Characters: Everyman HYBRID
We just keep going. We do what we always do, and we truck on.
AKA Vin, Vince, Vinnie, Vinny, etc. Originally the host of the show. At first he doesn't believe in the Slender Man. Vin films compulsively, sometimes to the anger of his friends. The Bag implies he has some relation to, or even is, a young patient of Dr. Corenthal from the '70s who had encounters with a "Man" that may or may not be the Slender Man.
- Agent Scully:
- Creepy Child: Very much so when he was younger, if the Vincent mentioned in The Bag is really him
- Genre Blindness: Sure Vincent. In the episode HALLOWEEN HANGOVER it's such a good idea to loudly mention how the only good thing about recent events is your new relationship with Lexi.
- It's All My Fault: He has this reaction in episode Lexi, blaming himself for getting Lexi involved and making her a target.
- Only Sane Man: To an extent, as he seems to have begun to believe.
- Perma Stubble: Goes between this and a small beard throughout the series.
- Vinnie's beard had a good run, but was tragically lost as of "Consensus".
- The Everyman: See name. (It's actually his stage name for the exercise videos the boys were originally shooting.)
- The Kirk
- Sole Survivor: By late 2012. He sums up his situation pretty bluntly via twitter - "Jeff's gone, Evan's beyond help, and I don't know where Steph is. Probably my last Halloween."
This ain't worth it, man...this ain't worth it.
The series' cameraman. Since the Slender Man began stalking the crew, he's begun appearing more in videos and went on an trip to his old Elementary school after his girlfriend, Jessa, disappeared, and since she and his brother Alex (who is being stalked by the Rake) have been his main motivations. The third Corenthal letter lists a patient named Jeffrey, in addition to Vincent and Evan. In the 11/26 Ustream, Jeff also said that there was a letter about a patient named Jeffrey, similar to the ones already found, although the letter has not yet been seen. Seemingly killed by Evan/HABIT in ":D" by being burnt alive after a prolonged period of torture.
- Defiant to the End: He was quite passive when Habit captured him, until brings up his brother. Of course, Habit explains why exactly it's a bad idea to do that.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: After he came back from his trip, his hair was much shorter.
- Heroic BSOD: Off and on since Jessa disappeared.
- Kick the Dog: Jeff is the one who referred the police to the Damsel as a suspect in Jessa's disappearance. Despite berating from fans he has yet to give an actual reason.
- Killed Off for Real: Possibly.
- Properly Paranoid: Alex thinks his brother is going crazy. Of course, he doesn't know how much Jeff has to deal with.
- The Spock
- Seeker Archetype
- Who Is This Guy Again?: After his haircut, he looks far too much like Alex for some people. Amusingly, he grew his hair out again right after Alex got a buzzcut himself.
I just think the sooner we nut up, the sooner we can take this fucker down. No more running, no more waiting...I wanna kill it.
The nutrition expert. Since Slender Man showed up, he has become much, much
more unstable. Likes knives. Box #3 implies he has some connection with, and may even be, Corenthal's patient HABIT (although the latter assumption would require some sort of Time Travel).
Near the end of 2012, he was completely taken over by HABIT and went on an absolute killing spree, murdering Jeff, Daniel and his own baby, with Steph's fate unclear. Now that he's back in control, an unwanted healing factor is the only thing keeping him from committing suicide.
- Agent Mulder
- Ax-Crazy: Most obviously in the "Slender man" video, with hints in "Ashen Waste."
- Badass: Attacked Slender Man with a baseball bat and lived. And then handled FOUR close encounters with The Rake. The second time had his arm severely mauled. He reacted as though it may have been a bruise. The third time he threw The Rake out of a second-story window. The fourth time, it seems he managed to tear its head right off, but unfortunately that did little to stop it.
- Batter Up
- The Big Guy: Despite being shorter than Vince and Jeff.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Evan is a martial arts instructor, carries a giant bayonet around, is incredibly intense whenever the subject of what to do about Slender Man comes up, and is bold enough to charge Slender Man with a baseball bat on sight. If his normal interaction with his friends doesn't make it obvious that he's this, however, his behavior in "Alex" certainly does, the What the Hell, Hero? he directs at Jeff notwithstanding.
