics.
- Red Right Eye: Subverted. His eye becomes red upon using his power but he isn't evil per se.
- Shirtless Scene: The guy is so damn ripped it's no wonder Ginza lusts after him.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Wife Husbandry: Sort of. He didn't raise Kagura but he sure is a mentor figure to her. He's still 18 years older than her, and she's 15.
A sweet, demure and innocent young girl
who lives sheltered in a high skyscraper in Tokyo. Abused and mistreated by her horrible mother, she still endures it quietly, hoping that one day her courage may pay off and that her mother might grow to genuinely love her. Besides this, she is unwittingly the object of worship of the depraved secret society of Roppongi and is known as "The Goddess".
When Saiga abducts her to save himself, she eventually realizes how she's been manipulated and used by her entourage
and begs Saiga to take her away with him
. Captivated by the purity of Kagura, he complies.
Kagura's growth has been artificially stalled so that she may not lose her catalytic powers that trigger the Euphoria virus in the carriers of the gene. Since she is under constant medication, she also runs a risk of dying
if she doesn't go through intensive rehab due to how intoxicated her body is with the drugs she was force-fed back in the days.
Chouji Suitengu aka Ueno Takeshi
A mysterious and enigmatic figure, known to the public only as the right hand man of Shinzen Tennozu. To the wealthy and powerful, he has another side, that of the master of the ultra-exclusive Roppongi Club, a black club where the elite can satisfy any fetish, perversion or delight they may have, no matter how depraved or the cost in human life.In reality, Suitengu despises the wealthy and powerful amongst whom he walks, and while he outwardly seems to revel in the obscene amounts of wealth he has access to — chainsmoking long cigarettes rolled in 1000 yen notes, which he tends to casually discard when they are only halfway burnt, is the most obvious of his vices — the reality is that he has no greater desire than to see them all torn down for their corruption and decadence.As a child, Choji Suitengu was known as Ueno Takeshi, the son of wealthy parents and older brother to a young sister, Yui Takeshi, that he adored. Until the morning he woke up and found his parents had hanged themselves. That was when Kamiya appeared and took him and his sister as slaves to pay off the debts that their parents had owed. Ueno was sold to a mercenary group, becoming a Child Soldier; on the very last mission that he needed to undertake to be freed, he found himself raiding a bio-organic weapons lab, which self-destructed. He survived, and was rescued by surviving scientists from the lab. Though they in turn were killed by a government strike squad, Ueno Takeshi had already become the first of the Euphorics.Returning to Japan, Ueno swore revenge on the corrupt elite whose reverence of money over human life had seen his family destroyed. Discovering his sister had been sold into sex slavery, an experience that had left her too brain-damaged to recognize anything except how to pleasure people and the desperate need to gather money, forcing him to Mercy Kill her, was the final straw. Reinventing himself as Choji Suitengu, he seduced, manipulated and murdered his way into the Tennozu Group and, from there, into creating the Roppongi Club.
A Euphoric, Suitengu's power is to manipulate his own blood.
- A Father to His Men: His three Co-Dragons absolutely worship him. two refuse to leave his side in the eleventh hour, even when it means their almost certain death. The third later plans to construct a skyscraper to honor them.
- Anti-Villain: Type II and III
- The Bad Guy Wins: Though he dies, he pulls off his plan, wiping out the Japanese upper class in his club and triggering the collapse he wanted.
- Berserk Button: Suitengu is very calm, reserved and stoic about nearly everything. The one thing that finally makes him snap on someone is the guy trying to prostitute his five year old daughter to him for money, having mistaken Suitengu's Pet the Dog towards her as lust.
- Big Bad: The real one of the series
- Bloody Murder: His main ability
- Break the Cutie: His backstory
- Broken Bird
- The Chessmaster
- Child Soldiers: His past
- Death Seeker
- Dragon-in-Chief: As well as a Dragon with an Agenda.
- Evil Smoker: Effeminately thin, long cigarettes rolled out of money.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Tsujido is so blatantly gay for him that it may as well be explicitly stated.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Once upon a time, he was an innocent kid with no real ambitions and definitely no evil ones. Then life happened and he's become one of the most powerful and ruthless men alive.
- Game Face: He doesn't show it to anyone unless he intends to kill them.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Gold Digger: A rare male example.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: His birthmark.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Shinzen and most of the other corrupt rich people he interacts with think he's in it for money and power, when in reality, he's a brutal Well-Intentioned Extremist who is plotting against them.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Along with And Now You Must Marry Me.
- Likes Older Women: He's Shinzen's lover but, well, there are other reasons to that.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Money to Burn
- Not So Stoic: He is sobbing when he is forced to mercy kill his beloved little sister. When he brutally beats a man to death for trying to prostitute his five year old daughter, he screams "You upper-crust vermin with your bloodstained money! You did this to me! You made into this monster!
- Pet the Dog: Even while keeping Kagura confined, he shields her from her mother's abuse. When a club member is unable to pay his dues and his daughter naively tries to offer play money, Suitengu is touched and lets him off the hook.
