Hellboy: The Science of Evil is a 2008 action-adventure video game based on the Hellboy franchise, released for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, and Xbox 360. It featured the voice talents of Ron Perlman, Selma Blair and Doug Jones returning from their portrayals in the Hellboy duology.
The game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Herman von Klempt now has a body in this game. Retroactively averted that his body is robotic.
- Anachronic Order: The beginning, middle and end of the game takes place years after certain events played in the game.
- Big Bad: Herman von Klempt.
- Co-Op Multiplayer: The game has online and offline co-op from two players with the second player playing as either Abe Sapien or Liz Sherman.
- The End... Or Is It?: Hellboy follows the witch's trail after defeating Herman von Klempt.
- Forest Ranger: The demons that Hellboy encounters in Japan protect the forest.
- Heart Container: Hellboy collects rubble to increase his health meter.
- Killer Gorilla: Hellboy encounters these in Japan.
- One to Million to One: The witch changes from a swarm of crows to her witch form.
- Oni: Hellboy encounters these in the Japanese level.
- Robotic Reveal: Herman von Klempt is actually a robot by the end of the game, with his head in a jar as in the comics.
- Super Mode: Hellboy can start up "Hellmode", where his right hand of doom is powered up.
- Unexplained Recovery: We don't know how the witch got revived in the end.
- Truer to the Text: Even though it has similarities to the first film, the characters' designs are closer to the comics.