- Crazy-Prepared: In "May & June", it turns out he'd been keeping an "emergency machete" attached to the bottom of Vince's car.
- Crazy Survivalist
- Creepy Child: Much like Vinnie, if he really is the HABIT in Corenthal's notes, then he was definitely this as a kid.
- Death Seeker: As of WAKE UP.
- Demonic Possession: The other theory regarding his relationship with HABIT.
- More or less confirmed with the CYSTW posts, as well as the "OUTSIDE HELP" video.
- Dumb Muscle: Vince describes him as an "RL-troll" because he's hardly ever online. In "Damsel," he seems momentarily confused that Jeff's access key is in keycard form and not an actual car-type key. HABIT refers to him as an "animal".
- Expository Hairstyle Change: In contrast to Jeff and Alex's buzzcuts, Evan goes without a haircut as the series goes on. In an inversion, his longer hair only looks really unkempt while he's wearing his hat, which is usually when he's acting perfectly sane; it looks well-groomed during his Ax-Crazy moments. Except during the non-canon "Slender Man", where he is wearing it and looks appropriately disheveled while going after Vince.
- Played straight later in the series: after he's taken over by HABIT, his hair (which varies in length due to the amount of time between episodes) is always unkempt.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Currently completely controlled by HABIT, and has most likely been forced to witness Habit's brutal murders of both his old friends Jeff and Daniel, and possibly prolonged torture of both Steph and their baby. Let's just say that if the real Evan comes back, to say he won't be in the best mental state would be the understatement of the year.
- Confirmed in "Wake Up". He can remember what HABIT made him do in gory detail. He decides to commit Suicide by Rake, hardly caring if he actually takes it with him. To his frustration, they both survive due to a...
- Healing Factor: In "L'esprit de l'escalier", Evan says that the Rake disemboweled him during their fight. When he lifts his shirt, there's a faint scar along his stomach, but he's otherwise fine. He also says that various other wounds he had on his arm had disappeared. Although another theory is that he underwent a short time-jump restoring him to life, which has happened several times in the series note .
- Knife Nut
- Laughing Mad: Most distinctly when Vinnie cuts open the blood bags in "Joke's Over". Years later, he really goes off the deep end in "l'esprit de l'escalier".
- Leeroy Jenkins: According to HABIT in Evan's body - "Evan, he's just an animal. He just runs in, doesn't care what the fuck's going on. He's an idiot."
- Mr. Fanservice: Take a gander at all the Evan fangirls at the Unfiction forums. Jessie's even worried about them coming after her for hugging him.
- Only Sane Man: While he initially appeared to be losing his mind, he seems to be the most practical and calm out of all of them... most of the time.
- Relationship Upgrade: With Steph.
- Sad Clown
- Stalker with a Crush: Greatly thought to be one for Damsel- he's reading her blog in the Sleep Deprivation video, is seen running behind her and Jessa in one of her videos, and makes a video defending her after Jeff reports her to the police.
- The McCoy
- Tykebomb: Like Nick, he may have been specifically "bred" for strength by HABIT to make him a suitable host.
You guys ready to Slender-shoot?
The crew's fake Slender Man from the early videos; he appeared to have cut and run when the genuine article appeared but it turns out he's still around, occasionally turning up for parties and other group events. Should have run.
- Demoted to Extra
- Killed Off for Real: Strangled by inHABITed Evan.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Went unmentioned for a long time until "Ryan and the seven trials of HABIT", where it turned out he was still around, just not involved much. Surprising considering he's the one who dressed like the Slender Man in the first place.
Full name Jessalyn. Jeff's girlfriend; "Jessa's kind of weird and I love her for it." She went missing soon after she first appeared. "Congratulations Magus!.avi" shows (or at least implies) she's been taken by Slender Man.
When people make a mistake, they generally try to cover it up. Iím no different.
An art student at Princeton, first getting involved with the EMH crew through her friendship with Jessa. However, she's not unaware of a certain tall man. She and Jeff don't really get along; he suspected her of involvement in Jessa's disappearance and reported her to the police, putting her in the mental ward. Her last entry, on the post-queue, reveals her family was killed by the Slender Man and she is the one who burned down her house afterward; she seemingly signed off for the final time at the end.
take it upon themselves to save her, and do so... on the day she would've been released anyway. She has since been living with Evan. HALLOWEEN HANGOVER reveals that she and Evan have become an item, and she is now pregnant with his child. Since Evan was completely taken over by HABIT, she has disappeared.Like Vinny, Evan, and Jeff, she shares a name with one of the children taken in by Dr. Corenthal in the 70s.
