Ten or twelve minor celebs are sent to a camp in the Australian jungle, constantly filmed and kept short of food. They have to participate in bushtucker trials to win better food for the camp. Viewers vote for their favourites to stay in the camp, with the last person remaining being crowned monarch of the jungle. Broadcast nightly over three weeks, with a mixture of live footage and recorded activity from the previous 24 hours.
Chiefly famous for the bushtucker trials, which sometimes (as the name suggests) consist of eating items as revolting as the producers can devise (kangaroo anus, raw sheep eyes, various insects, live worms), and sometimes of trying to collect items while blindfolded/ with your mouth/ underwater/ from inside a box of snakes etc- usually while having gunge or cockroaches dropped on your head or biting ants climbing up your legs. Expect screams, tears and vomiting. The celebrities can avoid doing a trial, or back out partway through, by using the power of title drops- but the food earned for camp is forfeited.
There are various other ways to gain food or treats for the camp, which are varied from season to season. In 2011, there was a spoof game show, a giant game of Jenga with food items written on the blocks to be removed, and two of the celebrities had to play tricks on the others while not being caught.
Ant and Dec's banter is a major strength of the show. They broadcast live from a treetop studio above the camp to introduce the filmed footage of camp life. They also break the news of evictions to the celebrities and interview the leavers,, and they tell the celebrities which one will be participating in the trials and stay with the chosen celeb during the trial, commentating.
The show has a live-action maze based on it in Thorpe Park, where guests compete for the star in several trials inspired by the show. There's no crocodile penis eating, thankfully.
Tropes used on the show
- Audience Participation: Viewers vote for who goes through the bush-tucker trials. This often ends up quite sadistic, as the public votes for whoever they think would hate the trial and suffer the most, with the side-effect of depriving the rest of camp of food when they do badly.
- Celebrity Edition: Though most of the "celebrities" featured in the American and British versions were obscure c-list stars and reality show contestants who stopped being remembered years ago.
- Confession Cam: The Bush Telegraph room.
- Covered in Gunge: Yeah, a bit sometimes.
- Didn't Think This Through: You'd be surprised by how many celebrities have joined the show by merely misunderstanding the concept. Gillian McKeith was screaming the whole time and frozen with fear and Gemma Collins quitted after a few days. She was so scared she didn't take the helicopter. Harry Redknapp genuinely believed that the food withdrawal was just part of the act and the celebrities would be fed warm food off camera.
- Eat That: Oh, God. Baby mouse fritters, anyone?
- Elimination Catchphrase: You are a celebrity. Get yourself out of here.
- Non-Gameplay Elimination: Katie Price quit after being chosen for seven bushtucker trials in a row. Freddie Starr was pulled out after an allergic reaction in a bush-tucker trial. In the 2014 series Craig Charles left when his older brother died of a heart attack while he was doing it.
- Running Gag: For the 2017 series, Dec mocking Dennis Wise's height.
- Something Completely Different: For the 2018 series, Ant was replaced by Holly Willoughby due to Ant being in rehab for drug addiction.
- Title Drop: It`s how you get out of the Bushtucker Trials.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Due to an incident in 2012, where celebrity chef Gino D'Acampo hunted a rat to feed the camp. The losing camp is now fed rice and beans, instead of going hungry for the night.
- Voted Off the Island: At the start of the series, the public vote on who should undergo trials. A week in, this switches to voting to keep their favourites in camp. The phone voting pays for the show.
- Waterfall Shower: Most famously with Mylene Klass, but many a young starlet will take a shower in a bikini at some point,