Billy is a British animated series by Vincent James and produced by Fat City Films and The Little Entertainment Company Ltd. It was made from 1998 to 1999 and had at least 26 episodes. It aired on Tiny Pop up until the early 2010's and it aired on Nick Jr. in the early 2000's; after reruns ended, the show fell into rarity and obscurity.
On the outside, Billy is an average, ordinary young kid. But on the inside, Billy has a wild imagination. Each episode is about one of Billy's exciting, adventurous daydreams.
Billy provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: In the English version, the episodes titles don't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the episodes themselves, so you have to consult an external resource to find the titles.
- Amazing Technicolor World: Let's look at Billy's room◊. Blue walls, green and violet cabinets, a violet door, a polka-dotted bed sheet and lamp... His dreams can be just as colorful too.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:
- In the opening, Billy looks at the audience and smiles.
- In the credits, Billy looks right at the viewer and waves goodbye.
- Canine Companion: Billy has a pet dog who often accompanies him in his imaginative adventures.
- Christmas Episode: "Billy and the Christmas Tree" is about Billy imagining he's tiny enough to walk around in a Christmas tree.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: In one version, the episode titles usually begin with Billy's name followed by a description of what Billy does in that episode.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: In "Billy and the Christmas Tree", Billy imagines he's so tiny that he can walk around on the branches of a Christmas tree.
- Instrumental Theme Tune: The original version of the theme has no lyrics.
- Iris Out: The credits end with Billy waving at the audience and having an iris close on him.
- Kid Detective: In one episode, young Billy imagines what it's like being a detective.
- Kid Hero: Billy's just an ordinary kid, but in his daydreams, he's pretty heroic. One episode has him become a child Superhero and save the day.
- Mr. Imagination: Billy is a boy who lives an ordinary life but goes on wild adventures in his daydreams. The bulk of each episode is spent in his imagination.
- One-Word Title: Billy is one word, which makes it all the more difficult to research this show.
- Protagonist Title: Billy. A common name at that, making it hard to search for this show online.
- Quarter Hour Short: Episodes are around 10 minutes long.
- Shout-Out: In one episode, Billy imagines being a secret agent. The name Agent 007 is directly mentioned.
- Spell My Name with an "S": At least applies to the Croatian version. It's spelled Billy on the front of the DVD and in the show itself, but it's spelled Bili on the back of the DVD?
- Superhero: In one episode, Billy imagines being a superhero and saving the day.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: In one episode, Billy imagines being a superhero. Billy has a cape and flies through the sky.