- And You Thought It Would Fail: A vast majority of people were convinced that a sequel to an already contested video game movie was going to stink. The film surpassed most expectations, regarded not only as a vast improvement over its predecessor, but also managing to dethrone fan favorite Detective Pikachu as the highest rated video game movie. It's another story financially, however....
- Author's Saving Throw: The first movie received some criticism for having a message that can easily be constructed as "immigration equals invasion and they're going to steal your stuff and eat your kids". By contrast, this sequel shows the pigs and birds working together, and shows the hatchlings and the piglets becoming friends. And also, by the end of the movie, birds and pigs are shown coexisting peacefully.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Chuck, Silver and Bomb performing an opera piece during their descent in the pig's submarine. The scene comes out of nowhere and is not mentioned again afterwards, and seems to only be in the film so that Josh Gad and Rachel Bloom can display their well-renowned singing talent.
- Contested Sequel: While critics and general audiences saw the film as a notable improvement over its predecessor, the franchise's main fanbase has been more divided. While the second film is commonly lauded for having funnier jokes and a more ambitious, unpredictable story than it's more safe and generic predecessor, a good number of fans felt that the film deviated too much from the source material note and with the exception of Red, most of the first film's cast were dumbed down and not focused on in favour of the new characters. The revelation in Mighty Eagle's backstory that he left his fiancée at the altar is particularly divisive.
- Jerkass Woobie: Zeta. She openly admits that her plan to level Pig and Bird Islands is all about her, but given how difficult living on the frozen wasteland Eagle Island is, it's hard to to not at least partially sympathize with her. The scene which shows her being left at the altar by Mighty Eagle, looking close to tears only adds to this.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Angry Birds: Tropical Freeze" is starting to pick up steam due to the similarities between the movie and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, primarily their ice motifs.
- With its current 73% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a lot of moviegoers had a field day that the sequel to the heavily divisive Angry Birds Movie would end up becoming the highest rated video game movie of all time. It appears so as it manages to surpass the 68% rating of Detective Pikachu!
- "When they throw in the guac for free." Explanation
- "Angry Birds X: We've discovered the (X + 1)th island." Explanation
- Moe: Just like the hatchlings, the piglets are downright sweet.
- Surprisingly Improved Sequel: While the first film received a more middling reception, with criticism aimed at it's generic script and humour, the sequel was seen by many as surpassing it in these merits. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a solid 73% rating compared to the 44% of its predecessor.
- Win the Crowd: Many people who didn't think Angry Birds deserved to have movies were cautiously optimistic when Thurop Van Orman (of The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack fame) was attached as director. The revelation that the birds and pigs would work together against a common threat was also well-received as completely new ground for the franchise. Upon release, the film was lauded as a notable improvement over its predecessor.
YMMV / The Angry Birds Movie 2