Characters: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
The following is a list of characters and tropes that apply to them in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha:Sorted by English Name / Japanese Name (due the characters having titles as names, different translations are bound to happen, so the original Japanese names are placed for consistence).
open/close all folders
The Protagonists and their companions
Hero / Yuusha
Voiced by: Jun FukuyamaThe male lead protagonist. A young and powerful human warrior, he came to the Demon World to end the evil of the demons by killing their leader, the Demon Queen. Instead, he learns the harsh reality the Human/Demon war was never a battle between Good and Evil but a period of turmoil where both weak, innocent humans and demons are oppressed and taken advantage by the corrupt and powerful from both sides. Wishing to end the war the right way with the least repercussions, he agrees to become the Demon Queen's ally in her plans to stop the war.
- A Lady on Each Arm: As the Demon Queen puts it, he should feel blessed when Lady Knight and her barge into his bedroom (okay, Head Maid pushed them in) and end up like this. He instead feels like in a Lover Tug-of-War.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Inverted. Despite his battle prowess he is a virgin and shy around girls. Head Maid regularly reminds Demon Queen of this fact.
- Badass: The Hero is basically unstoppable, and every fight he takes part in rapidly becomes a Curb-Stomp Battle in his favour. This includes battles against entire armies.
- He's so Badass, that in an alternate universe proposed by Demon Queen, she was the Hero of the Demon World, sent to plead her case to Hero, who would be the King of the Human World who would have all but levelled the Demon World.
- Black and White Insanity: The Hero used to believe that the humans were good, demons were bad and he can solve the world's problems by defeating the Demon Queen but....
- Character Development: He later realizes how naive he was and starts to wise up and gets rid of his earlier misconceptions.
- Black Knight: After wearing the Demon Armor given to him by the Demon Queen, he becomes the Dark Knight, her enforcer in the Demon world.
- Book Dumb: While he admits he never had a proper education until the church taught him, he's still smart to know about human politics and is willing to learn new things.
- Celibate Hero: He's seemingly somewhat dense over the Demon Queen's advances on him and is sometimes shy about it. Same with Fire Dragon Princess, Demon Girl and Lady Knight. He eventually admits that it is because he wants to avoid a Mayfly-December Romance with Demon Queen.
- Charles Atlas Super Power: Hero's strength is unreal, and it shows he just trained really hard for it.
- Chick Magnet: Lady Knight, Demon Queen, Witch Girl, Grand Princess Fire Dragon...
- The Chosen One: He is one of the two "living singularities" of his world.
- Dark Is Not Evil: As The Dark Knight
- Deadpan Snarker: He hangs lampshades on the weird things that tend to happen around him. The 4komas have him do this even more often.
- The Dragon: As the Dark Knight, he's the Demon Queen's Dragon and enforcer in the Demon world.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: The impending invasion by the Central nations would be no threat at all (Hero has beaten far larger forces without a problem), if not for his resolve to not kill any of them.
- Heroes Want Redheads: More like "Hero got himself a Red Headed Demon Queen".
- Heroes Prefer Swords: When lying low in the Human world, he uses the name of White Swordsman. And swords are his weapon of choice in all three of his identities.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: He's somewhat down when he realizes that all his insane fighting skill doesn't do much to really help people at large.
- Knight In Shining Armour: He truly is a good guy and wants to help the world hence why he's willing to work with the Demon Queen since she can end the war peacefully with the least repercussions.
- Large Ham: Tends to ham it up as the Dark Knight.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Like A Married Couple: Since the Hero and the Demon Queen belong to each other, he is technically her "husband". They even act like a married couple. A sweet, (mostly) innocent, wide-eyed married couple.
- Lonely at the Top: In at least one of the manga adaptations, Archer points out that Hero is so strong that he's effectively completely removed from humanity in term of capacities and thus can't really have allies in battle, because anyone fighting alongside him will at best be irrelevant, at worst a burden.
- Magic Knight: Is not only a good swordsman but a magic user as well like teleportation.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: When the Demon Queen is overtaken by the bloodthirsty spirits of her predecessors, he is able to save her and exorcise them... at the cost of shattering the magic warding off their tomb forever and unleashing them onto the world.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: He calls a "Strategic Retreat" (with great panic) using teleport magic to get away when Grand Princess Fire Dragon (suggestively) invites him to "escort her" back to her "lavish hotel room".
- One-Man Army: Was able to infiltrate the Demon Queen's castle and fought her minions all by himself! Later it is stated that no matter how many, or which army the Hero may face, he will win against it.
- He eventually battles the possessed Demon Queen and the ghosts of pretty much every previous ruler of demonkind at the same time. Except it's not really a fight. It's him kicking all their asses simultaneously, then snapping her out of it.
- The Paladin: While he does believe in the Spirit of Light, he's not as religious as Lady Knight.
- Person of Mass Destruction: During a conversation with him, Lady Knight asks why he doesn´t just destroy Gateway City with a spell called "Ultimate Destruction" because the humans and demons in it will never stop fighting.
- He also destroys the Demon World gate, as well as a mountain at different points in the story, with little indication of any serious effort on his part. In fact he often shows he had to hold back when doing that level of damage, suggesting he could have done much more.