- Ascended Fanon: As you can respond to her blog and chat with her a bit, the Fan Nickname "Damsel" was very quickly acknowledged and is pretty much considered canon by a lot of the fanbase. She likes it.
- Distressed Damsel: Despite the nickname, she doesn't really fit this trope until she's put in the mental ward. She's out again thanks to the boys, not that it was necessary...
- Fate Worse Than Death : Strongly implied in "Next"
- inHABITed Evan: I know you want to die. But you're not going to, not yet. Not until you hear her break.
- Fan Nickname: Dubbed by fans as "Damsel," short for "damsel in distress," since most of her blog entries alluded to a force that was persecuting her, and to a secret past. See Ascended Fanon.
- My Parents Are Dead
- Relationship Upgrade: With Evan.
- Unwanted Rescue: "I would be fucking stoked if they weren't releasing me today." Of course, Slender Man caused an explosion in her room five minutes later, so maybe she changed her mind.
Don't even know what to do. Can't tell anybody...I mean, this thing is much worse than some skinny stick.
Jeff's younger brother. First made cameos in "Day In The Life" and "Jeff", he seemed to be unrelated to the plot until his Youtube account was discovered. Was dealing with the Rake living in his closet. It seemed to have left Alex alone for a while only to move into his shed, sneaking into his room at night to whisper things to him. Even worse, Alex is now missing and presumed dead.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: His beloved Sparky.
- RIP Sparky as of "One step forward, two steps back"...
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Very similar to his brother's.
- I Reject Your Reality: Dealt with the deaths of his parents and dog by completely refusing to even process that they've passed on; note moments such as talking to recordings of his mom like they're having a conversation and interacting with a sock puppet as if it's Sparky. If Alex isn't spiraling into insanity then he's certainly going through a very unhealthy grieving process, as observed by Vinnie.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: "Troll Catch" has him initially being a bit of a Jerkass, trying to lighten the mood with Jeff in pretty much the worse way possible, but PMs with him have shown that he really does care about his brother and he genuinely seems like a good guy.
- Killed Off for Real: Disappears when the Slender Man attacks he and Vinny in "Consensus." Seemingly confirmed in the description for "MOVING IN," where HABIT refers to Jeff as "THE ONE WITH THE DEAD BROTHER."
- Name's the Same: No, not that Alex. Not that "J" either.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Possibly.
- Sanity Slippage: Alex has had a difficult time coping with the deaths of those around him.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Very similar to Jeff.
- Too Dumb to Live: Between refusing to tell anyone about the Rake and leaping headlong into HABIT's game, Alex seemed raring to die in mysterious supernatural circumstances until his fellow teammates voted him out. Given that Alex is just a step short of complete lunacy though, perhaps this behavior is somewhat understanadable.
You could always wait in the car, that always ends up well, right?
Nooo, fuck no.
A girl first spotted on the U Stream
who joined the guys when they went to Lambertville in "Cops Checked, No Body". Dr. Corenthal is her great-uncle. She and Evan used to date, and are still friends. In "Jim Thorpe", the boys go to visit her and find her murdered in her home by the Rake.
In all my years of practice, I have never seen a utensil buried so deep into a human body.
First mentioned in "-.", Doctor Corenthal worked at Fairmount Children's Home decades ago. The reports found in the Bags mention four of his patients, who share the names of the main characters
: his most worrying patient by far was a boy named Evan
who would only answer to the nickname "HABIT" and was generally a danger to everyone around him. Corenthal supposedly killed himself in 2005. Oh, and he is or was Jessie's great-uncle.
In the 1990s, Dr. Corenthal also treated Milo, the cousin of Noah from Tribe Twelve
. As of "The Property" He is Back... in some unknown yet utterly badass capacity
- Apocalyptic Log: His notes on "HABIT"
- Badass: He is actively fighting Slendy, the Rake and Habit, seemingly on their own eldritch turf, and rescues Vinnie from the Slender Man in the "Property" video with stunning ease. Hopefully, it really is him.
