Characters: Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki
open/close all folders
YuukiYuuki was once a male magical girl fan. Thanks to Hermod's magic, Yuuki is now a female magical girl fan who transforms into a magical girl herself. Yuuki is the new valkyrie and is charged with protecting Midgard and Asgard from the forces of the fire giant Surt.
- Action Girl: Though he used to be a guy.
- Ascended Fanboy: Parodied and deconstructed; despite being a Magical Girl fan, Yuuki isn't really happy to have been forcefully turned into a woman and hired as a Valkyrie.
- Bishōnen: He was this before his transformation.
- Chick Magnet: Chiaki, Taki, Loki, Freya... the scary thing is, he seems to attract even more girls since his genderbent.
- Combat Tentacles: Of ribbon
- Drop the Hammer: His Weapon of Choice, since his battle strategy has two modes: Spam basic attacks or claim that he never signed up for this anyway.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Here
- First Law of Gender-Bending: When Hermod tells Yuuki he can't undo the gender bending.
- Foreshadowing: Yuuki's rather squick-y costume manipulation involving the ribbon.
- Gender-Blender Name: The Japanese name Yuuki can be given to both boys and girls.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Well, more like I just want to be a guy again, but still.
- Magical Girl: Of the Magical Girl Warrior variety.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman: And takes it to its logical conclusion.
- Meaningful Name: Yuuki means "Courage".
- Nosebleed: Combined with High-Pressure Blood when Shebi holds him just a little too close, after having her armor stripped.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Come on, he's a Magical Girl. Of course they're going to expose his face at all times.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: His alter-ego, overlapping with Long Hair Is Feminine. As per the usual case of the trope, it goes back to normal after he powers down. Except for that one time.
- Power Parasite: Yuuki is able to steal power from Otsana and Shebi
- Power Perversion Potential: He seems... very satisfied to absorb others' armor.
- Rage Breaking Point: He eventually loses it when, after forcefully turning him into a girl, ordering him to fight monster, and providing him a Training from Hell, his Aesir friends try to kill him because they think he is a monster.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Yuuki does this in the chapter Game Changer in a way reminiscent of a Split Personality Takeover. Or indeed in a way reminiscent to Freya's eyes when she was trying to kill Yuuki directly.
- Refusal of the Call: He outright told Freya he wasn't interested in being a Valkyrie and was willing to give the gem back. Too bad you can't remove it without killing yourself.
- Super Gender-Bender: Even provide the trope picture.
- Weak, but Skilled: Yuuki continually impresses Thor and Hermod by quickly mastering abilities other Valkries never even knew they had, but since everyone else s/he fights is either a legendary hero, a mythological monster, part-god, or some combination thereof, s/he's always outclassed in terms of strength. Lampshaded by Yuuki. "Why is everybody I meet stronger than me!?" indeed.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: He even admits to the fact of having costumes. In a Flashback, it fools almost everyone except a young Chiaki.
- Winged Humanoid: Once (s)he is able to summon Valkyrie wings.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: In the first chapters, he has a bad habit to think he is in an actual Magical Girl story.
FreyaThe Goddess of War and Beauty, and leader of all Valkyries and is the first and most powerful of The Valkyries. She has conflicting feelings towards Yuuki, wanting to kill Yuuki for being a weak Valkyrie, yet desiring to engage in a physical relationship with her. Although Loki thwarted her initial attempts to the former, Freya has since resurrected two Valkyries from ancient times to find Yuuki.
- Action Girl: She led an entire faction of them.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The leader of the Walkyries and the most powerful amongst them.
- Ax-Crazy: Yuuki calls her a "psycho bitch".Freyr: DON'T CALL...!Odin: She's a psycho bitch. Freya... don't pay her too much mind, because she has clearly lost hers.
- Black Comedy Rape: Ah Freya. Ripping off Yuki's clothing and putting a finger up his/her skirt.
- Blade on a Stick: Her Weapon of Choice.
- Daddy's Girl: Inverted; see above under Ax-Crazy. Odin has no patience for her.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Which Loki gladfully exploited to trick her.
- Most Common Superpower: Most female characters in this webcomic have this, but she takes it Up to Eleven.
- Stripperiffic: Oh gosh... she hardly even wears anything to hide her panties.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She is attempting to save the Eight Realms by recruiting powerful Walkyries. The problem is: she is willing to kill those she considers weak and unworthy, and that include Yuuki.
- You Have Failed Me: Threatened Otsana and Sheby with this.
OtsanaAn ancient berserker who was the Valkyrie for a time. She still has most of her powers, and serves at Freya's pleasure.
- All There in the Manual: She and Shebi get backstory in a hard to find bonus comic◊.
- Animal Motifs: The Wolf since she is a Berserker.
- The Berserker: Since she is from The Days of Berserkers and "High Adventures," which would also explain her wolf motif.
- Fur Bikini: Justified since she is a Berserker
- Male Gaze: Lampshaded in a strip where Otsana is wearing only a large t-shirt while ordering around their "host", all the frames from his perspective go up to her shoulders.
ShebiA Valkyrie from Ancient Egypt, who retained most of her powers and remained loyal to Freya.
- Ambiguously Brown: Apparently Egyptian.
HermodHermod is the god of messengers in the Norse pantheon. He sides with the Aesir, which is led by Odin. Hermod was sent to Midgard (the mortal realm) to find the new valkyrie. He decided that disguising himself as a magical girl DVD was the best way to find one.