- Pretty Freeloaders: Ironically the Hero feels like one at the beginning of the story. He can't help out much in the household, farm, teach students well or effect lasting change despite his overwhelming combat ability.
- Secret Identity: To protect his reputation and hide the fact he was the Hero who fought the Demon Queen, he goes by the title "The White Swordsman". In the Demon Lands he goes by as Dark Knight, The Dragon to Demon Queen.
- Stepford Smiler: Before he met the Demon Queen, Hero was never sure of his feats really making people lives better, and that was gnawing at him but never let it show.
- Story-Breaker Power: Seriously, if he ever fought with anybody, he's guaranteed to win. He could go solo against any army in the world, and he'd win. The one thing stopping him of course, is his will to help out Demon Queen's quest to improve the situation of the world.
- Supporting Protagonist: Interestingly enough, he's more focused on the good and influence of the Demon Queen, and the series deconstructs that despite the fact that he's The Hero in terms of archetype with all the abilities and fighting prowess, he can do remarkably little compared to the Demon Queen which frustrates him to some degree.
- Take a Third Option: He doesn’t choose between the Demon Queen and Lady Knight, the Light Novel series ends with the three of them, and only them, deciding to retire and travel together to some faraway place to live quietly.
- Technical Pacifist: Following Demon Queen's example, Hero no longer believes fighting fixes anything.
- Hannibal Has a Point: While still believing the Demon Queen was an opponent he couldn't argue against the data proving that the war has actually improved Human living overall.
- World's Strongest Man: Butler says the hero might as well be the strongest warrior in the world.
「Demon Queen/ Demon King / Maou」, 「Ruby Eye / Kougyoku no Hitomi」, 「Crimson Scholar / Kurenai no Gakushi」
Voiced by: Ami KoshimizuThe female lead protagonist. The 43rd ruler of the Demon World and the youngest to rule by demon standards, she is a powerful sorceress but has no experience in battle. Wise and smart, her vast knowledge comes from the "Exterior Library", a hidden dimension where knowledge of the past and future is kept and where her clan lived. Despite her knowledge, she is considered incompetent by the warmongering demon clans. Seeing what would happen to the war if it didn't end without the problems that it cause fixed, she awaited the arrival of the Hero so she could ask for his help to end war the right way. After finally getting him as her ally, she and the Hero travel to the Human world where she takes the identity of the Crimson Scholar, a human noble who has come to help the lower classes.
- Adorkable: Can be lovably awkward around Hero. When listing her good points to him, the only thing she could think of was that she was a superb accountant.
- All Women Are Lustful: Interesting, given her preference not to dress revealingly.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Before leaving for the Demon Lands in search of Witch Girl, Demon Queen asks for a kiss to Hero. He kisses her in the forehead; she feels underwhelmed.
- Badass Bureaucrat: Give her a desk, a whiteboard and trusty field agents and she'll change the world.
- Butt Monkey: In the 4-Koma manga.
- The Chains of Commanding: She's very aware of the potential disasters her plans can bring about and agonizes over the consequences.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: When Hero attempts to set out to find Witch in episode 3, Maou gets annoyed by his attempt to sneak out in the middle of the night to look for her. She also brings up Knight coming to build a convent in the village, and later when she tries to get a kiss on the lips, he kisses her on the forehead instead, earning an annoyed grunt and look from her.
- In episode 5, he returns after being gone for a year. She starts smacking him with her pillow, and wondering why he was gone for so long. He tells her about his postcards, which she doesn't accept. Then when she asks him why he simply didn't just use a spell to destroy a city, Hero explains that there were many people still living there. Then he goes on to explain said people, such as princesses, bar girls, and maids, which causes her to smack him some more.
- The Corruption: The spirits of the former Demon Kings possesses her briefly later on.
- Curtains Match The Windows: A redhead with ruby eyes.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Until she's corrupted by the previous demon kings anyways.
- Demonic Possession: As part of the rites that make her Demon King, she is required to stay in an ancient tomb from time to time, which houses the spirits of past Demon Kings. She would generally visit them on frequent intervals to calm them, but after staying away for too long, they drive her out of her own body and take it over. She ultimately ends up being saved by Hero, using their vow.
- Expy: While it could be accidental, She looks quite a bit like Touhou's Koakumanote , especially in the TV series.
- Faking the Dead: For about a chapter or so after she was hit with a poisoned arrow she faked her death to lure out the one responsible. The Blue Demon Clan.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: It's the Head Maid who actually chooses her wardrobe for public appearances, and she has a Villainous Fashion Sense; left to her own devices, Demon Queen goes for demure and practical.
- Gag Boobs: Both the anime and manga get a lot of comedic mileage out of her bountiful bosom.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When corrupted.
- Good Is Not Soft: Is she kind and idealistic? Yes. Will she stand by and let cruelty and sadness continue to exist when she has the power to stop it? Hell no.
- Guile Hero: Cutting deals and propagating ideas are her weapons.
- The Hero: Ironic, isn't it? Demon Queen drives the plot and sets off the heroic side's actions. He even acknowledges her as such.
- Heroic Spirit: While in the Temple of the Dead with the former Demon Lords' spirits. Cruelly subverted when it actually fails her; she gets possessed by said spirits.
