Friday Night Funkin' Neo
is a Friday Night Funkin' Game Mod
created by JellyFish and released in 2021. It features a more futuristic aesthetic and songs that are based on the ones in the original, but are ultimately quite a bit different. It can be found on Gamebanana
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptational Jerkass: Skid and Pump, who are quite egotistical rappers that are quick to insult Boyfriend in this mod's lore.
- Adaptational Modesty:
- Girlfriend forgoes her dress for a top and jean shorts.
- Mommy Mearest forgoes her dress for a shirt and pants.
- Adaptational Nice Guy: Daddy Dearest and Mommy Mearest aren't as antagonistic towards Boyfriend as they are in the original Friday Night Funkin'. Heck, they don't object to him dating their daughter. That said, they still insult Boyfriend by calling him "Glowsdick".
- Adaptational Villainy: CesarFever, Whitty, and to an extent, Pico due to working with Monster. Then again, their motives remain a mystery.
- Adapted Out: Both of Monster's songs from the original Friday Night Funkin', "Monster" and "Winter Horrorland", replaced with "Illusion" and "Hallucination" respectively.
- Ambiguously Evil: Monster is this. He claims that he wants to protect Boyfriend, telling him that the city is not what it seems, but everytime he's present, everyone flees and the surroundings take on a more twisted look.
- Body Horror: The entire left half of Monster's body, face included, is corrupted, being completely black with glowing neon pink eyes, sharp claws, and spikes. His head is also split in two, and barely keeping itself together, as seen during his poses.
- Catchphrase: Neo Monster has "Why
". It was his first words in the 3.0 trailer, the first words of "Illusion", and the what he says when Boyfriend falls unconscious after "Eggnog".
- The Cameo: Several characters are present at the party that serves as the setting of Week 5, namely Neo versions of Hex, Ayana, Garcello (Who coincidentally is set to get his own week in the future), Hatsune Miku, Matt, B3 Boyfriend and Soft Boyfriend.
- Cliffhanger: Week 5 ends with Boyfriend passing out and getting carried away by Monster's gang, who place him in a simulation, setting up the upcoming Week 6.
- Couch Gag: Like the original, there are many lines that show up at random before the title screen. Said phrases can be found on the Quotes page.
- Gangbangers: Monster leads one consisting of Tankman, Pico, Whitty and CesarFever.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: The selectable difficulties are Chill (Easy), Basic (Normal), and Neo (Hard).
- In Name Only: While many of the songs sound completely different from the original, the most notorious examples are "Cocoa" and "Eggnog", especially considering Week 5 in this mod takes place at a rooftop party instead of a mall, and it's not even Christmastime during said rooftop party.
- Meaningful Background Event: Monster's gang can be seen way in the background during "Cocoa" and "Eggnog", serving as Foreshadowing for the cutscene that plays upon completion.
- Neon City: The city is covered in neon and is meant to look more futuristic than the original.
- The Quiet One: Cesar is the least talkative of Monster's gang, with his only line of dialogue being a hard to hear "Yeah, sure" in the cutscene after "Hallucination".
- Rooftop Confrontation: Instead of a speeding limo, Week Four has you fight Mommy Mearest on top of a jet plane.
- Shout-Out: The illusionary world created by Monster is a version of Neo City destroyed by the corruption.
- The Unfought: Despite him being part of Monster's gang, there are no plans for a full week against Whitty, due to his creator leaving the FNF community and the subsequent deletion of the Vs. Whitty mod.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: Daddy Dearest himself is harder to beat, which goes to show how this mod is more challenging than the original. Even "Bopeebo" has four times as many notes at a faster pace.