Zoo Race is a Christian-themed racing game where the animals race against one another. It was released independently in 2007 on the developers' own website, and is freely available for download.
In it, a man named Reuben is reading about Noah's Ark, when a librarian makes fun of him for it. For reasons unknown, both they and others are transformed into animals, and pitted in a foot race. Hilariously bad voice acting, graphics, gameplay, and music ensue.
Tropes present in Zoo Race:
- Alliterative Name: The names of all the animals.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Based on Reuben's speech and his thought pattern, as well as his Manchild tendencies, he appears to be somewhere on the autism spectrum. Whether this was intentional or just bad writing and voice acting is left in the air.
- Anachronism Stew: It's supposed to take place right after Noah's ark was opened. There are fully-populated cities, exploding barrels, hot air balloons, and Egyptian tombs. Then there's a NASA Space Shuttle on the moon, complete with solid rocket boosters and fuel tank. Note that the Space Shuttle is not designed to land on the moon, and that the Solid Rocket Boosters and Fuel Tank are jettisoned on launch, although that is well down the list of things that you should be concerned about, accuracy-wise.
- Animorphism: People get turned into animals in the intro.
- Artistic License Physics: Leaping makes you go faster than running, no matter which animal you choose.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: All of the animals can breathe perfectly fine on the Moon.
- Bears Are Bad News: Averted with Bethany the Bear.
- Dance Party Ending: Your reward after completing a course.
- Exploding Barrels: These get thrown downhill at some courses.
- The Great Flood: Every level has water, and the animals come straight from Noah's ark to the starting line.
- Human Cannonball: In one of the courses, animals are shot out from a cannon.
- Nice Hat: Some of the animals have these.
- Plot Tailored to the Party: Swimming and strength sections are obligatory, and sometimes out of place, in every track.
- Rocket Ride: In one of the courses, this happens so the animal can conclude the race in the moon.
- Schizo Tech: There's a lot of modern technology mixed with the ancient setting. See Anachronism Stew.