- Hero Killer: Demon Queen's Superpowered Evil Side is the first villain who has been a legitimate threat to one of the heroes. Head Maid is certain that if Demon Queen can't regain control of herself then she won't survive another encounter.
- Hikikomori: The yonkoma makes a joke about the maid treating her as one, complete with leaving food at the door. She does shut herself in with books for longer periods of time, but it's more due to just wanting to read than being reclusive.
- Horned Humanoid: Her horns are pretty much the only non-human feature she has. In most adaptations, however, those horns are actually a removable hair band, which subverts this trope. When corrupted, she seems to grow genuine horns, however.
- I Am Not Pretty: Thinks she's not pretty for focusing on her studies rather than on beauty however...
- Hollywood Nerd: She really is hot.
- Iconic Outfit: Since the anime aired, a flood of fanart of her in her Demon Queen dress (which she only wears early on) began to come out, despite the fact her Scholar outfit is what she more often wears.
- I Have Many Names: Demon Queen, Ruby Eye to Demons, Crimson Scholar to Humans.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: At first it looked like she might just be teasing Hero, but as the story progresses it's obvious she really doesn't understand her "meat" isn't "useless" at all.
- Internal Reformist: She tries first to "work within the system" in the Human lands, but becomes an icon without pretending it.
- The Jail Bait Wait: Demon Queen has known Hero was her fated one since the moment he was born.
- Klingon Promotion: In Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Gaiden, it is revealed she lead a coup and became the Demon Queen immediately after her predecessor, the 42th Demon King, was weakened and defeated by a group of human heroes.
- Klingon Scientists Get No Respect: The Demon tribes are a varied bunch, but most of them are of the Proud Warrior Race type. The Demon Queen, being a strategist good at logistics and numbercrunching, looks like a weak Evil Overlord to them.
- A Lady and a Scholar: Although the way she dresses makes her look more like Wicked Cultured.
- Lady of Black Magic: Although she barely uses any.
- The Leader: Even kings eventually follow her instructions. She is both a charismatic leader and a mastermind.
- Like A Married Couple: Since the Hero and the Demon Queen belong to each other, she is technically his "wife". They even act like a married couple.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: To Hero, in a manner of speaking. Hero was in something of a rut, bordering on Death Seeker before he met her.
- Magical Girlfriend: Though Hero counts as her "Magical Boyfriend" as well
- Minored in Asskicking: According to her, she knows enough magic to get by in a fight.
- It's clear that she's far below Hero and his companions though.
- The Missus and the Ex: The Demon Queen is the "Missus". Unluckily for the Hero, both she and Lady Knight quickly become friends, lucky for him the Light Novel ends with all three retiring and deciding to live together in some faraway place.
- Most Definitely Not The Demon Queen: In the 4komas, Demon Queen is absolutely horrible about maintaining her secret identity; she frequently forgets not to wear her horn headband out in public and often refers to herself as Demon Queen by accident. Everyone in the village starts calling her Demon Queen as an endearing nickname and concludes she can't be the Demon Queen due to being so harmless and inept.
- Ms. Fanservice: No matter what she thinks.
- Not Herself: In several adaptations when she gets ready to enter the temple/tomb of the previous demon lords she tells Head Maid to try to strike her down if she shows any sign of this has it's a hint that the spirits of the former demon lords could try to take over her body which is what happens to her.
- Orcus On Her Throne: Justified, since she's more like figurehead rather than a true ruler.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When Demon Queen staggers out of the temple of the previous Demon Kings, her behavioral change quickly tips off Head Maid that she's been corrupted. Demon Queen's announcement that she's going to fight the humans seals it.
- Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions: She is usually considered one of the most intellectual and intelligent cast members and doesn't believe in the various "spirits" of the Human faith.
- The Paragon: She has a knack for inspiring people to challenge their limits and see things in different ways.
- Polyamory: Totally fine with idea of retiring and traveling together with The Hero and Lady Knight at the end of the Light Novel series, all to live in peace in some faraway place.
- The Power of Trust: She believes that fair deals and honoring your word is the way for a better world.
- Put on a Bus: For a long time she barely appears in person; mostly in occasional flashbacks.
- Queen Incognito: To hide the fact she's the Demon Queen, she takes the identity of a human noble named "the Crimson Scholar" who recently graduated from a prestigious academy.
- Really 700 Years Old: Maybe not so much, but she talks about spending a hundred years studying Economy pretty casually.
- Red Is Heroic
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. She's certainly powerful but also willing to negotiate before opening fire. Played completely straight when they start glowing too.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Evil Redhead: While corrupted.
- Satan Is Good
- Security Blanket: She frequently hides underneath one in the 4komas.
- Self-Deprecation: She can't cook, she's not athletic, and her meat is useless.
- She Is the King: Maou can mean Demon King, Demon Lord, Devil or Devil King; Demon Queen is a case of Translation Style Choices by most translators.
- Silk Hiding Steel: A kind-hearted girl who is willing to take a stand for her beliefs to make the world a kinder and gentler place.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Demon Queen uses glasses, but only for reading.
- Stripperiffic: She wears such an outfit when Hero first meets her, but it's only due to Head Maid's influence; Demon Queen herself dislikes dressing this way. When corrupted, she fully embraces this.
