Characters: Sex and the City
The characters from Sex and the City.
Played By: Sarah Jessica Parker
- All Women Love Shoes: She spends a ridiculous amount of money on shoes, and wears said expensive shoes pretty much everywhere.Carrie: I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!
- Ambiguously Jewish
- Author Avatar
- Drama Queen: She overreacts to the tiniest things. Sometimes this is amusing, other times it is not.
- Drink Order: If Carrie doesn't have a Cosmopolitan, she'll usually be seen with a dirty martini.
- Everyone Loves Blondes
- Fag Hag: For Stanford.
- The Fashionista: The essential TV fashionista, actually.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic. An introspective romantic with artistic aspirations.
- The Heroine
- Hot Scoop
- In-Series Nickname: Big calls her "kid".
- It's All About Me: Particularly when it comes to relationships.
- Ivy League for Everyone
- The Leader
- The Mistress: She struggles with this label and the associated guilt during her affair with the married Mr Big.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Plucky Girl
- Runaway Bride
- Smoking Is Cool: She is an on-off smoker.
- Unlimited Wardrobe
Played By: Kim Cattrall
- Anything That Moves: She even briefly dated a woman for a while, but broke up with her when she found Maria too controlling and needy. They part on amicable terms, though.Samantha: I'm a try-sexual. I'll try anything once.
- The Big Girl
- Bi the Way: Shocks her friends when she enters a lesbian relationship. Samantha professes her liberal outlook on sexuality by theorising that in the future all that will matter is sex between individuals, regardless of gender.
- Casual Kink
- Deadpan Snarker: Heavier on the snark than the deadpan, but can dish it out at times.
- Ethical Slut: Famously so.Samantha: I will not be judged by you or society. I will wear whatever and blow whomever I want as long as I can breathe and kneel!
- Everyone Loves Blondes
- Femme Fatale
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine. Fun, non-judgemental, impulsive and self indulgent to a fault.
- Hidden Depths: For all her sleeping around, Samantha never leads any of her dates on and generally seems to have less emotional drama with her various boyfriends than her friends. Plus, she works diligently to boost Smith's career and she's very loyal to Carrie and the others.
- It's also implied that her promiscuity is partly due to the fact that the few times she's genuinely liked a guy enough to pursue a serious relationship, she's gotten her heart broken. As such, she keeps her dates at arms' length to avoid having this happen again.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Lady Killer In Love: On the sparse occasions where Samantha pursues a serious relationship.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Dark to Charlotte's Light.
- May-December Romance: With Smith. And many other nameless men throughout the series.
- The Mistress: Samantha has almost no problem with sleeping with married men. Sometimes, however, this has repercussions for her image or when the husband announces he's leaving his wife for her.
- Mrs. Robinson: Has heavy cougar tendencies.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Porn Stash: She's very open about having a "goody closet".
- Really Gets Around: It's a Running Gag.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Miranda's Blue.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Samantha hastily abandons a new friend when she crosses the line and proves to be far more promiscuous than her.Samantha: Claire-Anne, I'm going! And you can forget Samba!
Played By: Kristin Davis
- Beware the Nice Ones: Charlotte is usually the sweetest and most forgiving of the four, but she isn't afraid to speak her mind if she thinks something is wrong, like calling out Carrie for cheating on Aidan with Big, or slapping her friend's husband when he admits he wants to leave her for Charlotte.
- Brainless Beauty: Probably the most conventionally attractive of the four - also the ditziest.
- The Chick
- The Cutie: known in-universe as "Park Avenue Pollyanna".
- The Ditz: Easily the most gullible character in the series.
- Fag Hag: For Anthony.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic. Loyal, idealistic, sweet and pretty timid.
- The Heart
- Housewife: After her first wedding.
- The Ingenue
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: The Light to Samantha's Dark.
- Love Freak: To the point where she insists that no relationship is a waste of time, even after Burger infamously breaks up with Carrie via a Post-It.
- Ms. Fanservice: Though less shameless than the other three.
- Plucky Girl: Especially when she finds out she can't have a baby.
- Preppy Name
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Dedicated to finding "Mr. Right".Charlotte: I don't want to be the up-the-butt girl, because I mean... Men don't marry up-the-butt girl. Whoever heard of Mrs. Up-The-Butt? No, no, no. I can't. I want children and nice bedding, and I just can't handle this right now...
- Tomboy And Girlygirl: Girly Girl to Miranda's Tomboy.
- True Love Is Exceptional: She thought Trey was her Prince Charming but ended up finding true happiness with Harry.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Hot Wife to Harry's Ugly Guy.
- White Anglo-Saxon Protestant: And proud of it. Until she converts, that is, and becomes a Jewish American Princess.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist
Played By: Cynthia Nixon
- Brutal Honesty: At times.