- Red Right Hand
- Scary Shiny Glasses
- Shirtless Scene
- Tragic Villain & Tragic Monster
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Once was a nice young boy from a more-or-less affluent family... until he and his little sister Yui were orphaned.
- Walking Spoiler
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: His ultimate goal is to die after destroying the corrupted culture of greed that Japan had become, as they forced him and his sister into a living hell.
- Wouldn't Hurt a Child
Voiced by: Takako Honda (JP), Clarine Harp (EN)
A very proactive, sultry
and shrewd Rabid Cop
, Hibari is also Saiga's Stalker with a Crush
who wants to have him for herself. Dressed in a red jumpsuit to highlight her knock-out body, she uses her golden-plated guns as a weapon and is far from being a by-the-book cop.Able to hold her own in a fight
, she usually doesn't hesitate to use physical force to get the info she needs and isn't big on morality either. Seeing Kagura as a wedge between her and Saiga, she coldly gives her back to her horrible mother in exchange of having her way with an unconscious Tatsumi.
Despite her initially obstructive behaviour, she eventually becomes intrigued with the Roppongi club and eventually understands that her enemy isn't necessarily the one she believes...
Voiced by: Gara Takashima (JP), Pam Dougherty (EN)
The ruthless, domineering and abusive mother of Kagura. A former actress
who used to have some success back in her prime, she is now the head of the Tennozu Foundation, a powerful financial company that oversees the political and monetary landscape of Japan, often corrupting politicians and businessmen through the promise of indulgence in their basest desires in the Roppongi club.
She highly resents her daughter for being a constant reminder of her father and how he let her down
and is kind of a bitch in general.
She is involved with Suitengu but she knows that there is no love between them
and unapologetically indulges in her lustful desires with him. Still good-looking for a woman her age
, she doesn't waver in personally corrupting those who may obstruct her schemes or who just want to protect her daughter from her.
Her only weakness seems to be the fondness she has for her former mentor,Gotokuji, now a disabled and delirious old woman. She is eventually killed by Suitengu himself, realizing that she was foolish to believe that she could handle someone like him and dies in her dauthger's arms..
- Alas, Poor Villain: At least intended, considering Kagura's heartbreak when she's killed by Suitengu.
- Affably Evil: Bitchy but polite all the same.
- Abusive Parents
- Big Bad Wannabe
- Depraved Bisexual: Rare Female Example
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In Kaguras's right after Suitengu strangles her and shoots Gotokuji in the head.
- Evil Matriarch
- Flower Motifs: if she cuts one, it's never a good omen.
- Genre Savvy
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Shinzen knew Suitengu didn't love her and only had her as his Meal Ticket... but she didn't know what he would do about it!
- Kick the Dog: Her treatment of Kagura is hideous, but one scene in particular stands out. After having malnourished Kagura, one of her teachers, Ms. Wakaba, promises to talk with Shinzen over it. Kagura returns home, only to find Shinzen having sex with Ms. Wakaba, and then giving her all the money she can carry...and making her leave without her clothes. On the way out, all Ms. Wakaba says to Kagura is to demand she give her a wad of bills she'd dropped while fleeing. The message is pretty obvious from Shinzen to her daughter: "There is nobody you can count on I can't take from you."
- Laser-Guided Karma.
- Manipulative Bitch
- Meal Ticket: To Suitengu but subverted in that she knows it all too well.
- Pet the Dog: She truly cares for her mentor, Ms. Gokutouji
- Rich Bitch
- Smug Snake
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: She once was a quiet, shy young actress with all of her dreams broken. Now look at her... she's a horrible bitch.
- White-Dwarf Starlet
- Widow Woman
- Woman Scorned: If she only knew the truth...
Tsujido, Makabe, Niihari & Kikukawa
Makabe voiced by: Hisao Egawa (JP), Bob Carter (EN)
Kikukawa voiced by: Kaoru Fujita (JP), Brina Palencia (EN)
Tsujido, Makabe and Niihari are Suitengu's most loyal minions, a trio of gangsters he rescued from death at the hands of their superiors when he coincidentally chose to kill off those superiors so that he could take over their turf. Tsujido, noseless from the incident, is also a Euphoric; his fetish for smells has given him an incredibly sharp nose and the ability to track people by scent. It also allows him to transform into a wolf.
Kikukawa is Shinzen Tennozu's right-hand woman, confidently handling any tasks her mistress presents her with and content to stay in the background. When Suitengu kills Shinzen and assumes control of the Tennozu group, she survives and emotionlessly transfers her loyalty to him.
- Anti-Villain: All of them.
- Because You Were Nice to Me/I Owe You My Life: Tsujido, Makabe and Niihari feel this way to Suitengu, who rescued the three of them from horrifying fates.
