Genius Genie is a Canadian animated series aimed at preschoolers. Created by the independent Montreal-based animation studio ToonDraw and distributed by MarbleMedia, the series airs on CBC and aims to teach children problem-solving skills.
The series is set around around a pond in a forest inhabited by many different animals. The most famous denizen of these woods however is a blue elephant genie who just loves to help the animals solve their everyday problems. Unfortunately, Genie's unique brand of magic tends to exacerbate the problem at hand! The good news however is that always beside Genie are three children - twin 6-year-old ducklings named Lili and Leo, as well as their friend, a 6-year-old rabbit named Penelope. These kids are always happy to help Genie fix his mishaps using teamwork, ingenuity, and creative problem-solving.
Every episode is composed of 5 four-minute shorts.
- Alliterative Title
- An Aesop: The importance of certain problem-solving skills and traits like fully understanding the issue at hand, using common sense, thinking outside the box, and never giving up are the main theme of the series.
- Arboreal Abode: Most of the characters live in a willow tree that acts as a three-story apartment. Lili, Leo, and Daddy Deary live on the first floor; Mr. John and Mr. Jack live on the second; and Mrs. Hoo lives on the third.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Mrs. Hoo has ADD, so she must constantly jot down notes to remind herself to do things.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Despite being the same age as Lili and Leo, Penelope is written as this, being the most naïve of the group and having a very childlike way of seeing things compared to the others.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: The child characters are all fully dressed, but lack shoes.
- Big Fun: Genie is a rotund blue elephant with an enthusiastic and positive attitude who always tries his best to help others - even if he isn't always good at it!
- Catchphrase: Genie always says "You have a problem? I have the solution!" when summoned.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Lili and Leo frequently engage in this, with one of them usually then remarking "That's exactly what I was going to say."
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: The adult characters (with the exception of Genie) are all of the "no pants" variety.
- Interspecies Adoption: Lili and Leo are ducks whose father Daddy Deary is a raccoon.
- Odd Couple: Mr. John and Mr. Jack have opposing personalities, with the former being cynical and reserved and the latter being cheerful and outgoing.
- Our Genies Are Different: Genie is an anthropomorphic blue elephant who lives in a lamp in a pond and is summoned by simply uttering the word "problem". Rather than granting wishes, he uses his magic to try and solve problems for others, although he often misunderstands the problem and gives silly or impractical solutions as a result.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Lili and Leo. Lili is the impulsive and quick-acting one, while Leo is the more thoughtful of the two.
- Primary-Color Champion: Genie is blue and wears red.
- World of Funny Animals: All the characters are different types of forest animals, while Genie himself is an elephant.