- Deadpan Snarker: Easily the snarkiest character on the show.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Fiery Redhead: When she gets annoyed.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric. Ambitious, snarky and sensible and hot-tempered.
- Hello, Attorney!
- Ivy League for Everyone: Has a law degree from Harvard.
- The Lancer: To Carrie. Most supportive, but also the most likely to criticize Carrie for her choices.
- Married to the Job: Which is a source of conflict for her when Brady starts to view Magda as his "real mommy"- eventually, she figures out how to balance being a workaholic whilst spending time with her son.
- Mistaken for Gay: Is thought by coworkers to be a lesbian in an early episode.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Not So Stoic: After her mother dies, Miranda puts on a brave face, but ends up breaking down in tears when an over-bearing bra fitter reminds her of her mother.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Carrie when she implies she's going back to Big after his marriage to Natasha breaks down, pointing out that Carrie turns into a desperate, needy person when Big is around and how willing she is to put herself through it over and over.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Samantha's Red.
- The Smart Girl
- The Snark Knight: Miranda is hard on everyone, but especially on herself.Miranda: Do any of you have a completely unremarkable friend or maybe a houseplant I could go to dinner with on Saturday night?
- The Spock
- Straw Feminist
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Team Mom: Especially towards Charlotte.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Charlotte's Girly Girl.
Played By: Chris Noth
- Big Ol' Eyebrows
- Cigar Chomper
- Deadpan Snarker: Especially in response to Carrie's antics.
- No Name Given: To the audience, anyway, symbolizing Carrie's struggle to get close to him emotionally. It's finally revealed in the series finale and subsequent movie: John James Preston.
- Not So Stoic: Is heartbroken by an unemotionally uninvolved movie star and confides in this to Carrie.
- Later in the series he is moved by Carrie's book and very apologetic about hurting her in the past.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Uncle Pennybags: Lampshaded in the movie.
- Will They or Won't They?: With Carrie.
- Your Cheating Heart: He cheats on Natasha with Carrie, even though Carrie was seeing Aidan.
Played By: John Corbett
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: Never manages to forget Carrie's betrayal nor truly trust her.
- Grand Romantic Gesture: Attempts these with Carrie when they get back together.
- Nice Guy: Positioned as this in contrast to the emotionally unavailable Mr Big.
- The Rival: Aidan compared himself to the Green Hornet vs. Big as Batman.
Played By: Mikhail Baryshnikov
- Gentleman Snarker
- Grand Romantic Gesture: His entire relationship to Carrie is made up of these.
- Real Men Cook: Makes Carrie dinner in her own house.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Once he convinces Carrie to move to Paris with him, he constantly leaves her alone in a country where she doesn't speak the language, begs her to come to a museum opening with him and then ignores her all night, and when she confronts him, he replies, "This is who I am".
Played By: Kyle MacLachlan
- Birds of a Feather: For Charlotte. Unfortunately, his intimacy problems in marriage drive a wedge through what brought them together.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Charlotte catches him after he tells her he's not a sexual person.
- I Call Him Mr Happy:Charlotte: You pull me off my unicorn, you tear away my gossamer petticoats, and you put your 'Schooner' deep inside my 'Rebecca'.
- Jizzed in My Pants: When Trey can get sexually aroused, it usually leads to this.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Initially played solely for comedy, but kick starts Trey and Charlotte's marital problems.
- Madonna–Whore Complex: Implied to be a major source of his intimacy issues.
- My Beloved Smother: His overbearing mother has a highly influential opinion on almost every aspect of his life.
- Nice Guy: Despite all their problems, Trey is never cruel towards his wife. Whilst separated he even offers to pay for her dry-cleaning bill.
- Porn Stash: Is a fan of "Jugs", which is intercepted by Charlotte who pastes her unwanted wedding proofs throughout it.
- Preppy Name
- Speed Sex: Related to Trey's impotence.
- White Anglo-Saxon Protestant: Right down to the family estate in Connecticut.
Played By: Willie Garson
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Anthony, for a while.
- The Lancer: He is sometimes Carrie's.
- Pair the Spares: Averted, both of them are offended when Charlotte assumes they will like each other just because they are gay. It takes them a while to get to know each other, first.
- Pet Homosexual: He started out as Carrie's, but he does get his own storylines and calls Carrie out when she acts like his love life with Marcus is of nominal importance.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Carrie.
- Shrinking Violet: Occasionally, he's sometimes insecure around people.
Played By: Mario Cantone
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: Averted- In the movie, he says he's allowed to cheat because he's Italian, not because he's gay. Stanford tells Carrie he just said it to buck tradition.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Stanford, for a while.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: To Stanford.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's very snarky and obnoxious, but he really is a loyal friend to Charlotte.