- Bishōnen: Zig-zagged in regards to Tsujido. He is attractive, but we never quite see all his face with his prosthetic mask and bangs in the way. We do finally see his fully uncovered face when he was younger and he is good looking...except for the fact his nose had just been cut off while he was being tortured. The second time we see his entire face is during his fight with Ginza and the The Reveal of him as a Euphoric and his Transformation Sequence
- Co-Dragons: Though Tsujido, Makabe, and Niihari could all fit into different roles in a Five-Bad Band, the fact that Suitengu holds them all in equal confidence, with none of them more loyal or trusted than the others, makes them closer to this.
- Creepy Crossdresser: Tsujido. The guy's basically wearing a Spy Catsuit with a frilly Absolute Cleavage neckline. Doesn't helpthe outfit he wears during the Ritual of the Goddess Ceremony is a sleeveless Bare Your Midriff top with evening gloves and Grade B Zettai Ryouiki boots. Officially, he was meant to give off "the atmosphere of having an Ambiguous Gender".
- Due to the Dead: In the epilogue, Niihari does a surprisingly noble version of this for his dead friends: he's collecting a crapton of money so that he can build three massive buildings. Kikukawa, whom he reined in, seems to approve gladly as he tells her of his project.
"What can I say, I'm a man with a dream. I'm gonna need me a crapload of cash so's I can build three towers downtown so damn tall they block out the sun. The tallest one, smack in the middle, I'll name 'The Suitengu Building,' and then, the ones on either side, I'm gonna call 'The Tsujido Tower' and 'The Makabe Plaza.' Now that's a dream that's fucking worth something!"
- Evil Is Hammy: Niihari mostly.
- Five-Bad Band or Five-Man Band?:
- Friendly Enemies: Played with. They are by no means friends to Saiga or Kagura but they hold no grudge against either of them.
- Gayngster: Tsujido.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Makabe
- Karma Houdini: Niihari and Kikukawa escape unscathed from the carnage and end up alive (and super rich) in the end.
- Our Were Wolves Are Different Tsujido
- Punch Clock Villain: Most of them, Kikukawa in particular, have no interest in being assholes apart from their jobs.
- Implied Rape: With Tsujido. When Suitengu found him, he was strung up, naked, and a man was pulling up his pants.
- Sissy Villain: Tsujido. See Creepy Crossdresser above.
- Satellite Character: Kikukawa, who stays mostly in the background although she shows up consistently.
- Subordinate Excuse
- Unholy Matrimony: Niihari and Kikukawa are heavily implied to end up as such in the end.
- Villainous Friendship: The three Co-Dragons and Suitengu share a great big Type 1 with each other.
- Kikukawa's quick transfer to Suitengu's side without so much as a reaction indicates a Type II-IV mixture. Sort of hard to gauge given her inconsistent screen time. Maybe she and Suitengu bonded off-screen?
- You Are Not Alone/Stay With You Until We Die: Invoked. Despite Ginza having knifed him in the neck, blasting him with a shotgun, and the Roppongi collapsing, Tsujido stayed behind in order to carry Suitengu to the generator so he could activate the Self-Destructive Charge.
Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (JP), Antimere Robinson (EN)
A flamboyantly gay American man whose passport was invalidated, trapping him in Japan, Bob runs a massage parlour out of his apartment and lives in the same building as Saiga. The two are friends, and Bob is a good person, so he regularly tries to help Saiga as he gets more caught up in the mess with Suitengu and his Roppongi Club. Bob has a sister (a male-to-female transsexual
) named David, who runs "Le Pub David", a cabaret staffed by male-to-female transsexuals.
A doctor that was responsible for operating on and saving the life of Saiga after he was pulled from the rubble of the bioweapons lab where he unknowingly contracted the Euphoria Virus
. Afterwards, he got married and settled down in a private clinic in Japan, until his wife died of cancer. After Saiga becomes a Euphoric and rescues Kagura, he comes to Genba for assistance in finding out what is wrong with the both of them.
One of the Roppongi Club's assassins, a Euphoric with the power to manipulate water and turn herself into a mermaid-like creature. As a child actress, her stage-mom tried on several occasions to commit a double-suicide by drowning the both of them; finally, she died but Miharu survived, being left mute. A number of relationships with men followed; all went sour and they invariably tried to drown her and themselves at once, though she always survived.
A great ballet dancer, but obsessed with flexibility (and, by extension, rubber) to the point of insanity. First seen breaking a would-be pupil's arm for not being flexible enough, he later becomes the first Euphoric to be seen in the series. His power is to become living rubber, a talent he uses to serve as an assassin for the Roppongi Club.
Voiced by: Takehiro Koyama (JP), John Swasey (EN)
The Prime Minister of Japan, and involved in the Roppongi Club up to his eyeballs, with plans to seize control of the club from Suitengu and place it under government control. A Euphoric, his fixation on food and eating gave him the power to mutate into a huge head-creature with acidic saliva, so he could more easily eat anything he pleased.When he was just a lowly Minister in the Japanese Cabinet, the Takeshi family found themselves deeply in debt to him. When they hanged themselves because they couldn't pay up, he sold the children Ueno and Yui into slavery to "work off the debt". Yui went insane as a sex slave, while Ueno became Suitengu.