- Big Damn Heroes: pulls one of these on Vinnie in "The Property"
- Demonic Possession: Possibly. His mannerisms in "The Property" are similar to what we've seen from an inHABITed Evan, and contrast with his rather sophisticated and flowery writing from the letters, leading many people to believe that HABIT has possessed him and is using his form to trick Vinny in some way.
- Fate Worse Than Death: "The good doctor is not so lucky as to be dead. Just dealing with some old HABITs."
- He's Just Hiding: in-universe. But we don't know where yet.
- In the "Property" video, it seems he is hiding in his own little dimension sanctuary and purposely hunting down and fighting the Rake, Habit, and the Slender Man, and he briefly takes Vinnie there after rescuing him from a Slender attack
- Terrible Ticking: After working with "HABIT", the lyric "rabbit or habit" began to plague him—he even heard it in his sleep. This has led to fan jokes about him being so hip he liked Animal Collective decades before they existed.
Take solace in the rain, my children. It only means I'm near.
The mainstay and central character of the mythos, the crew originally created a fake Slender Man to add some spice to the show - only for the real one to show up. What "he" wants is as unclear as ever, but he's abducted Jessalyn
and is doing everything he can to mess with the HYBRID crew's heads.
The Rake / "The feral Other"
First spotted in "Cops Checked, No Body", the entity from this
well-known creepypasta: a pale, naked, savage creature that scuttles around on all fours and smells like raw sewage. It was living in the wall behind Alex's closet, and made its presence very clear, though Jeff and Evan drove it out. It disappeared, only to reappear months later in Jeff and Alex's shed, where it killed Alex's dog Sparky. The Rake appeared most recently in "Jim Thorpe", where it murdered Jessie and attacked Vin and Evan.
Some consider it the (still-evil
) opposite to the Slender Man, comparing its feral, openly violent nature to Slendy's preference for silently messing with his victims' minds.
- Beast Man: A really creepy variant; he's some sort of freakish, furless dog-man.
- Canon Immigrant
- Cross Through: The letter from the original Rake story is replied to in Everyman HYBRID
- The Dragon: The dominant theory is that he's HABIT's enforcer.
- Humanoid Abomination: Along with being a freaky dog-man, he also seems have some of the same powers as Slendy.
- Leitmotif: Not a single piece of music, but if you hear a song by The Decemberists playing in a video, expect the Rake to show up at some point. The video it first appeared in featured, fittingly, "The Rake's Song".
- Laser-Guided Karma: Shortly after he killed Jessica, he suffered Evan's wrath. The Rake lived but still lost that fight.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Evan tore its head off, but both the head and the body continued to attack and eviscerate Evan.
- The Unintelligible: Assuming he's not speaking gibberish in "Alex" then he's very hard to understand. The consensus seems to be "I am the Rake."
Sing along, rabbits.
A mysterious being whose presence has become increasingly felt as the series has gone on. Was thought to be the Rake, but now highly implied to be either a Split Personality of Evan or a disembodied spirit that sometimes possesses him.
Has an email for registering for vague "trials", the Seven Trials of HABIT, and a Twitter
account for actually outlining the trials. Appears to be the one responsible for the Morse Code videos as well as the other odd edits and cutaways in the main videos.
According to Can You See the Words
, HABIT can possess multiple people at once and has been doing so for over a century. Quite a few of history's most infamous nutcases were just HABIT having some fun in someone else's body. He apparently orchestrated the births of both Evan and his friend Nick so they'd be suitable hosts. He had Nick attack Evan as a trial, and Evan killed Nick.
After months of build-up, he appears to have wrested total control of Evan's body. The series has now taken its darkest turn yet, with Jeff getting an especially painful death.
- And I Must Scream: The people he possesses are fully aware of everything he does while in control of their bodies. This is almost certainly deliberate on his part.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: HABIT has tortured, murdered, raped (both physically and mentally), eaten people and...sent Noah Maxwell a letter written in Comic Sans with a Christmas border (Noah is Jewish).
- Asexual: According to the actor that portrays him, HABIT does not have sexual urges. This arguably makes some of his behavior (such as the aforementioned rapes and some of his more crude humor) all the more disturbing.
