Coroner is a Canadian drama television series based on the Jenny Cooper series of novels by M. R. Hall and developed by Morwyn Brebner. The series stars Serinda Swan as Jenny Cooper, a recently-widowed Toronto coroner who investigates suspicious deaths. The series premiered on CBC in January 2019, and attracted 1 million viewers per episode throughout the first season. The series was subsequently renewed for a second season.
Coroner contains examples of:
- Cool House: Liam resides in a treehouse in the woods.
- The Coroner: The titular character.
- The Coroner Doth Protest Too Much: Most of the deaths in the show revolve around not being what they might seem.
- Dirty Cop: "Confetti Heart" deals with a murder covered up by three of these.
- D.I.Y. Disaster: Jenny's new house.
- The Gambling Addict: Jenny only finds out her husband was one of these after his death.
- Handy Man: Liam. Seemingly more as a means of occupying his time, claiming that his monthly check from the Canadian Armed Forces is already enough to live on.
- Important Haircut: Matteo's theory on why Jenny's appearance changed after her husband's death.
- Lockdown: The penultimate episode of Season One, due to a radiation leak.
- One-Shot Character: Averted; unlike most procedural dramas, many characters from previous episodes make frequent appearances throughout the season.
- Struggling Single Mother: Jenny Cooper, the series kicking off six months after her husband's untimely death.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: At the end of the first season, Jenny uncovers a repressed childhood memory of accidentally killing her sister.