Quasi Cake is a collection of manga-like webcomics written and drawn by one Pai. The site's name comes from its gag-a-day comic of the same name, which is about a cat-girl named Mayple, her kitsune brother Zero and their friend Emella, and all their crazy shenanigans.
The second webcomic hosted on the site is named Looking for a Title (that is its actual title; it's not a placeholder), which is a Tokyo Mew Mew doujinshi, featuring Aoyama Mana, Ichigo's daughter. It is described as "Tokyo Mew Mew but tougher", but it still has plenty of light-hearted moments.
The artist is currently planning two other doujinishis: Ace Attorney and Tales of Symphonia, neither of which will probably feature many (if any at all) characters from its source material (very justified in the case of Elves of Sylvarant, as it takes place thousands of years before the game does).
Quasi Cake provides exanples of...
- All Just a Dream: Bizarre dreams apparently run in Mayple and Zero's family.
- Animated Adaptation: One is being planned for Quasi Cake as the artist experiments with doing animation.
- Animesque: It even reads right to left.
- Art Evolution: Lampshaded and then inverted in a strip. "Who am I and what have I done with my art ability?!"
- Art Shift: A temporary one when the artist apparently couldn't use her tablet and had to hand-draw and scan in new pages instead. While you can tell it's the same artist, there are a few differences in shading style.
- Author Avatar: Pai, the artist, appears in the comic a few times, occasionally as a result of one of the characters breaking the fourth wall and addressing her. But even though she uses a picture of Mayple as an avatar for site updates, there is a clear distinction between her and the character Mayple.
- Bad Liar: Everyone seems to want to lie about their math grades and does so very, very poorly. Subverted in that it ''always'' works.
- Bishie Sparkle: Zero spends a lot of his time trying to obtain bishie sparkles, usually with humorous results.
- Bishounen: Even if he doesn't sparkle, Zero qualifies as this.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Zero rants about Pai's other webcomic.
- Cat Girl: Mayple. It apparently comes with its own set of problems.
- Cloudcuckoolander: All the characters show elements of this, but Mayple definitely takes the cake.
- Deadpan Snarker: Zero, when he's not flailing around about not having bishie sparkles or talking about how amazing he is. The titles for the individual strips are often pretty sarcastic, too.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Mayple just can't do it.
- Hammerspace: Zero pulls a net out of nowhere. Lampshaded by the strip's title.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Zero; the cast page describes him as arrogant but goes on to say that he has a soft spot for his sister.
- Kubrick Stare: Chiwacat, Emella's creepy cat... chihuahua... thing.
- Lethal Chef: Mayple's pretty close, though it's more that she's so pathetically inept at doing basic things like turning on an oven.
- My Nayme Is: Mayple.
- Only One Name: Subverted the characters are never called by their surnames in the actual strip, but the info page gives their last names.
- Only Sane Man: In a cast full of eccentric characters, Zero is probably the closest to this and usually serves this role in gags (except where bishie sparkles are concerned).
- Reverse Psychology: Emella unintentionally uses it on Mayple.
- Running Gag: Zero's quest to get bishie sparkles.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Le gasp!
- Schedule Slip: The comic settled into a regular schedule after a few weeks, and it's kept up with the schedule since. The site updates, on the other hand, would lead people to think that the comic hasn't been updated since November.
- Shout-Out: Happens every few strips or so, such as to Axis Powers Hetalia or Dragon Quest.
- Ship Tease: Played for Laughs since these moments are always subverted in some way by the fourth panel.
- Shipper on Deck: Mayple herself. Always.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Zero. His reasons for liking winter pretty much spell it out.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: What happens when Mayple and Emella put on fake mustaches. Zero mocks them for it.