- In The Comp Ace manga version when she's possessed and corrupted by the spirits of the former demon lords she goes beyond stripperiffic and actually only has a few strategically placed magical shadows covering her naughty bits and barely at that.
- Superpowered Evil Side: While under the influence of The Corruption.
- Technical Pacifist: She doesn't believe that bloodshed can be avoided, but she will try her best to do it.
- Team Mom: To the village she settles in.
- We Can Rule Together: Subversion - We can save the world together.
Head Maid / Meido Chou
Voiced by: Chiwa SaitoThe Demon Queen's head maid who has been taking care of her since she was young.
- Action Girl
- An Arm and a Leg: Demon Queen rips off one of her arms while under the influence of The Corruption.
- Battle Butler: The Head Maid lists bodyguard duties and leading armies among her responsibilities as a maid.
- Berserk Button: Don't demean your worth as a human being in front of her. She directly compares the ones who do that with bugs. It comes from personal experience.
- Chessmaster Sidekick: What would Demon Queen do without her? (Besides dressing more homely).
- Expy: Resembles Emma the Maid from Victorian Romance Emma (In the Comp Ace manga version).
- She learned being a maid from books. It's probably on purpose.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While she takes her duty as the Head Maid seriously and looks down on anyone who doesn't do their job well, she does have a soft heart when she hired the runaway serf sisters to be her assistant maids.
- Ninja Maid: The Way of the Maid is considered an honorable calling, on par with chivalry. Then again, Head Maid learnt all she knows about maids from books, most probably Light Novels.
- Otaku: A bit when one considers how she learned the Way of the Maid.
- Really 700 Years Old: She's been by Demon Queen's side since they were kids, and Demon Queen is at least a couple of hundred years old.
- Secret Keeper: She's the only person to know the full extent of Hero and Demon Queen's secret plans.
- Secret Test of Character: To the Maid Sisters.
- Shipper on Deck: For Demon Queen/Hero, of course.
- At least once she seems to encourage a threesome between the Demon Queen, Hero AND Lady Knight
- Undying Loyalty: To Demon Queen, of course, since she was saved by her.
- Villainous Fashion Sense: She really likes to vamp up the Demon Queen; she herself is never seen in anything else but her maid uniform.
Maid Sisters / Meido Shimai
- Action Survivor: Big Sister Maid.
- Badass Pacifist: In episode 9, while disguised as the Crimson Scholar, she gets whipped while giving a very emotional speech about being a human, and about the kinds of freedoms she's experienced, and passed along to others. The crowd begins stoning the church messenger instead, and when they attempt to kill her, the Winter King himself saves her.
- Big Eater: Little Sister Maid. Her obssession with food isn't surprising given her backstory.
- Cheerful Child: Little Sister Maid gradually comes into this trope after being rescued and serving the Demon King's household.
- Children Are Innocent: Little Maid Sister.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The sisters are the only survivors of seven siblings, all dead by starvation and disease. They are runaway serfs, fleeing from a despotic landlord.
- Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!: Having been born a serf, Big Sister Maid values her new found dignity very, very highly. And she will ask others to do the same.
- Happily Adopted: Thanks to Hero, Demon Queen and Head Maid, the Sisters lives are much better than their old life as serfs.
- Holding the Floor: Big Sister Maid/Crimson Scholar justs wants to say something to her fellow humans.
- Identity Impersonator: The Demon Queen gives Big Sister Maid a magical ring that turns her into a virtual copy of her, just in case.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: Big Maid Sister shapes up into this after she's forced to impersonate the Crimson Scholar to fool the Inquisition.
- Only Sane Man: Big Maid Sister is the only character in the 4komas capable of properly imitating Demon Queen. For added fun, she actually portrays Demon Queen as she is in the proper story, as opposed to her incompetent Butt Monkey self presented in the 4komas.
- Supreme Chef: Little Maid Sister.
- Taught by Experience: The Sisters understand about being poor with no food very well unlike those who haven't. This comes in very handy in episode 9 when she gives her speech to the crowd of people.
- Team Normal: Big Sister Maid becomes a de facto member of Demon Queen's conspiracy (to maintain the visible presence of the Crimson Scholar even when the Demon Queen is unavailable), surrounded by nobles, kings, epic heroes and demon geniuses.
- The Heart: Being of humble birth, she gives a commoner's perspective to the conspirators.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Older Maid Sister is very grateful with lessons and ideas she receives from Head Maid and Crimson Scholar. That's why she indirectly refuse Hero's help during her capture by the Inquisitor while she poses as Crimson Scholar, feels that it could demean her value as human being.
- Token Mini-Moe: Little Maid Sister.
- Took a Level in Badass: Big Maid Sister. Definitely.
Lady Knight / Onna Kishi
Voiced by: Miyuki SawashiroA former Crusader and one of the Hero's ex-companions. After the Hero left his companions to face the Demon Queen alone, she retired as a nun back to her home village. After reuniting with the Hero, she becomes a knight again to help the Hero and the Demon Queen.
- A-Cup Angst: She's clearly bothered by the fact that she doesn't...stack up...to Demon Queen. Butler/Archer's mocking of her flat chest doesn't help.