- Baleful Polymorph: Courtesy of Loki, he is forced to assume the form of a cat-like pet. Possibly a marmoset.
- Mentor Archetype: Initially, to Yuuki. Though he sucks at it, and Thor quickly takes over.
LokiLoki was a giant who was found by Odin and his brothers. Despite their hatred of giants, they thought he was awesome, so Odin made Loki a blood brother, thus making him one of the Aesir. Currently Loki is chained under the earth with a snake dripping poison into his eyes because of the whole Balder incident. Loki's whole take on the incident was the that "the little snot had it coming to him." This defense didn't help him.Loki is able to project himself into the body of a stuffed white cat, so he is able once again wander Midgard. The knife he carries is for "little children and dogs that have the stones to pick [him] up."
- Anything That Moves: According to Freyr, he even slept with monsters; though he seems to be reluctant to sleep with males.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: He does this once- "Excuse me, but for the sake of the viewers, can we make this battle not last 50 billion pages like the wolves battle?"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He may looks like a mere pervert stuffed animal who acts goofy all the time, but he is able to match Freya in a fight.
- Dirty Old Man: He is one of the oldest beings in the universe, and yet one of the biggest perverts ever. According to himself, however, he looks quite handsome in his real form.
- Heel-Face Turn: Sort of; as expetable from the God of Trickery, his position tends to be... unclear.
- Kid with the Leash: Subverted - it may look like this to a Gunnerkrigg Court reader because Loki can only manifest through a stuffed kitty that Yuuki owns, but Yuuki doesn't really have any control over him.
- Killer Rabbit: A facet of the above - the doll may seem harmless, but it's still Loki...
OdinThe King of The Norse Gods.
ThorThor is an easy going sort who enjoys a good fight and loves to party. He used to hang out with Loki back in the day, but the whole "Balder incident" puts a damper on that. Though with Loki's current freedom, that may change.
- Boisterous Bruiser: As with most depictions of Thor.
- Drop the Hammer: Well it's Thor after all.
- Fun T-Shirt: His says "Lightning! Fuck Yeah!"
- Gender Bender: Not in the comic itself, but he references an event from Norse mythology.Thor: Loki said I was cute...
Freyr: Loki sleeps with monsters, Thor.
FreyrFreya's twin brother and her complete opposite, Freyr opts for giving Yuuki a chance to become stronger. He allows Yuuki to stay in Alfheim where s/he can finish his/her training.
- Brother-Sister Incest: With Freya.
SurtSurt is the leader of the fire giants and Muspellheim. He hates the Aesir for hunting his kind and forcing them to live on the fringes of the universe. He wants to get revenge and waits patiently from the edge of Muspellheim for his chance.
- Evil Is Burning Hot: He is a fire giant, after all.
- Freudian Excuse: A notable departure from Surt's usual Generic Doomsday Villain portrayal, this version of Surt actually has a reason for what he is trying to do; he hates the Aesir for hunting his kind and forcing them to live at the fringes of the universe. The fact that the Aesir like to throw rocks at them in their spare time doesn't help.
Creatures of Norse Myths
Myu Myu-chan/The AurochMyu Myu-chan the Auroch is the first beast that Yuuki faces. He is not so much dumb, but easily confused. As the large bull auroch, he is capable of destroying city blocks in a matter of seconds. But as a small "lawn-cow," he is capable of being run over by cars.
SlepnirOne of Loki's children. He always calls Loki "Mommy," despite Loki's annoyance, due to the fact that Loki gave birth to him.
- Dumb Blond: He's a golden-furred horse, and only slightly smarter than a box of hammers.
Huginn and Muninn
Huginn and MuninnTwo crow beasts Yuuki has to fight. Much smarter than Slepnir (not that it takes much).
- Clever Crows: They're insulted when Yuuki tries to trick them in the same way as she did to Slepnir.
Shuzaya ChiakiShuzaya Chiaki has only one want in life: to be in a magical girl story. While this may seem silly, magical girls are everything to Chiaki. She believes that there are magical girls in this world. There just has to be. She doesn't know how right she is though.
- Damsel in Distress: During the fight with the Crows and a short dream sequence.
- Ms. Fanservice: Pretty much all female characters get this, but she is notable as an Invoked case, as Loki admits at some point he put her in a bikini for the sole sake of giving the viewers something to watch.
- Muggle Best Friend: To Yuuki.
- Official Couple: With Yuuki, provided that Himuro Taki's role as the Romantic False Lead is played straight.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Played with; she has an obvious crush on Yuuki, but is the only Muggle to know he was initially a boy. Yuuki did notice she was more interested in him since he had become a Magical Girl, still. Possibly a case of Single-Target Sexuality.
- Stood Up: Yuuki accidentally did this to her.
Himuro Takiaka Hrym, the frost giantHimuro Taki is a student at Montrose Academy East, where he is a office worker some of the time. Taki likes Montrose Academy East because of its strange and varied curriculum (meaning he can study Norse mythology with no problem). He also likes girls who are strong and have something unique about them.
- Even the Guys Want Him: He is the reason Yuuki questions his sexuality.
- Glamor Failure: When he drops his glasses in front of Hermond.
- God in Human Form: He's apparently a very high ranking Ice Giant, and appears to have murdered the real Taki and stolen his form.
- The Mole: Is actually an Ice Giant in disguise.
- Noodle Incident: Just what did he do to Hermond in chapter 12?
- The Smart Guy: On Norse lore. Pretty convenient that it's 100% real. There's a good reason for that. He's an Ice Giant in disguise.