- Ax-Crazy: Made of this (perhaps literally). Not only does he just love gruesome death, he also has a thing for rabbits. And the Seven Trials are downright bizarre, seeming only to exist so HABIT can systematically kill people or manipulate them into choosing his victims for him, though at the moment he's only killed rabbits who have broken the rules, rather than the losers.
- Battle Theme Music: A big, big fan of this. Took out a SWAT Team to the dulcet tones of "Superbeast", and in Evan's body he shanked and captured Jeff to the Scissor Sisters' "I Can't Decide"
- Big Bad: Shaping up to be the true Big Bad of the series, rather than Slender Man. Or at least trying to upstage him.
- Black Comedy: Oh God.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY RYANS I GO THROUGH IN A DAY?
- Demonic Possession: He's either doing this to Evan, or he's a Split Personality. As of his Can You See the Words entries, it's almost certainly the former. He's possessed plenty of other people. He can even possess multiple people at once. Once he possessed an entire SWAT Team and had them kill themselves and each other. Also he used the guy who he had already been possessing to get in a few swings with an axe.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Deliberately invoked.
- Eats Babies: Evan recalls that while possessed by HABIT, he ate his and Steph's baby. Knowing HABIT, there's a distinct possibility that the only reason he did it was just to torture Evan.
- Enemy Mine: With Firebrand of the Collective, who considers him a "loathsome entity" yet worked with him in order to free himself from Slender Man's control. Also currently seems to have this with Vinny.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: In the episode Lexi he tells Vincent that there's something good in people like him that things like HABIT can't mess around with.
- Expy: Rather similar to totheark, a fact not lost on the characters. He is, however, much more coherent and unambiguously villainous.
- It's also becoming evident that he's a powerful, possessing force, rather than just a crazy human. Perhaps he is even more similar to BOB from Twin Peaks.
- Perhaps both he and Slendy are from the Black Lodge, which would make Slendy like The Giant or some such.
- Fan Nickname: Becoming possessed by him is known as "inHABITation".
- Faux Affably Evil: Enjoy's adding laugh tracks to his own edited videos, as well as various music by Frank Sinatra. He also has a somewhat jolly and witty facade whilst gleefully torturing people to death and crushing all of their hopes.
- Historical Rap Sheet: Josef Mengele, Jack the Ripper, and various other historic serial killers are among his list of possessed victims.
- Immune to Bullets: In one of Habit's posts on Can You See the Words (the one about the little girl), he is shot by police multiple times, and though they do cause him to bleed, he doesn't seem to suffer any actual damage.
- Knife Nut: A trait he shares with his host. Of course, since Evan already had so many knives lying around, maybe he's just using what he has to work with.
- Large Ham: Very much so once he actually gets camera time. In ":D" he seems to be channelling The Dark Knight's Joker.
- Laughably Evil: Noah describes him this way.
Noah: He's not just evil, he's like... he's like "silly evil"... and that's disturbing as shit.
- Leitmotif: "Who Could Win A Rabbit" by Animal Collective.
- He also seems to be a big fan of Frank Sinatra. Hell, he might have even been Frank Sinatra.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:
YOU ARE ALL IN THE SAME. SINKING. VESSEL.
DO. NOT. FUCK. WITH. ME.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Slender Man's Blue.
- Serial Killer: He has been many serial killers throughout history, including Ed Gein, Albert Fish, and even Jack the Ripper.
- Split Personality: Shows signs of being this to Evan. We do know that at the very least his true name is Evan, according to Dr. Corenthal's papers.
- Supernatural Is Purple/Purple Is Powerful: A powerful, possessing entity associated with the colour purple.
- Super Strength
- The Many Deaths of You: He likes to kill people in creative ways. His idea of punishing someone isn't killing them (because he'll do that anyway), but not making their death very creative.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Not just any Nazi but Josef Mengele himself. "MARC WAS A GOOD KID" indeed.
- Troll: Some of the things he says and does are really just for no other reason than to piss people off.
- Insane Troll Logic: His reasoning on why Noah should listen him during the second crossover:
"Um...because you're in my house, and you're my guest, and I'm asking you to do it. So if you could just get down to doing it."
- Voice of the Legion: Has started speaking in this occasionally ever since "A summoning", usually accompanied by purple distortion.