- Action Girl
- Berserk Button: Whenever the Hero abandons her. Also telling her that women can't fight is a bad idea.
- Church Militant/Warrior Nun: A former member of the Holy Sliver Crown Knights.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She doesn't seem to want to let the Demon King have exclusive access to the Hero.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: To the Youngster trio. To be fair, it works.
- Even the Girls Want Her: After her successful Aurora Island campaign, Lady Knight finds she's accumulated quite a few female fans.
- Everybody Knew Already: She was already aware of the Demon Queen's true identity before the Demon Queen confessed the truth to her.
- Hopeless Suitor: When Hero praises the Demon King's motives in doing what she's doing, Lady Knight has a downtrodden look, and realizes she can't compare to her. Despite that, she still tries to spend as much time with him as possible.
- Averted by the end of series, The Hero, The Demon Queen and Lady Knight herself decide to retire and live together in some faraway place.
- Iron Lady: Badass, thy name is Lady Knight]].
- Good Shepherd: A member of a religious order trying to help the poor and helpless.
- Jumped at the Call: Accepted Winter King's offer to become the new Supreme Commander of the Southern Kingdoms Forces.
- Keep the Reward: After the news the Hero wounded the Demon Queen, the United Kingdoms Headquarters offered the Hero's companions rewards and important positions. Lady Knight refused their offers and rewards as it was insulting and felt like stealing the efforts of the Hero's work.
- Knighting: Lady Knight pledges herself to Hero and asks him to make it formal by performing the typical Hollywood short form ceremony (kneeling and being touched on the shoulder with the flat of the sword).
- Lady of War
- The Lancer: To the Hero.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Magic Knight
- The Missus and the Ex: Lady Knight is the "Ex". Unluckily for the Hero, both she and the Demon Queen quickly become friends, lucky for him the Light Novel ends with all three retiring and deciding to live together in some faraway place.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: "Knight of the Demon Mask", "Superhuman Princess" and "Female Assassin of Stone-Wall Iris".
- The Paladin: She's exactly like the Hero except she's more religious in the Spirit of Light religion.
- Polyamory: Totally fine with idea of retiring and traveling together with The Hero and Demon Queen at the end of the Light Novel series, all to live in peace in some faraway place..
- Retired Badass: Became a nun when the Hero's gang disbanded until the Hero and the Demon Queen ask for her help.
- Saintly Church: When Demon Queen asked her to start a convenant in Winter Pass to teach the locals more effective farming techniques and alleviate famine, Lady Knight says "that falls perfectly in line with our mission."
- Translation Style Choices: Woman Knight to Lady Knight, although some translations keeps the plain original name.
Witch Girl / Onna Mahou Tsukai /Silver Mage
Voiced by: Misato FukuenOne of the Hero's ex-companions and the group's mage. Not is much known about her except that she was a skilled wizard with bad social skills but a love for books. Despite appearing Stoic, Witch Girl cared about the Hero. After the Hero was reported missing in the Demon World after his battle with the Demon Queen, she went to the Demon World to find the Hero herself and learn some new spells along the way. As a hobby, she writes her own series of light novels, "Pleasant Serial Killers". She's also the Heroine of the Spin-Off Manga Gaiden in Monthly Shonen Sirius.Is confirmed to be a demon, and is actually from the same clan as Demon Queen.
- And Another Thing: Talks like this a lot.
- Berserk Button: Don't threaten Hero, or she will make you suffer.
- Big Damn Heroes: For Hero against the Blue Demon army.
- Bookworm: Loves books about magic and..
- Chekhov's Gunman: Is mentioned quite a lot but is never seen until late in the story.
- Cute Witch
- Dark and Troubled Past: She was formerly known as Silver Mage where she and her older sister White Mage and Indigo Mage were part of the Magic Association's project to create powerful Artificial Heroes which left many children dead. By the time she abandon the Magic Association and join Hero's party, both of her sister have died.
- I Will Find Hero: Her current quest. She succeeds.
- 108: How many spells she's mastered.
- Pixellation: Likes to bathe naked, and uses magic to give herself a censorship blur in real life so she can hang out with other people at the time.
- Purple Eyes
- Red Baron: Half-Assed Nightmare, Napping Sorcerer and (her favorite one) Pleasant Serial Killer.
- Robe And Witch Hat
- Seeker Archetype: While journeying through the Demon World, she's also learning the magics of the Demon clans. The Fairy Queen comments how talented Witch Girl is in magic.
- Split Personality: Seems to have this, in the anime at the very least. There's a serious, analytical personality, a hot blooded one, and a lazy, prone to fall asleep at any time one. The former two are actually her late older sisters, White Mage and Indigo Mage who died but whose spirits inhabit their younger sister.
- The Stoic: The looks she gives out most of the time, yet....
- Not So Stoic: The fact she's searching for the Hero in the Demon World shows that she cares about him.
- Teleporters and Transporters
- Terse Talker
- Time Master: A skilled user of time magic, which she uses to set up her spells.
- Tomboy: One of her personalities.
- Translation Style Choices: Because Witch Woman doesn't exactly fit her image.
The Southern Kingdoms
Winter Prince (Winter King) / Fuyu no Ouji (Fuyu Ou)
Voiced by: Daisuke HirakawaPrince of the Winter Nation.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In most adaptions, Winter Prince is a blonde while in the Champion Red manga version, he's black haired.
