Continued from "Infiltration"
Story by Christopher Yost & Joshua Fine
At the signal from their Queen, Skrull agents strategically placed all over the world carry out their sinister plan. Scientist Supreme Lyle Getz takes advantage of an AIM plan to take over an array of satellites covering the entire world, to distribute a frequency that will kill all humans on the planet. Agent Quartermain takes control of the Helicarrier while Gyrich does the same for SWORD facilities in orbit. The Invisible Woman Skrull takes over the Baxter Building to neutralize the Fantastic Four and finally, the Cap plants bombs all over the Avengers Mansion to disable it. In one fell swoop all of Earth's best defenses are taken down and the Skrulls are ready to assume control. Fortunately, humanity is only down, not out. S.H.I.E.L.D. and SWORD are both intact thanks to the efforts of Sidrin and a well-placed Life Model Decoy.
After many, many episodes of build-up, Queen Veranke finally gets her allotted villain gloating time at Iron Man and Nick Fury's expense before Maria Hill bursts onto the scene and saves them all. That's the good news. The bad news is that without Iron Man's device they will never be able to expose the Skrulls to the rest of the world and the only way to save him is to take out and reboot the Arc Reactor powering his heart. The remaining Avengers rush to respond to the crisis in Washington DC but are set upon by a group of Skrulls that can manifest superpowers from multiple heroes and villains ("Super Skrulls", if you will). The heroes are subdued and forced to witness as Captain America broadcasts a speech to the entire world urging humanity to submit to the Skrulls.
At just that moment, the real Captain America returns followed closely by Iron Man, who uses his perfected device to force the assembled Skrulls back into their true form. The world sees them all for what they really are and an all-out battle ensues. With the Super Skrulls on the field it seems that the Avengers will still not be able to win but the odds are evened by the return of Thor. Queen Veranke decides that things are not going her way and orders the Getz Skrull to activate their final contingency. The satellite array starts broadcasting its signal and threatens to kill every human on the planet. Thor is unaffected due to his Asgardian physiology and is able to destroy the satellites, sealing the Skrulls' defeat.
The invasion is repelled with the help of Iron Man's detection technology. It will be a long time but Earth will eventually recover. Mostly. Some wounds will be a lot harder to heal.
- Alien Invasion: The episode features the Skrulls invading Earth.
- All Your Powers Combined: Many different combinations between other heroes and villains make up the Super Skrull army, including Abomination/Whirlwind/Griffin, Spider-Man/Black Panther/Iron Fist, Grim Reaper/King Cobra, Giant-Man/Crimson Dynamo, and an X-Men powered one with Wolverine/Cyclops/Nightcrawler/Colossus. Kl'rt is also back.
- Because Destiny Says So: To the bitter end, Veranke insists that prophecies promised Earth to the Skrulls.
- Big Damn Heroes: Veranke announcing the heroes will be crushed by the assembled Super Skrulls is followed by a sudden flash of lightning.Thor: Is that so, creature? We shall see. Avengers, assemble!
- Bittersweet Ending: The world is saved from the Skrull invasion, but a lot of damage has been wreaked and the world thinks Cap collaborated with them.Nick Fury: Yeah, we won, but not without paying a price.
Thor: The Skrulls turned you against each other. Broken bones, destroyed buildings — these things are easily repaired. But broken friendships, broken trust — wounds such as these take much longer to heal.
- Catchphrase: "As it is written" (a reference to the Prophecy that says Earth would be their new world).
- Curb-Stomp Battle: A small army of Super Skrulls easily crushes Hawkeye, Wasp and Ms. Marvel.
- Enemy Mine: Madame Viper is shown helping the heroes fight the Super Skrulls.
- First-Name Basis: Veranke does this to Iron Man and Fury.
- Hero of Another Story: The Fantastic Four fought off a bunch of Skrulls after the Baxter Building was sucked into another dimension. Also an Offscreen Moment of Awesome.
- Humans Are Special: According to Cap.
- I Warned You: As they're surrounded by Super Skrulls:Hawkeye: I told you I wasn't a Skrull.
Ms. Marvel: If we survive this, I'll apologize.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Skrull Cap uses the photonic shield against the real Cap. It gives him a slight edge, but then Cap manages to destroy it.
- Meaningful Background Event:
- As Veranke's ship lands in Washington, we see the ship Cap and company are on fly by off in the distance.
- It was sunny in Washington when the Super Skrulls crushed the Avengers. It gets increasingly cloudy from there. There are even a few flashes of lightning right before Thor finally arrives.
- Mythology Gag: Kl'rt aside, two other Super Skrulls from Secret Invasion appear: the X-Men powered one and the one with Mr. Fantastic/Iron Man/Black Bolt/Dr. Strange as one for the Illuminati.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: After destroying the photonic shield, Cap just starts wailing on his Skrull imposter.
- Oh, Crap!: Iron Man is visibly shaken when he hears that Cap has been replaced. The remaining Avengers more so because they get to see it for themselves.Wasp: No!
Hawkeye: You! All this time you were the Skrull!
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Veranke personally tries to eliminate Iron Man and Fury's team. She later joins the main invasion effort in Washington.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: Veranke and Skrull Cap after Iron Man blasts them with his new Skrull detector. They're reverted into their true forms and unable to change back. The end of the episode states the technology was passed along to proper authorities to expose remaining Skrulls across the planet.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!:Skrull Cap: You can't possibly think you can beat me. We're the same. I have your strength, your skill. I know every thought you have.
Captain America: There's more to human beings than our bodies and minds — something you'll never understand. Our spirit! We never surrender! We never give up! Ever!
- Spared by the Adaptation: Instead of being shot, Veranke is taken into custody and locked up in a stasis tube.
- Take That!: Since Skrull Cap wears the same costume as the Captain America from the Ultimate Marvel universe, Cap's fight with him boils down to Mainstream Marvel versus Ultimate Marvel. Mainstream wins.
- Villainous Breakdown: Veranke. Not as extreme as other examples, but she noticeably loses her cool under pressure.Veranke: How can this be?