- The Good King: After his father dies.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Wants to help his country survive by it's own without being reliant on the Central Nations "payments" and sees the Crimson Scholar's crops as the solution.
- The Wise Prince
Butler / Shitsuji, Archer / Kyuushi
Voiced by: Banjô GingaWas once known as Archer, Butler was one of the Hero's companions before the Hero's disappearance and went to become the Winter Prince's servant.
- Badass Grandpa: Fought along side the Hero.
- Battle Butler: His current job.
- Dirty Old Man: Likes to grope and make fun of Lady Knight's breasts. Or lack thereof. He even brings up, completely out of the blue, Lady Knight's flat chest when talking to Winter King about her.
- The Jeeves
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Nicknamed "Sudden Death".
- Nonindicative Name: He's not actually an Archer. He never uses a bow or arrow, it's just that he fells enemies so quickly and from afar that it seemed like he was doing so with arrows.
- Ninja: In Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other Side of the Hill.
Blizzard Queen / Hyousetsu no Joou
Voiced by: Mariko FujiiQueen of the Ice Nation.
King Iron Fist / Tetsuwan Ou
Voiced by: Masanori MachidaKing of the Iron Nation.
- Awesome McCoolname
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Shows himself as one when his fairly reasonable defense plan skews off on a tangent about how he'll invade their enemies with an army of giant robots.
- The Good King
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Translation Style Choices: Iron Fist instead of Iron Arm.
King White Night / Byakuya Ou
Voiced by: Masanori MachidaKing of the White Night Nation. Formerly Supreme Commander of the Southern Kingdoms Forces before the 1st invasion of Aurora island failed which lead to the death of 6000 soldiers including the Winter King.
- Dirty Coward: Ran away from battle to save his own skin, justifying it saying he was royalty.
- Green-Eyed Monster: To Winter King for his successful Aurora campaign and for being left out of the alliance between the Winter, Ice and Iron Nations. He essentially sends a political lynch mob after Crimson Scholar because of it.
- Jerkass: Compare to the other leaders of the Southern Kingdoms, King White Night is a insensitive jerk who has no combat experience, leadership skills and refuses to take responsibility when things go bad.
- The Neidermeyer
- Never My Fault: Tries to blame his incompetent leadership and failure of the Aurora island invasion on the late Winter King.
- Puppet King: He's nothing more than a Central Nation puppet.
- We Have Reserves: His opinion of the soldiers fighting for them.
South Arctic General / Minami Kouri Shogun
Voiced by: Hiroshi ShirokumaA giant demon walrus who controls the Aurora Island located south of the Southern Kingdoms. Both the Human Kingdoms and the Demon Queen want to reclaim Aurora island for different reasons respectively; it's a strategic position near the portal to the Demon World and has rich resources particular salt and fish for Fuyugoshi Village.
- A Father to His Men: Despite his Blood Knight tendencies, he does care about his troops like ordering them to retreat after being surrounded by both the Winter Kingdom Forces and Crusaders and is genuinely distressed when his second-in-command is killed.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: He is one of the ten most powerful demons and leads three demon clans.
- Badass: Hero says he fought South Arctic General in the past...meaning that the walrus-demon survived fighting against Hero. That speaks for itself.
- Handicapped Badass: Has a peg-leg in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other Side of the Hill.
- Blade on a Stick: His weapon is a Harpoon.
- Blood Knight: He cares more about fighting than obeying the Demon Queen's orders.
- Go Out with a Smile:He dies congratulating Lady Knight for defeating him.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Sea Monster: Most of his followers are different sea creatures like sharks, turtles, and krakens.
The Merchants Union
The Merchants Union is a large organization in charge with the Southern Kingdoms war effort. Despite being the official war supplier for the humans, the Union has no loyalty to the human kingdoms and are only helping them for the money. The Union is a very powerful organization and to ensure they stay on top, they'll eliminate anyone who threatens their power. Their motto is: "Thou shalt be a merchant before a human, Thou shalt be a merchant before a faithful servant of the Church." Basically, they're Ferengis.
Young Merchant / Seinen Shounin
Voiced by: Hiroshi KamiyaThe head of a trio of merchants in charge of supplying the Southern Kingdoms war effort.
- Affably Evil: He's very charming man and is wiling to compensate you if you sell your invention's rights to the Union. But if you refuse....
- Shame If Something Happened: It'll be shame if those assassins hiding outside of your home were to suddenly attack.
- Rousseau Was Right: Despite his belief in making money no matter what, he is won over by the Crimson Scholar's wish to help end the War by peaceful means. Her altruistic ways convinces the Young Merchant to agree to help her plant corn at the other nations.
- The Chessmaster: His plan to stir up economy by stockpiling consumerable, making their prices rise, and handing out bonds for payment of future harvest. At first, it seems like an attack to weaken the Southern Nations, by destroy their advantages of abundance of food, by making their supply bleed to Central. However, if you think about it carefully, those plans can also backfired toward Central, since too high prices can cause civil unrest, and with the bonds, the nobles practically sold their assets toward Union, leaving nothing for them and their subjects. You can guess what happened if people got starving but food is rare or overpriced. Either way, the Union wins.
- Sadistic Choice: An expert in these.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: After making a deal for buying the Crimson Scholar's Sea Compass rights and in exchange for the Union to plant and grow Corn at the other nations, the Young Merchant admits he's smitten by her intellect and makes a marriage proposal to her. Naturally, she refuses but he won't give up as he'll try again. Too bad for him, she's already in love with someone else.
- And now Grand Princess Dragon practically forces him into makes one toward her father. By forcing him to challenge and defeat her father, The Archduke Fire Dragon.
Shrewd Treasurer / Ratsuwan Kaikei
Voiced by: Shinnosuke TachibanaThe Young Merchant's assistant.
- Depending on the Artist: He's an old man with a monocle in the Comic Clear version while in the Comp Ace version, he's a younger man with a ponytail.
- High-Class Glass: His Comic Clear version.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: His Comp Ace looks.
- Translation Style Choices: Shrewd Treasurer instead of Shrewd Accountant.
Middle Aged Merchant / Chuunen Shounin
Voiced by: Yuichi Nagashima aka ChoThe Young Merchant's mentor.
- Big Fun: His looks in the Comp Ace version.
- Depending on the Artist: In the Comp Ace version, he is portrayed as an older fat man. In the Comic Clear version, he is portrayed as a thin, middle aged man. The only thing common between the two is that the Middle Aged Merchant has Arabian style clothes.
- Translation Style Choices: Middle Aged can also mean Aged.
The Demon World
Archduke Fire Dragon / Hiryuu Taikou
Voiced by: Masashi HiroseA fire dragon and leader of the demon Dragon Clan.
- Cool Old Guy
- Honor Before Reason: He insist on his forces on reclaiming Gateway City despite the Demon Queen's wishes to have the Dark Knight handle that.
- Hot-Blooded: Not surprisingly since he's a Fire Dragon.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: The Dragon clan believes in honor and respect those who keep their promises.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: According to the East Fortress General who officially calls a truce to keep civilians on both sides from getting hurt.
Grand Princess Fire Dragon / Hiryuu Kimijou
Voiced by: Shizuka ItoArchduke's Fire Dragon daughter and Princess of the Dragon Clan.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Standard Hero Reward: Should the Dark Knight succeed in reclaiming Gateway City, the Archduke will give away his daughter to him as his wife/mistress/whatever. That's gonna be awkward for the Dark Knight/Hero.
- The Dragon's Hot Daughter: Her dad's a dragon but she looks like a human. It sorta justified since they're demons.
- She still had tails and horn, though
- Also, sparks fly out of her mouth when she talks.
- She still had tails and horn, though
- Ship Tease: With Young Merchant. To the point that she arranges Young Merchant to challenge her father.
- Translation Style Choices: Great to Grand, it achieves a certain glamour.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Calm, steadfast belief in her father's victory and even when he lost, is perfectly willing to become the Dark Knight's wife/whatever if he reclaims Gateway City, no real questions asked (though she does seem to be looking forward to it). Knowing who her father is, she's probably quite the fighter too.
Fairy Queen / Yousei JoouA fairy and Queen of the Fairy Clan.
- Cute Monster Girl
- Distressed Damsel: Was kept prisoner from the rebellious Black Wolf Clan before being rescued by the Dark Knight.
- Turn the Other Cheek: After being rescued, she accepts the Dark Knight will give a stern warning to the Black Wolf Clan not to rebel again since she holds no grudges against the them and doesn't want any more punishment against them.
Demon Girl / Mazoku Musume
Voiced by: Eriko MatsuiA demon waitress who works in a human bar.
- Cat Girl: In the Champion Red manga version.
- Rape as Drama: It is hinted she was raped by human soldiers.
- Translation Style Choices: Demon Girl instead Demon Daughter.
East Fortress General / Higashi no Saishou
Voiced by: Kenta MiyakeThe leader of the human mercenary armies that guard a fortress outside Gateway city. Unlike his Commanding officer, the General treats demons with respect and dignity.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: He peacefully surrenders Gateway city to the Demons in order to protect his men and the humans living there.
- Officer and a Gentleman: The General treats demons with respect and defends Demon Girl from a group of harassing human soldiers.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He refuses to join the Commander of the Holy Crusaders abandoning Gateway city in order to protect its human citizens and is willing to uses peaceful, diplomatic solutions to keep both the human and demon citizens at peace.
Lieutenant General / RikushouThe East Fortress General Second-in-command.
Commander / Shirei-kanThe leader of the Holy Crusaders that control Gateway city. He is also the White Night King's nephew and is just like his uncle.
- Ax-Crazy: When he's rescued from the Capitol dungeon, he's noticeably worse for the wear.
- Dirty Coward:Like his uncle, he abandons Gateway city to the mercenaries rather than protecting it and sacrifice his men to the retreating demons of Aurora island in order to escape.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Infiltrates the Iron Nation army's camp this way.
- Evil Is Petty: He and his uncle do everything they can to make life difficult for Winter Prince/Winter King for the simple reason that karma caught up to both of them.
- Fantastic Racism: Hates demons very much and sees humans who associate with demons as traitors.
- Hypocrite: Claims his "Holy" Crusaders would never associate with filthy demons despite the fact his men are spending time with female demons.
- Laser-Guided Karma: For abandoning Gateway city and sacrificed his Crusaders lives to escape Aurora island, he is arrested and brought to the Holy King Capitol.
- Like Uncle, Like Nephew:Like his uncle, he's also a jerkass and a coward.
- The Neidermeyer: He is fooled into following the Dark Knight/Hero in circles that by the time the Crusaders reach Aurora island, the Winter Nation Forces are already attacking the South Arctic General forces and the Crusaders get decimated easily by the retreating demons due to exhaustion.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Due to the Hero and the Fairies giving nightmarish illusions to him and his men, the Commander goes nuts and decide to abandon Gateway City and it's citizens and heads back to Aurora island, claiming they're helping reclaiming Aurora island.
- Would Hit a Girl: Tries to kill Crimson Scholar (actually Big Sister Maid) while she's in the Iron Nation. He fails and she is rescued by Warrior Youngster.
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Gaiden Chracters
Feather GirlA young demon girl from the Singing Birds Clan. She was formerly a servant of Lord Wizard, a blue demon who conned the people at his village by using his birds to fake attacks while pretending to rescue them. After the Lord Wizard's con is exposed by Witch Girl, the now free Feather Girl joins Witch Girl in her journey.
- Cute Monster Girl: Cute indeed.
- Dojikko: Bless her heart, she tries her best.
- Honor Before Reason: Even though she can actually fly, she refuses to do so out of respect for her clan's traditions that they can only fly after they perform a ritual for their Goddess.
- I Owe You My Life: After Witch Girl rescues her from Lord Wizard, Feather Girl becomes her servant as thanks for helping.
- Last of Her Kind: She is the last of the Singing Birds Clan after they were wiped out by a rival clan. This is the reason why Feather Girl won't fly since doing so without performing her clans ritual would mean the death of her clans culture and it's people.
Red MageA recurring antagonist in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Gaiden. A mage from the Magic Association, she is ordered by the Pope to find Witch Girl and kill her so she may replace her as Hero's new party member.
- Affably Evil: A fun loving girl who acts nice for a minute and the next will try and kill you.
- Blood Knight: She loves killing.
- Evil Counterpart:To Witch Girl. She was what Witch Girl would have become if she stayed with the Magic Association and never meet Hero and was indoctrinated by the Church's hatred against demons.
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes: Due to her indoctrination, anyone who is a demon and is against the Pope's orders must be killed, no questions asked.
Youngster Trio / Sanbugassou Shitei
Voiced by: Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Warrior Youngster / Gunjin Shitei), Yuuki Kaji (Noble Youngster / Kizoku Shitei), Takuma Terashima (Merchant Youngster / Shounin Shitei)Three teenage boys from Fuyugoshi Village from three different backgrounds. The three are the frequent students of Lady Knight and Demon Queen in their classes about economics, farming, swordsmanship, etc. In truth, the lessons they are learning are showing them how there's nothing glorious or good about the Human/Demon War but how nasty it is and it's effects on the people and society. All three end up coming around, and playing important roles in the socio-economic change and intrigue that crops up in the wake of the main characters' plans.
- As You Know: They provide a point of view to certain situations according to their backgrounds.
- Big Damn Heroes: Warrior Youngster for Big Sister Maid in Iron Nation.
- Character Development: Merchant Youngster has become quite the Badass Bureaucrat.
- And Noble Youngster also become Double Agent for Young Merchant as well as Blizzard Queen. And he looks good while doing it.
- Warrior Youngster goes from a dumbass glory hound to a cunning tactician who actually knows what war's all about.
- Genre Deconstruction: Every time they say something they think is great and good about the war, their teachers teach them how wrong their beliefs are.
- Naive Newcomers
- Only Sane Man: The Merchant Youngster seems to have comparatively more sense than the other two.
- The Reliable One: When he's promoted to Financial Minister.
- Straw Character: Warrior Youngster believes women shouldn't be warriors, thinks everyone should devote themselves for the war effort no matter the price and thinks starvation doesn't exist and it's that person fault if they're starving. It's no surprise Lady Knight, Demon Queen and Big Sister Maid have something to say about those views.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Much to their teachers frustrations (Demon Queen and Lady Knight), it might take time for the trio to learn to understand why war is bad to the people and economy and let go of their old beliefs.
- Those Three Guys
- Took a Level in Badass: While largely portrayed as idiots early on, once the Three Youngsters graduate from Crimson Scholar's class, they're almost completely different people. Warrior Youngster becomes a master tactician, Noble Youngster becomes a talented diplomat, and Merchant Youngster becomes Winter Nation's Financial Minister.
- Warrior Youngster shows just how well he's been taught, using his tactics to lead Iron Nation's reserve/volunteer army to a decisive victory over a larger and better equipped White Night Nation invasion force utilizing superior tactics. Then takes down Commander in a one-on-one fight while protecting Big Sister Maid.
- Translation Style Choices: Soldier Youngster to Warrior Youngster, although this is a real change, not a choice since Gunjin does not translate to warrior at all.
- War Is Glorious: The Warrior Youngster especially thinks this. Their teachers are trying their best to beat this out of them.